Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

Fridge wired to house battery?

I ran into something I thought was odd today. I’ve been in the process of upgrading from a lead acid house battery to two lithium ion batteries. Today, when installing the second battery, I used the switch in the RV to cut the power to the battery before messing around with it. My RV was still connected to shore power so everything on the 12V circuits that was running remained running, such as the lights and the fridge, because of the power converter. However, when I pulled off the wire to the battery, the fridge turned off. When I reconnected the wire to the battery, the fridge turned back on.

This seems wrong to me. Shouldn’t the fridge get its power from the converter when connected to shore power or am I misunderstanding how this should work? I’m new to RVing.

My RV is a Leprechaun 260DS.

Thanks for any info,
Richard
Mortvola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #2

I’m assuming you have a RV absorption refrigerator.

I suspect the refrigerator control board is wired directly to the battery so it will still have power to run the refrigerator on propane even if you are not on shore power. You would need this when boondocking.

When connected the shore power the converter will recharge the batteries. Or since both the cable from the converter and refrigerator attach to the battery terminals you can say the refrigerator is being powered by the converter.

Tags
battery, fridge, wire