Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

Furrion wireless observation system

Greeting,
DW and i just purchased a 2019 Cherokee 274VFK and it is wired for the Furrion camera. I bought the wireless system from our dealer. The installation instructions mention a camera cable filter. I didn't get this filter and I don't see it listed any place. I can check with my dealer later, just thought that I would ask if anyone else has this filter or is it really needed?

Thanks,
Willie
Old Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #2

I just purchased the Furrion camera package listed below in my signature line, and even though the instruction manual showed a filter, there was none attached to the camera power cable. Mine seems to work okay without it.
/s/ George Hay Kain, III - 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL; 2013 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4; ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System; Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000 lb; Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System.
ghkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. That is the same system that we have and I will try it and see how it works.

Willie
Old 08-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

I got the camera installed this afternoon. Our trailer is in our pole which has doors on each end. The camera works great setting in the pole barn. We have a trip planned in two weeks, so we'll see how it works on the road. I had to remember to turn the automatic headlight control off.

Willie
Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

What they are talking about are called 'Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip' (copied off radio shack), I've seen them called chokes. They come in different diameters and help prevent electrical interference. I put 1 on my camera power cord and 3 on the receiver power cord. I can't honestly tell you if they work or not, the receiver still loses picture when I pass under the large power lines. But they were cheap, so it didn't hurt anything.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
What they are talking about are called 'Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip' (copied off radio shack), I've seen them called chokes. They come in different diameters and help prevent electrical interference. I put 1 on my camera power cord and 3 on the receiver power cord. I can't honestly tell you if they work or not, the receiver still loses picture when I pass under the large power lines. But they were cheap, so it didn't hurt anything.
The main purpose of the filters (you see them on computer accessories all the time) is to minimize radio-frequency emissions from the cord which would otherwise serve as a transmitting antenna.

In other words, the filter doesn't improve the performance of the appliance it's on. Instead, it prevents that appliance from interfering with other ones.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The main purpose of the filters (you see them on computer accessories all the time) is to minimize radio-frequency emissions from the cord which would otherwise serve as a transmitting antenna.

In other words, the filter doesn't improve the performance of the appliance it's on. Instead, it prevents that appliance from interfering with other ones.

Larry
That’s only part of what a ferrite bead is used for, it is also used to prevent EMI to a device. Which is used to improve the performance of the cable (appliance) on which it is used. If you are having EMI issues that always effect your system a ferrite bead may improve the camera system.
casey_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Smile Observation Camera

We purchased our new camper in june and installed the furrion observation camera later that week, there was no filter in our package. We have made 3 camping trips with the longest to a site 200 miles away and the observation camera worked perfectly. No problems.
221fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #9

That's good to know. we have a trip planned that is 300 niles one way and I'm anxious to see how it does!

Willie
Old 08-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

first trip and it worked great!

We are in Three Springs campground south of Rolla, MO. This is a 300 mile drive from our home and our camera worked just fine. It was costly but it was an easy install and it works!

Willie