Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 02:24 AM   #1

Greeblies in ice maker

First time using the ice maker in our 2015 Sunseeker we bought a couple years ago used and I don’t know what to do. At first the cubes came out red then pink which I assume is normal from the RV antifreeze. (We had it de-winterized by the dealer.) That’s cleared up but now tray after tray come out with specks and globs of black stuff on them. I assume (again) it’s from gross build up in the lines but I don’t know if that’s normal and will go away or if there’s anything I need to/can do to clean it out or sterilize it. Thanks in advance for any help!
arielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
Global Nomad

My ice maker has it's own filter which needs to be changed every 6-9 months. You might check there first.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

I can't help with the ice maker part, other than it does sound like it needs a good cleaning, from the point where the water line is connected to the source, all the way to the ice maker. But I really want to steal your word "Greeblies". I have never seen that word, but I love it. Good luck with the cleaning.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Señor Member

Are the specks and globs "in" the ice or "on" them? The ice maker tray may need a good cleansing.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I can't help with the ice maker part, other than it does sound like it needs a good cleaning, from the point where the water line is connected to the source, all the way to the ice maker. But I really want to steal your word "Greeblies". I have never seen that word, but I love it. Good luck with the cleaning.
its a term" Greeblies" used for layering smaller bits on to larger objects. Was used for effects in Star Wars.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Half-@55ed job

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielle View Post
First time using the ice maker in our 2015 Sunseeker we bought a couple years ago used and I don’t know what to do. At first the cubes came out red then pink which I assume is normal from the RV antifreeze. (We had it de-winterized by the dealer.) That’s cleared up but now tray after tray come out with specks and globs of black stuff on them. I assume (again) it’s from gross build up in the lines but I don’t know if that’s normal and will go away or if there’s anything I need to/can do to clean it out or sterilize it. Thanks in advance for any help!
Whoever winterized/de-winterized for you did a bad job, in two ways.

1) They should have switched the water heater valves to Bypass before winterizing and left them that way until after de-winterizing. The black specks are formed in the hot water heater, from decomposition of the sacrificial anode. They should have been flushed out the water heater. Because they weren't they entered the hot and cold water system. (If you take off the aerators on the faucets, you will likely see the same black, sandy crud. You can rinse it off the aerators.)

2) During de-winterizing, they should have flushed the line to the icemaker to flush out the antifreeze instead of leaving it for you to do.

Given the current situation, you have two options:
1) Keep making ice until the crud goes away.
2) Turn off water. Disconnect line to icemaker. Turn on water and run it until clear. Turn off water, reconnect line, turn on water. (or see below)

There's also a place on most icemakers where you can insert a jumper wire and let water run until clear which is easier. See Whirlpool 'Modular' Compact Crescent-Mold Icemaker | The Appliance Clinic . You will want to put in a pan to collect water and then jumper terminals L and V.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote