Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Red face Genesis GT-2.0 No Sound

Yes, I admit, I hooked up the battery backwards. I am so ashamed. After I replaced the fuses that protect the wiring, etc. (from people like me), it seems most everything works except for the GT-2.0 radio speakers.It appears the radio itself is working, just no sound from the speakers.I plugged a home-style stereo amp into speakers and they make static (I didn't take the time to hook up the fm antenna). My question is, can reverse polarity fry the GT-2.0 output amp?Any other ideas?
BigBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Some of these radios (I can't say which) have their own fuse... either in line OR in the unit itself. These are often blown in cases like this.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Yes there is an in line fuse which is fine. Radio does turn on.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Red face Gt-2.0 no sound

I checked the inline fuse and it is OK. Is it possible to fry the amp without blowing that fuse?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #5

Just a thought, if something happen to the board. Try adjusting volume using the remote. Sorry all I have. My board went bonkers and not worth fixing, but the remote works the radio fine.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

It is not only possible...but likely that reverse polarity can fry the output transistors on your radio.
You have power so the 15A fuse is good. Question...if you put in a DVD...do you get a picture on the TV without sound?
If YES...then you could buy a small amp to come off the audio output jacks...and wire your speakers to that since the signal path would not be impacted...just the amplification. If NO...time for a new radio.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

I just replaced my Genesis 2.0 with model 3.0. Hopefully, you will find a fix for your problem, but in case you don't, beware: The Genesis manufacturer is out of business. After a lot of trying I found a distributor online that apparently bought up remaining stock and was offering the newer 3.0 for sale. They suggest that you order an adapter harness for easier conversion to wiring for the older 2.0. Problem is, they no longer have the adaptor harness. As I'm sure you've noticed, the wiring looks like a batch of multi-colored spaghetti, but making the connections without the harness is possible. If you need to replace the unit, make sure you carefully label all of the wires on both sides of the connectors before you remove the old unit. You can follow the wiring diagram printed on the tops of both units, but all of the wire colors don't match, and on my unit the wire colors in the trailer don't match the colors on the radio side. Also, if you have to go the replacement route, you will find that virtually all RV radio/DVD units now available are designed for a horizontal cutout. After I purchased my Genesis 3.0 I came across a posting on this site or possibly another RV site that referred to a different brand unit available from Crutchfield that fits the vertical cutout. Good luck with your fix.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

GT-2.0 no sound

Cam, I have no TV (yet). Trying to keep the camping experience minus the boob tube. Good idea on the amp. I'll also check Crutchfield.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Lewie, Thanx for the info. I did find the mfg online and appeared to be in business (but maybe was the other company). I was surprised that the list price for this unit was something like $599! Way out there. As I mentioned to Cam, I'll check Crutchfield. I can handle the wiring. (just like I handled the battery wiring - lol)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBub View Post
Cam, I have no TV (yet). Trying to keep the camping experience minus the boob tube. Good idea on the amp. I'll also check Crutchfield.
OK...understood on the TV...So, the idea is to simply check if you have low level sound output on your radio. Without a TV...the easiest way is to find or borrow a boombox or a bluetooth speaker with an auxiliary headphone type jack input....then wire up a Y cable terminating in a stereo headphone jack from your radio and see if you have sound. This is what I'm talking about...Jacks go to red/white outputs on the radio...plug goes to boombox etc.
amazon has em ...https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Pl...W7WBCS9A0ZG8FV

Crutchfield has several "RV" models of players if that doesn't work out at far more reasonable prices
RV Audio/Video at Crutchfield.com

If you don't need video...just get a decent car stereo and make up an adapter plate to cover the hole...but the iRV and Jensen at $299 & 329 would be good choices too if you can fit and trim them out since the sizes are not exact. Note also that Crutchfield sells a $20 adapter that lets you plug their iRV models into GENESIS wiring harnesses so you don't need to reverse polarity again!
All best...Cam
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #11

Genesis Technologies GT 2.0

Hi.
I have GT 2.0, and also reversed the polarity when I was connecting the battery. Did you find a fix for the GT 2.0 or did you have to replace the entire unit? Currently I only get static just like you described.
Thank you for any insight.
Jeff
ColoradoRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #12

Jeff, I did not. I did check the unit and it still had line out capabilities, so it would work with something else that had line in capability, like an aux amplifier. I just decided that wasn't worth the trouble. I plan to offer it on the sales board. I imagine an electronics tinkerer could fix it pretty easily. I ended up getting an IRV 34 that I found on Craigslist. Lucky find and good price ($150). Slid right in, connectors were correct, and works better than the original. Good luck. Jack
P.s. I still feel like a dum-dum for doing that backwards connection!!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #13

Jeff, If you have a TV, you might get sound out of that in the interim. Just hook to the line in. Sound won't be great. Just a thought. Jack