Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Genesis Technologies GT-3.0

I have a new 2012 Sabre 31 RETS-6, currently on my first 3 day trip to test all systems. My Sabre has a Genesis GT 3.0 AM/FM/WB/CD/DVD/MP3/MP4 Digital 5.1 Surround Sound system. This looks like the Concertone system that is mentioned on this forum. Is the Concertone systems now called Genesis?

There seems to be some functions of my Genesis GT 3.0 that do not work properly. When I plug in my IPod the left side speakers will not work, I am only getting sound out of one side of the speaker system. All the speakers work because I have them hooked to my television and it sounds great as it also sounds great on FM radio. Also, when I plug in a USB drive which has MP3 music files on it, it reads that a FLASH drive has been inserted but it will not play, no sound at all. I know the drive is good because it worked fine in the RV I traded in for the Sabre which had a Jensen system.

Anyone with a system like this? Since the RV is only a month old should I just take it back to the dealer for troubleshooting or replacement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Hi,

These are not malfunctions of the unit. The USB connection is ONLY for USB Drives of 8 GIG or less (The USB and SD Card Reader work exactly the same). Your hard drive will not play through this nor will your iPod (I am assuming you are trying to play your iPod through the USB as well). You will need to use one of the other audio inputs (either the front panel mini stereo connection or a rear RCA connection).

Please let me know if you have more questions.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
Hi,

These are not malfunctions of the unit. The USB connection is ONLY for USB Drives of 8 GIG or less (The USB and SD Card Reader work exactly the same). Your hard drive will not play through this nor will your iPod (I am assuming you are trying to play your iPod through the USB as well). You will need to use one of the other audio inputs (either the front panel mini stereo connection or a rear RCA connection).

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Bob, thanks for the reply. I was using a 16 GIG, I will try a smaller one.
I am playing my iPod through a mini connection on the front of the unit AV1 port. It will play fine but only through the Right speakers, no sound comes through the Left side speakers, therefore no stereo. Doesn't sound very good. Playing a music CD it plays through all speakers and sounds great. Think maybe the mini port on the GT-3.0 is defective? Please advise.

Is the Genesis the same unit as the Concertone? Same mfg., just different names?

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
ret2006, I would recommend trying a different mini stereo plug cable first, then look have the unit looked at if still no working.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #5

the ipod and phone are both 16 MB which is why the won't play but it will not charge them either. that does't make sense to me. shout I not be able to charge with the USB port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
ret2006, I would recommend trying a different mini stereo plug cable first, then look have the unit looked at if still no working.
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #6

If the product is not SEEN by the unit due to the size...then it won't charge either. Suggest a cigarette lighter plug USB adapter as an alternative.
Amazon.com: TopG Smart Mini Dual USB Car Charger 5V 3.1Amp 15.5W - 1.0&2.1A Universal Ports, Smart Power Supply iPods, iPhones, Cell Phones & Tablet, Android Devices, Portable Cigarette Lighter Plug, Mobile Travel Charging Station 12V Input - BLACK /

The port that looks like a mini USB is a factory tech slot...not a consumer port just in case you tried that.
8GB..It is a ridiculous limitation these days but the unit is several years dated...The good news is 8gb drives are dirt cheap and don't need re-charging. I feel your pain though!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
If the product is not SEEN by the unit due to the size...then it won't charge either. Suggest a cigarette lighter plug USB adapter as an alternative.
Amazon.com: TopG Smart Mini Dual USB Car Charger 5V 3.1Amp 15.5W - 1.0&2.1A Universal Ports, Smart Power Supply iPods, iPhones, Cell Phones & Tablet, Android Devices, Portable Cigarette Lighter Plug, Mobile Travel Charging Station 12V Input - BLACK /

The port that looks like a mini USB is a factory tech slot...not a consumer port just in case you tried that.
8GB..It is a ridiculous limitation these days but the unit is several years dated...The good news is 8gb drives are dirt cheap and don't need re-charging. I feel your pain though!
x2. If it's not seen it definitely won't charge. On the other hand though, even if it is seen, it may still not be able to charge. Older USB implementations, especially ones in things like radios, were designed for USB flash drives, not as a charging port. I would think most of those wouldn't be able to provide enough power to charge the device. I've got a 10 year old bookshelf CD player that's like that. It was built back when USB flash drives were first coming on the market and it's not capable of charging a device.

