Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

Furrion radio and shower light problems

I'm hoping someone can help with a couple issues we have with our new 2020 Flagstaff 228BHSE pop-up. We cannot figure out how to disable power to the Furrion DV7100 radio. It is still lit/powered with power to the camper disconnected, the swing galley lowered, and all circuit breakers flipped. It's draining our battery. Holding down the power button just puts it in standby mode, with time displayed and the power button lit. Any ideas how to turn it off without disconnecting the battery?

Also, the light over the shower will not turn off when we're all set up and using the camper. There is a rubberized switch. You can hear it click, but it doesn't turn off. The dealer service department (6.5 hrs away) was no help over the phone. We think the switch is bad, but can't figure out how to remove the light to see about replacing it.

Thanks for any help!
bmmburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Until you can find the switch or how to turn it off, use the battery disconnect.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #3

Sounds like they wired the power circuit to the power lead rather then the memory lead. May have to pull it out, check with a meter and resplice it.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #4

The Furrion is 12V

I don't have your model camper, but the radio should have a 12V blade fuse. In my TT, you have to pull the fuse to shut off the radio (completely).
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
I don't have your model camper, but the radio should have a 12V blade fuse. In my TT, you have to pull the fuse to shut of the radio (completely).
Yep, unless you disconnect the battery either at the terminal or the batt disconnect.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips!
bmmburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

In pop-ups (and A-frames and possibly other small trailers), the stereo is on a DC circuit that is shared with other things, like your porch light, tongue light (if you have one), CO/propane detector. So pulling the fuse is not practical. And Forest River doesn't install battery cut-off in pop-ups or A-frames.

The problem with the stereo is that it has 2 power leads (DC +12V) for automotive use. In a car, the main power runs through the ignition relay so that when you turn the key off or shut the engine off, it shuts the stereo "off". But modern electronics requires a small amount of power to keep the memory live (radio station presets, equalizer settings, etc) so a separate 12V+ wire is run directly to the battery, bypassing the ignition switch. The battery drain of computer and stereo memory does add up over time on a modern car; expect a dead battery in a few weeks if the car is not started.

In the pop-up campers and A-frames, both 12V+ wires are run directly to 12V power, with no ignition relay. So the stereo turns itself on from standby whenever there is a sudden detectable change in voltage in the 12V power. Examples are turning a battery cut-off on or off, plugging/unplugging shore power. Mine would even pop on just by plugging into the tow vehicle. If things are quiet, you can usually here the speakers "pop" when this happens.

The cure is to install a power switch in at least the main 12V+ wire of the stereo. I used an automotive power switch that looked similar to the other camper switches from the auto parts store. I tied the "keep alive" lead into the switch as well to get rid of all power drains from the stereo. But if the "keep-alive" is switched off, you lose the radio station presets, and any custom settings on the equalizer. When you turn the switch on, everything reverts to defaults - just like when you replace your car's battery. I don't mind because radio presets are useless and I don't use the stereo enough to care about losing equalizer setup. If the equalizer matters, you want a better stereo, better speakers, and a second outside speaker.

A battery cut-off switch is a great idea in addition to the stereo power switch. There are other parasitic draws to run your battery down besides the stereo - propane/CO detector and the fridge control boards to name the 3 major ones. I mount a marine battery cut-off switch on the outside of the battery box for whenever I store the A-frame not plugged in.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Radio whirring sound

Thanks for the great information! I love this board. Does anyone get a whirring sound, like a cd disc running, when the Furion radio is on? It's very irritating!
kszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszac View Post
Thanks for the great information! I love this board. Does anyone get a whirring sound, like a cd disc running, when the Furion radio is on? It's very irritating!
Sure its not the converter fan?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Sure its not the converter fan?
Hmm, didn't think of that. I'm not sure where mine is. In my old camper the convertor fan only went on if there were a lot of things on at the same time. I get this sound only when the radio is turned on. Even if it's the only thing running. I've never heard it otherwise.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszac View Post
Hit the eject button. It sounds like there is a CD/DVD in it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #12

Nope, no CD in. Checked that because that's what it sounds like.

Tags
light, radio, show, shower