Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

Genesis 3.0 with weird Surround problem

Just came back from our first trip with our 2015 Flagstaff 27RLWS. All went well except for the sound system. Equipped with Genesis 3.0. Played CD's and radio great. Decent sound, and could switch speaker sets A,B, & C no problem. (A being living room, B bedroom, and C outside).

Problem arose when we tried to play a DVD through the system. Picture on the TV is fine, but the surround system will play only the rear speaker information through the A speakers. (Wind, rain, background music etc.) If I turn on the B or C speaker sets, the front speaker information plays through them (which of course includes all dialogue)

Tried everything in the manual as far as set up that I could see, and set the unit back to factory specs, but no improvement.

I have just sent an Email to Concertone, but was wondering if any one else has run into this problem, and I have just missed something in set up or operation? Or is the trailer wired wrong. Or do I just get binoculars and watch movies from my bedroom.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

Sounds like it was decoding the DVD into surround. Is it possible to select a different playback for sound on DVD?

1999 Silverado with tow package

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

That's what I was thinking, but don't know how to do that.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilscreekw View Post
That's what I was thinking, but don't know how to do that.
When you put DVD in and it starts before you hit play then you can bring up the speaker and other things I think you hit menu on the remote. You can't do anything on sound until then. It's weird I know but they are still pretty good for running on 12v. Is that what you are talking about?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Surround sound is only available on the A speakers (if it was wired correctly).

Button "25" (audio) on your remote will cycle through the surround options.

You can shut off the 5.1 surround and only use stereo in the audio menu as well.

Manual attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	52796  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT-3.0-5-4.pdf (1.89 MB, 51 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

Wink

Thanks Lou, Laura and Bella (though I am an English Pointer guy)

I went through those menus, and set them the way they showed in the manual and your post, but with no success. If I set the system to stereo as you suggest, if the DVD is a newer one with a separate commentary track in the Special Features menu, that is what plays on all 5 living room speakers. (and nothing else) If it is an old one with no commentary, the dialogue may play in stereo.

If I change to French or Spanish language, I will get dialogue in stereo. Though I am Canadian, my French is not that great, and too much work. Spanish sounds nice.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #7

If it's anything like my trailer was, it's because those at the factory don't know how to properly hook up a 5.1 surround sound system. In my case I had to rewire all 5 speakers, as the right rear speaker was hooked up to the center channel, and the other 4 were connected to the wrong channel as well. I also had to pull the center channel speaker from the ceiling and rewire that, as the person who assembled it was clearly lazy and FR had no interest in making sure it worked properly.

When I tested the stereo out before buying, I checked the stereo and it sounded great. It wasn't until I tried to watch a DVD that I realized all the speakers were hooked up wrong.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #8

Thanks bitNine. I may have to do this as well. I am thinking that all my living room speakers are attached to the rear outputs. My selling dealer is 13 hrs away, and he didn't know how to set up a weight dist. hitch when I picked it up, so I'm sure this is beyond them.

Would be nice to have a wiring diagram or a photo for setup. Would be even nicer if FR had one.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks bitNine. I may have to do this as well. I am thinking that all my living room speakers are attached to the rear outputs. My selling dealer is 13 hrs away, and he didn't know how to set up a weight dist. hitch when I picked it up, so I'm sure this is beyond them.

Would be nice to have a wiring diagram or a photo for setup. Would be even nicer if FR had one.
Let me look. I think there is one in the manual.
If the installers used the color code supplied by Concertone, the speakers should work as advertised.

Here is the wiring diagram for the 3.0 (I also found the 2.0 if you need it)

Herk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genesis 3.0 Speaker Wires.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	52819  
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Yes I do have the manual. I am really feeling I will pull it out and check against the diagram (as soon as it stops raining later this week). Have some other stuff to do with it that's more pressing.

Will keep you guys apprised of my progress. It's either that or a call to Rosetta Stone to work on my Spanish.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #11

Well since it's still kinda raining, and this was really bugging me, I thought I'd pull the unit out this morning, and check all the speaker wires.

Too bad I cracked the little faceplate that covers the mounting screws. I don't think it's really supposed to come off once it's on tight, as it has little teeth all the way around. Just broke in one place and Super Glue should hide it.

It appears that the unit has small wires coming out of the unit, all color coded, and these are crimp locked to the thicker color coded wires coming from the speakers.

I checked all the small wires and they were all correct. I then started to check the crimp connectors to the speaker wires. Lo and Behold, one wire to the centre speaker and one wire to the right front speaker were not connected at all. I would surmise that when they crimped the connectors they didn't bother to make sure the wires were in place first. Neither bare wire showed any indication that it had been in a connector at all. I checked all the rest, then used blue butt connectors to join the two speakers to the unit.

