Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #1

Furrion 10 cu not cooling

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 2021 Cherokee Arctic Fox, which was delivered two days ago. Got everything set up, read over the fridge manual, and turned the fridge on. Left it on overnight, checked it again and it wasnt cold at all on max setting. Next night same thing.

The fridge is a Furrion 10 cu 12 volt model, wired straight to the battery, bypasses the inverter entirely.

The lights come on, when you turn the dial the fan kicks on and the compressor rumbles. Put my ear to the freezer floor, can hear some bubbling. Circuit draws 4 amps while running, but theres a minuscule drop in temperature versus the 70 degrees inside the unit. Checked the wiring and it's all wired up according to the diagram and the electrical seems to be working. Battery charges at 13.7 and holds at 13.2 with converter off fridge only for 10 minutes.

None of the refrigerant lines change in temperature despite everything running. Is it a refrigerant issue perhaps? Its r134a sealed refrigeration.

Despite it being under warranty I'm not in a situation where I can take it back to the dealer without costing more money than it would be to replace myself. HVAC and RV repairmen in the area won't go anywhere near it. I'm leaning toward no refrigerant but wanted to ask here for any advice. TIA
metelhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #2

Sorry, I can’t be of help, but this seems like the umteenth recent problem reported with these 2020/2021 model year 12 volt refrigerators. It’s to the point they need their own subforum.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Team

If the compressor is running it most likely has some refrigerant. The biggest issue is trying to find someone that is willing to work on it.

Have you tried a mobile RV repair place, if there's any within range of your location?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

We have called every mobile RV repair shop in the area, they won't work on Furrion fridges, only recommend and replace with a new unit
Old 08-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by metelhed View Post
We have called every mobile RV repair shop in the area, they won't work on Furrion fridges, only recommend and replace with a new unit
Unfortunately, I'm seeing this a LOT on R/V forums with both Furrion and Norcold. (possibly made by the same manufacturer?)

The refrigerators are dead out of the box or within the first use or two.
No one wants to service them and new ones can take weeks to get.

I believe this particular manufacturing blunder was a case of rushing the product to the consumer without proper R&D and testing.

12v refrigerators have been around a LONG time with mostly positive results in remote living areas. The concept isn't new but the current R/V product is awful.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #6

i wouldn't be looking for someone to repair it. i think a full replacement of the refrigerator would be easier. now the problem is getting the replacement refrigerator.

try calling the dealer as see what he says. of perhaps getting a mobile rv tech to confirm that it is not working. pus you can call forest river and furrion.

what a pain. the manufacturers of residential refrigerators balk on honoring their warranties if it is installed in a rv. don't let furrion try that!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 2021 Cherokee Arctic Fox, which was delivered two days ago. Got everything set up, read over the fridge manual, and turned the fridge on. Left it on overnight, checked it again and it wasnt cold at all on max setting. Next night same thing.

The fridge is a Furrion 10 cu 12 volt model, wired straight to the battery, bypasses the inverter entirely.

The lights come on, when you turn the dial the fan kicks on and the compressor rumbles. Put my ear to the freezer floor, can hear some bubbling. Circuit draws 4 amps while running, but theres a minuscule drop in temperature versus the 70 degrees inside the unit. Checked the wiring and it's all wired up according to the diagram and the electrical seems to be working. Battery charges at 13.7 and holds at 13.2 with converter off fridge only for 10 minutes.

None of the refrigerant lines change in temperature despite everything running. Is it a refrigerant issue perhaps? Its r134a sealed refrigeration.

Despite it being under warranty I'm not in a situation where I can take it back to the dealer without costing more money than it would be to replace myself. HVAC and RV repairmen in the area won't go anywhere near it. I'm leaning toward no refrigerant but wanted to ask here for any advice. TIA
Just to be clear, are you not close to the dealer that you bought it from? Is there another Forest River dealer close by?
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i wouldn't be looking for someone to repair it. i think a full replacement of the refrigerator would be easier. now the problem is getting the replacement refrigerator.

try calling the dealer as see what he says. of perhaps getting a mobile rv tech to confirm that it is not working. pus you can call forest river and furrion.

what a pain. the manufacturers of residential refrigerators balk on honoring their warranties if it is installed in a rv. don't let furrion try that!
We contacted Furrion, Forest River, and the RV Dealer. They will not honor a warranty unless it's taken back to the dealership, and any mobile guys around here either don't do warranty work or will not do warranty work on Furrion. I've all but given up on a warranty, given our current situation it would be more expensive to send the camper back for us to get it repaired.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
We contacted Furrion, Forest River, and the RV Dealer. They will not honor a warranty unless it's taken back to the dealership, and any mobile guys around here either don't do warranty work or will not do warranty work on Furrion. I've all but given up on a warranty, given our current situation it would be more expensive to send the camper back for us to get it repaired.
In all my years visiting R/V forums and talking with folks I have never heard of a manufacturer (Forest River in this case) say a unit HAD to be returned to the dealer it was purchased from to get warranty repairs.

Sure you 'may' be put at the bottom of the list since you didn't purchase there but I know for a fact FR has found dealers (other than the selling dealer) to work on a unit not purchased from that dealer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #10

Almost ALL warranty work has to be done by taking it to a dealer, regardless whether it's the one you bought it from or another dealer. They're not going to come to you. That goes for virtually all TT, PUP, Class c, etc. You'll just have to take it yourself or basically you don't have a warranty.
BTW I just got a Cherokee with the same fridge and it works fine. I know this sounds stupid and don't get mad but are you sure you aren't turning it OFF instead of ON COLD?
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #11

Haha we verified we were using the temperature knob correctly, we went through the manual multiple times in the last few days.
We live full time in it, so the cost of finding a new place while it's in would end up costing more than a replacement.
Seems like at this point the best option is to get a new one and hope for the best. I'll be tinkering with the old one until then.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Haha we verified we were using the temperature knob correctly, we went through the manual multiple times in the last few days.
We live full time in it, so the cost of finding a new place while it's in would end up costing more than a replacement.
Seems like at this point the best option is to get a new one and hope for the best. I'll be tinkering with the old one until then.
I'm guessing you'll be looking at other brands for the replacement. If you don't have time for a lot for research, maybe start a thread here about 12V RV fridge reliability by brand. Not scientific, but at least some input. I settled on Nova Kool, but sheesh ... "four to six weeks" to get one and its already past four weeks.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Maybe call the dealer and let them know your predicament, and see if you can remove the fridge and bring it to them? I don't think they'd go for it, but it would at least be worth a shot.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #14

Thanks for the tip, I'll get a thread going once I get the dimensions off the old one. I would like to find one of similar size for ease of install, they built a cabinet for that fridge specifically
Old 08-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Maybe call the dealer and let them know your predicament, and see if you can remove the fridge and bring it to them? I don't think they'd go for it, but it would at least be worth a shot.

What we were told by the dealer was if we pulled it out it would void the warranty, furrion told us the same thing, they want the whole unit intact for a warranty claim
Old 08-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
What we were told by the dealer was if we pulled it out it would void the warranty, furrion told us the same thing, they want the whole unit intact for a warranty claim
I kind of figured that would be the case. Wow, lousy situation you guys are in. Sorry to hear it.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #17

Every dealer should have tested every thing in the RV to make sure it works before it is delivered. Or, like every RV I have bought, the dealer had everything working when I came to pick it up. If the frig worked when it was at the dealer and it does not work now, something happened between the dealer and your place. Or you are not doing something right. My daughter and son-in-law just took delivery of a new Puma TT and the dealer had the frig working and the A/C on when we went to pick it up. It has a 12 volt ever chill 10cf frig an it works great.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Every dealer would have tested every thing in the RV to make sure it works before it is delivered. Or, I like every RV I have bought, the dealer had everything working when I came to pick it up. If the frig worked when it was at the dealer and it does not work now, something happened between the dealer and your place. Or you are not doing something right.
“Every dealer would have tested every thing in the RV to make sure it works before it is delivered”.

That is sarcasm, right?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #19

If they did not test everything in it to make sure it works then I would not have accepted it until they did.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Every dealer should have tested every thing in the RV to make sure it works before it is delivered. Or, like every RV I have bought, the dealer had everything working when I came to pick it up. If the frig worked when it was at the dealer and it does not work now, something happened between the dealer and your place. Or you are not doing something right. My daughter and son-in-law just took delivery of a new Puma TT and the dealer had the frig working and the A/C on when we went to pick it up. It has a 12 volt ever chill 10cf frig an it works great.
I bough a 2020 Wildwod 171RBXL in May. It has the 12v Ever Chill refrigerator and it too has been working great. It has been on most of the time since May because we have been taking short trips every couple of weeks and leave the trailer plugged in at home. Most of the problems I have been reading about have not been the Ever Chill brand.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, furrion, refrigerator