Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Furion radio is draining TT battery

Hello, all. First time posting a question.
We have a Coachman Freedom Express that uses a Furion radio. We know that to power down the radio, you hit the power button and hold in until the radio turns off. (Trailer is at home, not hooked up to shore power.)

A couple of days later, coming back to the TT, we find that the radio had gone into a 'stand by' mode, and the CO2 monitor is beeping (alerting us to the fact that the battery has lost power) DH then has to recharge the TT battery.

What are we doing wrong, or is there something else we should be doing when turning off the radio? Is this a flaw in the Furion radio? Has anyone else experienced this?
DH thinks that he should put in a power 'off' switch.

Any ideas? Thanks.
rsewald7313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

There are several things that can draw a battery down, such as the co detector, etc. Most will drain down in just a few days if you don't disconnect the battery completely. Some have a switch. If not then remove the battery cable.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

x2 could not of been said better.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #4

yes many things still draw power from the battery. can you run an extension cord from the house to the trailer. it doesn't have to be a big one, though bigger is better. the objective is to power the converter which will keep the batteries charged. even better would be to run the shore power cable from the trailer to a receptacle and use an adapter at the receptacle to attach the shore power cable.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

You could also try removing the Furrion face plate...

It does come off and you should have a little case to store it in when removed.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
There are several things that can draw a battery down, such as the co detector, etc. Most will drain down in just a few days if you don't disconnect the battery completely. Some have a switch. If not then remove the battery cable.

THIS ^^^

Remove the NEGATIVE battery cable and stow it where it cannot contact the POSITIVE battery terminal. If you remove the positive cable and it contacts the metal frame, it will cause a short circuit if the trailer is connected to 120 volt power. The connections at the battery are 12 volts DC, just like a car. No danger of getting a shock.

You can also install a battery switch like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BEP-701-Batte...battery+switch

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #7

In my case, the Furion Radio was always drawing power, whether it was off or in standby. That is because it is powering the clock and the digital display showing the time. I noticed that is was pulling the battery down when we were boon-docking one weekend. When I got home I pulled out the radio, determined which wire was my positive 12vdc and installed a toggle switch in the wire. Mounted the toggle switch on the cabinet front and reinstalled the radio. Now I can just flip the toggle switch to OFF and there is no power to the radio.
Colt45Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45Kid View Post
In my case, the Furion Radio was always drawing power, whether it was off or in standby. That is because it is powering the clock and the digital display showing the time. I noticed that is was pulling the battery down when we were boon-docking one weekend. When I got home I pulled out the radio, determined which wire was my positive 12vdc and installed a toggle switch in the wire. Mounted the toggle switch on the cabinet front and reinstalled the radio. Now I can just flip the toggle switch to OFF and there is no power to the radio.
Or you could just pull off the face plate...

One other thing that is a power draw that a lot of people overlook...the TV antenna amplifier (that little red or green light).

That draws 12-volts, so is on even without shore power, unless you shut it off manually.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain, radio