Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #1

Heat Pump

New to heat pumps and I have a couple of questions. We have a roof mounted ac/heat pump. When running the heat it is very loud. Is this normal? Also, when the heat cycles off there is a continuous hum for several minutes then a weird sound that sounds kind of like a sudden release of air and then the blower comes back on. Is this normal? Thanks for any help.
pcryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #2

If there is ice on the unit, and there may be in very cold weather, it will 'cycle' into a defrost mode........basically it turns on the a/c function temporarily, thus releasing hot air and melting the ice. It's how heat pumps work, generally.

Don't know about the loud. You can certainly hear mine at home........the only one I know anything about.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #3

In heat pump mode it should be as loud as the A/C on high fan.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #4

On our 2011 Sunseeker's Dometic air conditioner/heat pump, there's no ice sensor. When the outside temperature goes below 42 F, the thermostat periodically runs the defrost cycle. When the outside temperature drops below 30 F, it turns the heat pump off and starts the propane furnace.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump