Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

GFCI plugs

I bought a small 10 in fan to use at night in bedroom, I unpacked it and plugged it into kitchen GFCI plug to test it, I turned it on to hi, then medium, then low all worked well, then I turned it to hi and it quit, thinking I’d turned it a notch to much to off but realized the plug was dead, I soon realized the GFCI plug in bathroom and outside are all dead, I checked the breaker and it appeared to be on but flipped off and back on, all plugs are still dead,
I couldn’t delete this whole message but the plug in the restroom has a reset button I couldn’t see because of a night light , I knew the other 2 plugs didn’t have a reset so I thought a fuse controlled each of them, the reset button restored all plugs . Lesson learned !
Qicvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Team

There may be another GFI outlet that's tripped.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qicvick View Post
I bought a small 10 in fan to use at night in bedroom, I unpacked it and plugged it into kitchen GFCI plug to test it, I turned it on to hi, then medium, then low all worked well, then I turned it to hi and it quit, thinking I’d turned it a notch to much to off but realized the plug was dead, I soon realized the GFCI plug in bathroom and outside are all dead, I checked the breaker and it appeared to be on but flipped off and back on, all plugs are still dead,
I couldn’t delete this whole message but the plug in the restroom has a reset button I couldn’t see because of a night light , I knew the other 2 plugs didn’t have a reset so I thought a fuse controlled each of them, the reset button restored all plugs . Lesson learned !
I'm glad you've solved your own problem. Here's another lesson to be learned. GFCI outlets and their circuitry are 120v AC circuits. They are associated with breakers. Fuses are for 12v DC circuits. GFCI circuits are not affected by fuses.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There may be another GFI outlet that's tripped.
Dan, the OP edited his post with his solution.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Dan, the OP edited his post with his solution.
Must have been after I posted.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm glad you've solved your own problem. Here's another lesson to be learned. GFCI outlets and their circuitry are 120v AC circuits. They are associated with breakers. Fuses are for 12v DC circuits. GFCI circuits are not affected by fuses.
No, I didnt realize that! My fuse box listed a 15 amp fuse for kitchen and 1 for bath and I assumed it was plugs, it must the the lights though after reading your reply, thank you!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Must have been after I posted.
Thank you for reply! All three plugs went down but only the bathroom plug has a reset button, I didn’t even see it because of a night light plugged in. I had already decide the coffee would be made in living room this morning!!! Lol
Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Take a look at the 12V side of life in the library. ( green bar).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
No, I didnt realize that! My fuse box listed a 15 amp fuse for kitchen and 1 for bath and I assumed it was plugs, it must the the lights though after reading your reply, thank you!
Your 'fuse box' isn't really a fuse box for the items that run off 120v.
They are breakers that trip when there is an issue. Houses and r/vs don't use fuses for 120v anymore (used to years ago) but folks still call the power distribution box a 'fuse box'.

Anyway the breakers that control the 120v items (including the GFCIs) are lever type breakers that you must flip the lever to reset. I suspect what you seen labeled as kitchen and bath are in fact 120v breakers.

Your power distribution box also has 12v fuses and they must be replaced if they are burned out.

120v breaker...

12v fuses...

One more thing... the reset button you pushed on the GFCI will only reset if the outlet has power coming to it. Most have a little green indicator light on the plug indicating power (some don't) so if the little LED is green and lit up, it will reset.

If it won't reset, you'll likely need to find the breaker labeled GFCI in the power distribution box and reset it before you'll be able to reset the GFCI button at the plug itself.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Your 'fuse box' isn't really a fuse box for the items that run off 120v.
They are breakers that trip when there is an issue. Houses and r/vs don't use fuses for 120v anymore (used to years ago) but folks still call the power distribution box a 'fuse box'.

Anyway the breakers that control the 120v items (including the GFCIs) are lever type breakers that you must flip the lever to reset. I suspect what you seen labeled as kitchen and bath are in fact 120v breakers.

Your power distribution box also has 12v fuses and they must be replaced if they are burned out.

120v breaker...

12v fuses...

One more thing... the reset button you pushed on the GFCI will only reset if the outlet has power coming to it. Most have a little green indicator light on the plug indicating power (some don't) so if the little LED is green and lit up, it will reset.

If it won't reset, you'll likely need to find the breaker labeled GFCI in the power distribution box and reset it before you'll be able to reset the GFCI button at the plug itself.

I copied this and put it in my notes!
Old 08-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #11

FYI, I've come onto a couple of fans that will pop the GFI whenever they are turned off. I assume the rotating fan is working as a generator, putting unexpected electricity into the circuit. I have continued to use them with no other problems. Once you know the problem, it is an easy fix to reset the GFI.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #12

Had a friend of mine go through this same thing last weekend. When he told me the issue, I told him to look for the GFCI plug and reset it. Problem solved. Got a glass of Scotch out of that [emoji1634]
Quote:
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #13
Site Team

This can be a problem with fans that have digital speed controls and digital motors.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
FYI, I've come onto a couple of fans that will pop the GFI whenever they are turned off. I assume the rotating fan is working as a generator, putting unexpected electricity into the circuit. I have continued to use them with no other problems. Once you know the problem, it is an easy fix to reset the GFI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This can be a problem with fans that have digital speed controls and digital motors.
X2
I've seen fans kick the GFCI when turning off the fan.
I never could say if it was an overly sensitive GFCI or a condition of the fan control. Didn't do it every time so none the less, we just reset the GFCI and all was well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #15

If your GFCI keeps tripping for things that shouldn't trip it, replace it. Some are too sensitive, and others just seem to weaken with age. Quality might have something to do with it also. I've replaced several in my RVs and my house. No more unnecessary tripping and resetting.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote