Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

Furnace/ Thermostat Help

Hello folks,
Got a problem and need some help/advice. I have a 2005 Palomino Stampede. This past week were up in the UP of Michigan camping. It got a bit chilly at night and when I went to turn on the furnace, nothing happened. We made do with a couple of extra blankets. Got home and started trying to troubleshoot the problem. Fuse is good at the distribution panel. I then checked the t-stat by disconnecting the white wire and touched it to the red wire and nothing came on. I then touched the white wire to the green ground wire and the blower came on ran for about 20-30 seconds and then the heat kicked in and everything was working fine. I removed the white wire from the green terminal and it shut down after about 20-30 seconds. The t-stat is a Dometic Duo Therm analog t-stat. So am I correct in assuming my t-stat is bad since moving the temperature slider up and down does not turn the blower or furnace on? Second, the A/C is a constant On/Off with only Hi/Low Fan setting, so am I stuck with just replacing the analog t-stat or would a digital t-stat work for our camper. Everything in the camper is original. All seems to be working fine accept for the furnace issue with the t-stat.

Thanks in advance!

Art
Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

It's all on this website for changing out you analog for a digital Tstat.
RV Mods, Modifications, Parts, Tips, and Tech | ModMyRV
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Team

It certainly sounds like the thermostat is the issue.

Is that thermostat for furnace only, or furnace and A/C?

There have been a lot of people replaced the heat/cool thermostats with household digital units, myself included and they work great.

Even if it's just furnace only, you can still use a digital household thermostat. You can get a heat only digital or a heat/cool unit. With the heat/cool unit you just won't use the cooling section of it.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. For now I'm just going to replace the t-stat with a stock one. Found it on Amazon and it will be here Monday.
Tank178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank178 View Post
Thanks for the replies. For now I'm just going to replace the t-stat with a stock one. Found it on Amazon and it will be here Monday.
Digital is so much more accurate than the analog one you have now. I've had both, I'll never go back to analog!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #6

The new t-stat arrived today and I installed it. Everything is working again! We have one more trip planned for Labor Day weekend, after that I will begin removing taking everything out and replacing the floor. We had a leak that went undetected until we started getting some soft spots in the floor. Maybe next year I will upgrade to a digital t-stat.

Quick question about the digital t-stats: The current T-stat and AC has just a constant On with a high and low setting for the fan. If I replace the stock t-stat, will a digital one work with the AC or am I stuck needing one with the Hi/Low switch on the side?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank178 View Post
The new t-stat arrived today and I installed it. Everything is working again! We have one more trip planned for Labor Day weekend, after that I will begin removing taking everything out and replacing the floor. We had a leak that went undetected until we started getting some soft spots in the floor. Maybe next year I will upgrade to a digital t-stat.

Quick question about the digital t-stats: The current T-stat and AC has just a constant On with a high and low setting for the fan. If I replace the stock t-stat, will a digital one work with the AC or am I stuck needing one with the Hi/Low switch on the side?
The digital has hi/lo/auto fansettings which works with both A/C and heat. The good part about digital is it's easier to set the temp accurately without having to continually slide the temp up/down to get the right temp you want which is near impossible to do with the analog thermostats. I had any analog with my TT and sometimes it took me 4-5 or more attempts to set the right temp to make both me and the DW happy!! The analog slider was a PITA. Search online for Dometic Digital thermostats. I picked the one that had the right price - came in just a couple days. Also, you'll want to get that how to change from analog to digital thermostats mentioned before.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It certainly sounds like the thermostat is the issue.

Is that thermostat for furnace only, or furnace and A/C?

There have been a lot of people replaced the heat/cool thermostats with household digital units, myself included and they work great.

Even if it's just furnace only, you can still use a digital household thermostat. You can get a heat only digital or a heat/cool unit. With the heat/cool unit you just won't use the cooling section of it.
Say what?? The digital will work with both heat and cool!!

Tags
furnace, thermostat