Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #1

Furnace not working

We just picked it up our brand new 2022 Apex Nano Off Grid 208BHS last Wednesday the 15th from the dealer. Walk through was thorough and went ok. So, my daughter has been dying to go somewhere. Given its December in Pennsylvania, and I work a lot, we decided to driveway camp last night. Over nights were in the 20’s.

The problem is with the furnace. It was running fine, and then just stopped working. Sometimes I could reset at the thermostat, other times not. Sometimes it would fire once and never come back when the thermostat called for it, sometimes it would work once or twice before not coming back on.

I was up most of the night troubleshooting. I poured over the forums and Google, downloaded the manual for the Suburban Airexcel NT-16SEQ, and even downloaded the service manual for the suburban furnaces.

I have 12v (allegedly), and hooked up to shore power. Gas bottle full, valves open, and in the correct position. I checked the fuses. I even opened the door to the right of the furnace and found the on/off switch. When I cycle that switch (after waiting 10-30 sec), the furnace kicks on.

So other than the obvious…return to dealer for warranty work…am I missing something, or something easy I could check? It’s a 3 hour drag back to the dealer, and we all know how back logged they are (not that we’re going anywhere anytime soon).

Just frustrated brand new and already issues.
PA_Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

Are you hooked up to shore power ? if you are i would guess sticky sail switch . furnace manufactures using cheaper stuff all the time . attwood furnaces are the worst for bad sail switches . if not hooked up to shore power then battery not giving enough juice to activate sail switch every time . there are plenty of minor things that can go wrong that prevent furnace from firing .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

You are hooked to shore power so I would recommend checking the output of the converter with a multi meter you can do this at the batteries you should see someting around 13.5 to 14 if the converter is putting out 12V.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

Camp Driveway is the best place to test drive new campers. While you're trouble shooting the furnace via the service manual burn-in the oven (if you have one) otherwise that first pizza or batch of brownies will taste like whatever oil they used during manufacture. Open all the windows and run all the fans -- horrible smell.

Self repair is strongly recommended. Dealers have more business than they can handle and there is no urgency on their part.

Neither Forest River nor your dealer warrant the appliances. Any RV shop can do warranty work, you just need to find one to work with. Local Jayco dealer serviced my Roo for years including things like a refrigerator recall, etc. I always made a service appointment and brought the camper over the day before it was scheduled so it didn't sit in their lot for months.

-- Chuck
Old 12-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Only suggestion I can make is have you run the stove top to make sure you have propane flowing. I have had the safety valve close off if I opened the tanks to fast or if it was really cold. Only way to reset was to unscrew the hose from the tank, release the pressure, reattach then slowly open the valve.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

All thanks for the replies. Now that the sun is up…I’m going to go measure the voltage at the batteries and converter. I read that if the furnace isn’t getting 12v, that will do it as well. It’s just weird how random it is. I mean, it’s mostly just running once and locking out until reset either at the thermostat, which works sometimes…or by powering down the furnace at the switch and flipping it back on. The biggest problem obviously is it isn’t firing automatically when the thermostat calls for it
PA_Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace