Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #1

Furnace question

Hey guys,
Brand new owner here (27í shockwave). Weíre out on our first trip with the trailer and I ran into a weird issue. When I turn the furnace on, itíll heat the trailer up and cut off, and maybe cut back on 1 or 2 more times, but then weíll wake up in the middle of the night and itís way below temp. I can to turn the temp way down, and cycle the power to get the furnace to turn on when I turn the thermostat back up.

Any ideas? Is that normal? Itís running off of battery power at night but the battery isnít dead.
Trentj9555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #2

Almost wonder if something is wrong with the t-stat. When you wake up and it’s cold if you turn the t-stat up does it kick on or you have to cycle to off and then back to heat for it to kick on?
B&w patriot 18k
fishwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

If you have a multimeter it would be helpful to know what the voltage is in the morning. I had a similar problem and it was because the battery drained down over-night.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

My bet is your furnace is draining your battery down to the point where it can no longer power it. The way to test this would be to plug into a generator or shore power and see if it works. Furnaces usually consume the most power from your battery and if you only have one battery and its cold and constantly running, youíll likely run out of juice overnight.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #5

I’m thinking you guys are right. We only have one battery so it could be that. I’m bumping the generator in the middle of the night to recharge the battery and that’s when it seems to work the best.

I’ll test tonight and see if I can restart the furnace without running the generator and see what it does. I’ve only got a single battery for now, it’s our first trip out and didn’t realize how quickly it would drain.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

My solar power display shows like 11 volts when I wake up cold I’ve noticed.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #7

Furnace question

If your battery is drained to the point where it wonít run the furnace a few hours of generator wonít fully recharge it. Problem is although your onboard charger will go into fast/bulk charging mode, it will only stay there until youíre at 70% and the last 30% will take some time. What most do is run the generator for a few hours in the AM this way you can run your coffee pot and your furnace and be charging the batteries. Run it again for a few hours before lights out and you can get the cabin pre heated for while charging the battery as well.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 10-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #8

So I got a second battery since mine died in the middle of the night last night. My question is: do I wire battery 1 with all positives and a jumper from battery 2 positive, and then battery 2 gets all negative with a jumper from battery 1 negative OR do I just put jumpers from battery 2 to battery 1 and leave battery one wired with all positive and negative cables?
Old 10-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentj9555 View Post
So I got a second battery since mine died in the middle of the night last night. My question is: do I wire battery 1 with all positives and a jumper from battery 2 positive, and then battery 2 gets all negative with a jumper from battery 1 negative OR do I just put jumpers from battery 2 to battery 1 and leave battery one wired with all positive and negative cables?

Google how to connect 12 volt batteries in parallel and understand the concept before attempting this. Itís easy to do right but, doing it wrong can hurt.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #10

Did you take your old battery in to get tested? Being new and going to low it can be damaged. Also, make sure the water is topped off.

You might want to look at an upgraded inverter and battery bank such as lithium.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #11

Everything seems to be ok, the batteries stayed charged through the night and barely dropped below 12.5v. Still had the original issue again though! Iíll set the thermostat to heat and 70 degrees. Itíll cut on and heat up but then once it hits 70, it doesnít come back on. I woke up and it was 55 degrees so I had to go and turn the thermostat to 53 until it clicked and then I was able to turn it back to 70 and have it cut on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
Did you take your old battery in to get tested? Being new and going to low it can be damaged. Also, make sure the water is topped off.

You might want to look at an upgraded inverter and battery bank such as lithium.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #12

Sounds like you may have a bad thermostat but if I were you, Iíd make sure it wasnít your batteries by plugging into shore power and see if you have the same issue. If you do hereís some tips on trouble shooting them https://rvwhisperer.com/how-to-check...rv-thermostat/
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 10-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #13

Airexcel seems to think it’s their thermostat so they’re sending me a new one. I’ve got to hand it to their customer service, I emailed a description of the problem and within 10 minutes and 2 emails, I was sending my address to get a new one shipped out.

Tags
furnace, question