Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Generator shutting down

Hope somebody can help me with this. Onan gen runs fine with no load. A/c runs fine on shore power. Gen shuts down in about 5 seconds after turning a/c on with the generator running. The gen will start right back up after turning the a/c off. Gas and oil levels plenty good. Filters etc all good and clean. This all started about 2 years ago as a intermittent thing. Thanks in advance.
rrmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #2

If "Gas" means Gasoline then the issue is simple, fuel starvation. The demand is more than the onan fuel pump can handle. The gas tank may be too far from the gen and fuel pump can't pull the fuel fast enough anymore. Toy haulers are famous for this problem, they put the gas tank in the back of the RV and gen is in the front. The best solution if this is the case is to put a fuel pump back near the tank and eliminate the Onan fuel pump completely. I've had to do this many times for folks who have this very problem. Good Luck
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #3

Daycruiser, when I start the gen back up I don't have to prime it. Shouldn't it be completely out of gas and need re priming? Also what fuel pump or you adding to it?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmccorm View Post
Daycruiser, when I start the gen back up I don't have to prime it. Shouldn't it be completely out of gas and need re priming? Also what fuel pump or you adding to it?

My gen would start right back up after it shut down, the reason was the built in fuel pump could pull just enough fuel to start it. Soon as you put a load on it it would use the fuel faster than the pump could pull it from the tank and off she went. I completely remove the onan fuel pump from the gen set. I install an inline automotive 12v fuel pump and fuel filter about 24inches from the tank along the frame beam. Run new fuel line from the pump up to the fuel inlet on the gen set which I modify to come up into the gen set directly beneath fuel inlet. The factory has the fuel and vapor line come in from the left side. The vapor line can stay the way it is, no need to mess with that line. Then run a new fuel pump wire back to the new fuel pump and ground the fuel pump to the frame beam. This will push the fuel to the gen set and you won't have anymore issues. One like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQTB798...1-7fb6059bc3dc
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Daycruiser, thanks for your taking the time to help me with my gen problem. What you're saying makes perfect sense. The Amazon link you sent shows a low and high pressure pump. The high pressure one was hi-lited when the ad came up. I know the one on the gen is a low pressure. Did you go with the high? Thanks again!

Tags
generator