Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #1

Front A/C unit won't turn on

Purchased new salem hemisphere 36fl. Got it home plugged up, turned on rear ac. Turned on front ac made a noise and won't turn on. Checked fuses and breaker. Its connected to dedicated 50amp.
Dnahamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Could be a lot of things. Pull the cover and make sure it's clean and the wasps haven't taken over. Check the fan bearings/shafts. Check the wiring up top while you are there and don't forget to unplug from power before you go up top.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #3

Thank you
Dnahamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

Changing AC to DC on back of panel

My travel trailer has a ac pre-wired opening for a second air conditioner in the bedroom. I want to install a 12v fantastic fan in the opening. Is it possible to change the pre-wired ac to dc at the distribution box?
kgriff5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #5

First to clarify when you said is this brand new or new to you? In either case did you do a PDI before bringing it home? And if so was it working then? If it was working then it could be the 50 amp from you house was not wired correctly and maybe only supplying 50 amp on one of two legs. Like a house it needs 50 amp 240 that basically splits into 2 legs 120 each leg 50 amps. Not sure how your 5er is wired but to my knowledge most are wired on the same circuit. With that said it could be a thermostat issue, bad AC, blown breaker or a wiring problem. If its brand new call the place you bought it and get them to fix it under warranty. If you get into it too much they could come back and claim you broke it. It's unfortunate but it could sit in their shop sometime to get them to fix it. Perhaps not. Hopefully its one of the breakers or even the thermostat.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnahamm View Post
Purchased new salem hemisphere 36fl. Got it home plugged up, turned on rear ac. Turned on front ac made a noise and won't turn on. Checked fuses and breaker. Its connected to dedicated 50amp.

If it is new contact the dealer. It should still be under the 1 year warranty.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #7

Are you plugged in to 30 or 50 amp power? Second ac may not work on 30 amp service if your unit has a power management system. I have 3 ac on my unit and power management system let's 1 ac operate on 30 amp power.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Are you plugged in to 30 or 50 amp power? Second ac may not work on 30 amp service if your unit has a power management system. I have 3 ac on my unit and power management system let's 1 ac operate on 30 amp power.

OP Stated he has TWO ac units a 50 amp Service and plugged into a 50 amp outlet.

His Load center will have the rear AC one side and the front on the other side.

I do not believe anything is overloaded. A bad start condenser on the front one, a stuck motor (Mud Daubers come to mind) could be the problem.