Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2023, 02:14 AM   #1

Furnace questions in a 21 36vbds

I have a 2021 36vbds and I am wondering where my furnace is located at, and how I check/troubleshoot the sail switch or possible other problem. Furnace temporarily quit working but after a 5 minute “complete shutdown” it came back on and I have heat again, but would like to know so I can troubleshoot in the future in case something happens again
Thanks in advance
Geocain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Please post which brand your trailer is.
Salem and Wildwood both make a 36BVDS.
Also post make and model number of your furnace.
Asking for location of furnace is a model-specific question,not a general question.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:41 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. go on the outside of your rig the furnace will be located directly behind the exhaust and intake ports (you will feel hot exhaust blowing out) on the side of the rig. Make sure the furnace is running.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:55 AM   #4

Very sorry, it is a wildwood
Geocain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #5

Wait a minute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocain3 View Post
I have a 2021 36vbds and I am wondering where my furnace is located at, and how I check/troubleshoot the sail switch or possible other problem.
Inside the trailer, look for the big return air grille. The furnace is right behind it. You should use a #2 Robertson (square drive) bit to remove it, although sometimes combination head that also accept a #2 Phillips bit are used.

Outside the trailer, exactly corresponding to the inside location, you will see the air intake and exhaust vents. Sometimes it appears as two ports, around 2" each in diameter, sometimes two concentric ports.

Everybody wants to mess with the sail switch because it's the only part they understand. If your furnace ignites and runs, it's not the sail switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocain3 View Post
Furnace temporarily quit working but after a 5 minute “complete shutdown” it came back on and I have heat again, but would like to know so I can troubleshoot in the future in case something happens again
Thanks in advance
This is much more likely to be the over-temperature high-limit switch. If the furnace gets too hot, it will shut down, even if the thermostat is still calling for heat. The plenum (where all the ducts connect) has gotten excessively hot.
Why does this happen?
Has someone obscured some outlet ducts? Maybe replaced the open floor vents with damper vents? Or put carpets down, covering vents. The manual tells you NOT TO DO THIS! Or maybe when you take off the return air grille you will find an excess of e.g., dog hair (we have a very hairy dog...) restricting return air flow.

If you want to confirm that it's the limit switch, and your furnace is an SF-series furnace, take off the grille. On the top front edge of the plenum, right in the center, is a sensor with a slide-on connector at each end--that's the hi-limit switch. It opens if the temperature gets too high. Run the furnace until it stops again. Jumper across the switch, or remove one wire and touch it to the other. If the furnace re-starts, that's the problem. Resolve it, as stated above, by cleaning/clearing the airflow paths.

DO NOT LEAVE THE LIMIT SWITCH BYPASSED. It is dangerous and could burn up your trailer.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, question, questions