Heck, for that matter my DW's 2 year old minivan has USB port on the front of it's headunit. You can use it play music, but forget about trying to use it as charger. Her's does recognize a 32GB ipod touch, but doesn't charge it.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Kaadk...yep...but even more frustratingly...the USB on the 3.0 IS also a charger...you just better have an 8gb player or less! Makes ya wonder where version 3.1 is after 3 years!!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
TigerPride

My same unit has Bluetooth connect ur phone via bt and listen to ur tunes with awesome sound. U can bring ur phone outside and control everything from there if u have speakers outside turn phone vol down crank stereo vol up to max which is 39 the slowly turn up phone vol till it is comfortable for ur listening and enjoy make sure u turn stereo vol down before u swap functions it can get very loud especially at mid night when u swap from blue tooth to the tv lol��
cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Makes ya wonder where version 3.1 is after 3 years!!
yaaa.... a bit dumbfounded why no Blu-ray capability in a system in a 2015 5er when the TV is hi-def.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kaadk...yep...but even more frustratingly...the USB on the 3.0 IS also a charger...you just better have an 8gb player or less! Makes ya wonder where version 3.1 is after 3 years!!
Ah, well, my GT-2.0's USB is not. I had assumed the same of the 3.0. That would be more frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
yaaa.... a bit dumbfounded why no Blu-ray capability in a system in a 2015 5er when the TV is hi-def.
To be fair, the head unit market in general hasn't really caught up to Blu-Ray. The only one I've found is this one from AudioVox: AVDBR1

And it's not even a full head unit, just an add on player with HDMI out.

Most of the market now has recognized that discs are on their way out and are instead jumping right into being able to accept digital inputs.

For instance, looking at Pioneer's NEX line, 3 out of 4 of their models take HDMI inputs.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

I have a Sabre 2013 34TBOK-6 trailer. We cannot seem to get sound when playing a DVD in the living room (Speaker A). The music plays well but the sound is terrible. Can barely hear the characters and the sub woofer does not seem to be working. Speakers B&C work really well.. Anybody have a solution to this problem. Please and thank you. I do believe our warranty is now expired.
slbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #13

slbevans... if you haven't done so already...try using the AUDIO button on the remote control to set up your DVD sound options BEFORE you insert a disk. That may provide an easy solution. If that doesn't work...
The next step is going into the setup menu to set up both AUDIO and Speakers. The setup button is also on your remote control on the lower left side. There are about 5 sections which you use the direction keys on the remote to navigate to...the 3rd top choice looks like 2 musical notes and sets up your audio choices by navigating to it and then scrolling down. The 5th top choice gives you your speaker choices including subwoofer on and off. See pages 27 and 29 of your manual for the menu choices.
If you don't have the manual...send me a PM with your email and I'll send a pdf of it to you.
Good luck!
Hopefull
Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #14

Thanks for your suggestions. We have tried everything. We think there is something wrong with the unit. We have spent hours and hours going over it and there is just something wrong.
slbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #15

OK...there have been numerous reports of mis-wiring also...so it may be something relatively simple to correct rather than a defect.
Short of taking the unit out for service...you might want to just check the back of the radio wiring for disconnected or shaky connections. Since 2 of the 3 rooms sound OK...a temporary fix might simply be to swap the A wiring with the B or C wiring and see if that give you better sound. If the problem sound also moves to the speakers NOW in the A position...then you know you have a radio problem to be fixed rather than a speaker or wiring problem. While you're doing that...note that positions 1through4 in the C section of your speaker connections are SUPPOSED to be for the subwoofer. If there is nothing there...that is your sub problem! If something is there...and removal of the wire turns a set of regular speakers off...that is also your sub problem!
Good luck!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #16

I have a problem with my Gen-3, where it comes on, at different times, when we're not in the camper. One time it was on when we were loading up to go camping. I turned off and when we stopped on our way to add stuff to the refer, it was on again. Turned it off and when we got to the camp ground, it was on again. It doesn't happen all the time and has never come on while we are in the camper. We try to remember to turn the volume down when we park it at home. My neighbor has come over to tell that the radio is on.
edwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #17

You might wanna take the power lead on that and mount it to a toggle switch to insure that it can't turn itself on when you're not there or when you don't want it on.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwrench View Post
I have a problem with my Gen-3, where it comes on, at different times, when we're not in the camper. One time it was on when we were loading up to go camping. I turned off and when we stopped on our way to add stuff to the refer, it was on again. Turned it off and when we got to the camp ground, it was on again. It doesn't happen all the time and has never come on while we are in the camper. We try to remember to turn the volume down when we park it at home. My neighbor has come over to tell that the radio is on.
Try checking the power button for debris/food/sticky stuff etc....you may get lucky. Check the remote control buttons also...just to be sure. Otherwise, any local electronics shop should be able to fix your problem if you're out of warranty. Personally however, I would dump the Genessis/Concertone in favor of ANYTHING else...even nothing.

I apologize if I sound harsh, but I feel pretty strongly about these brands being garbage. I have been repairing electronics for over 3 decades, and they are one of the most problematic brands I can recall.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #19

Thank you for the reply. It seems like there is some other electronic signal turning it on, but it never turns off. I have to go in the camper to do that. I guess the most positive way to keep it off, would be with a separate switch.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
edwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Make sure you turn OFF the "alarm" function.
The "wake with radio" is most likely turning your system on.

Manual attached -
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT-3.0-5-4.pdf (1.89 MB, 93 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote