Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Gripe about the roof antenna cable

Not long after buying the 5er, a low tree branch took out the TV antenna coax on the roof, ripping it from the antenna back to the access port. Took it to the local RV repair place, and $300 and a week later it was replaced.

Two months after that, another tree branch took it out, again. This time I just trimmed the coax back, shoved it into under the access cap, and Dicor'ed it over. We never watch local TV when traveling, anyway.

Soooo...two years later, and I've bought a wifi booster system, and I'm going to mount the antenna on the batwings, and will run the USB through the access port to the entertainment system, and while I'm at it, I'll replace that ripped out coax. All I need to do is tie the new cables to the old and gently pull it through, right?

Wrong. My wife started pulling and hears a clunk clunk. Pull the TV off, and a cable access port behind it, and we find the coax to the TV comes from a three way splitter. The other two wires lead down into the entertainment center. I pulled the panel concealing the subwoofer, and see the two cables running off into the basement, with zip strips holding it in place...this is the opposite side of the RV from where the cable enters the roof.

I went into the basement, started pulling panels.

Shortening the story, I never did find out where that roof cable goes. I ended up putting a new end on the torn cable and fed a new end to the antenna, and tucking the new hardware under the access port plate and re-Dicor'ed it all. Eternabond taped the coax down to the antenna.

Fallback plan is I'll use the suction cup method on the exterior of the slideout to mount the USB antenna when we need it, and run the cable through the slide seals. Not as neat, but then again, with my luck with tree branches, I'd probably lose both the coax and USB eventually.

And now I see why I was charged $300 to replace the cable the first time.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, cable, roo, roof