Long story short, everything works perfectly now. You would think that they would have tested it at the factory after installation. I find it doubtful those wires would pop out on their own during travel. Obviously the dealer never checked it.

Thanks Lou, bitNine and all for your advice
Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #12

That's essentially my experience. There were a few other connectors that I redid because it looked as if they weren't solid. My center speaker was just as you described. One wire completely disconnected. It hasn't even been stripped of its jacket before it was crimped. Any complete idiot could take a test DVD which goes through and tests each of the 6 speakers in a 5.1 surround setup in about 30 seconds. But no... not Forest River.

Glad you got it figured out!!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #13

I agree with bitnine

My 3.0 on my new Palamino 32RCTS was cross wired between the A,B, & C speaker sets. When I pumped through the A set it would play outside on the C set, etc etc. I imagine you have the same type of problem. I rewired my entire system from the rear of the unit by "toning out the speakers" and than cutting and splicing. On the back of the unit there a color coded pigtails that match the manual but the manufacturer used any color wire they had laying around from the pigtail so that Is why I toned them out and than created my own new wiring diagram. I also discovered that they forgot (I am being kind) to install my subwoofer. I do not mean it wasn't wired, it was not even present. Let me know if you need an easy way to tone out the wires. When you pull the unit out it is a birds nest back there. This might also be a good time to install a digital optical sound cable if your TV supports that function.

Good luck

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #14

SubWoofer?

I was wondering about the subwoofer while I was working on the unit. I thought It was supposed to be mounted in the cabinet under the unit, but I didn't see it.

Davidceder, is there a way to tone out the five speakers without pulling the unit out again?

My home 1000 watt RCA surround has a button on the remote which does it easily.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #15

What do you mean...toning out? Are you using the balance and fader to go to right front, left front..etc?

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 05-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #16

Toning out

1) The unit will need to be removed so you can get to the pig tails. I have had mine out a dozen times.

2) By toning out I mean sending a signal to each speaker from the pig tail so you know which set of pig tails are connected to which speaker. I use a 9 Volt battery. If you can connect a set of wires to a 9 Volt Battery and touch the + and - wires to the appropriate pins on the pigtail block that speaker will make a (crackling sound) and you can identify if it is wired correctly. Lets say the red/red black stripe pigtail is supposed to go to speaker set" A Right" but when you tone it the outside left makes the crackle, hence it is wired wrong. I took an old garage remote that had a wired 9 Volt connector, you know the kind that snaps onto the battery. I cut the connector leaving some few inches of wire, stripped the ends and had my toner. I also kept good records of the new wiring scheme as I splice them correctly, for future reference. I cannot remember if my subwoofer made the crackling sound but I think it did.

Its not hard to do. An extra set of hands help espeicalyl to listen to the outside speakers. On the outside speakesr I made the decision I would wire Left/Right from a reference of my back to the rig since that is how I usually sit. If you sit facing the rig you can do the opposite. In reality since it is stereo it doesn't matter which is left or right.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance and again good luck.

David

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #17

Good idea. As an old school car stereo installer, I used to use battery as well. We called it popping the speakers. I would recommend using a 1.5 volt battery to minimize voltage going to speakers. You could damage them easily. Great ideas though...

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 05-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #18

Balance & Fader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
What do you mean...toning out? Are you using the balance and fader to go to right front, left front..etc?

remotes and control panel seem to be incapable of making such adjustments. I will check in the Flagstaff forum to see if anyone knows where the subwoofer is located. It definitely had two wires going to it, though two other subwoofer wires were not attached to anything.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks Lou, bitNine and all for your advice
Don't thank me. I am kicking myself that I did not warn you about taking the face plate off. There are two screwdriver slots in the bottom and then it lifts away and up.

Would have been good to know before you broke it.
I am such a knucklehead sometimes.

I broke mine in the same place.

I even have pictures in the library.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #20

I knew about the screwdriver slots, was ever so careful, and it still broke.

Was kinda sure that the subwoofer wasn't functioning. On mine it's behind a false wall in the centre cabinet. Stuck my hand over and could feel no pulse.

Pulled the Genesis again, checked the wires from the unit to the sub. They were good.

Pulled out the false wall (fun getting it out the door opening) and found that one of the subwoofer wires had fallen out of its crimp connector. Their problem is the connectors they are using. The wires go in parallel, but one is very heavy and one is light. They crimp down once, then the light wire falls out because the crimp is being held off due to the thickness of the larger wire. I replaced them with blue butt connectors so each wire is crimped separately.

It sounds good now.