Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Heat strip sunseeker 3100

Anybody know how the heatbstrip works on the thermostat? Is it the electric back up on the heat pump or??
SunseekerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

heat strips on a heat pump often called emergency heat are electric coils just like a plug-in heater. If the ambient temps are very low the heat strips can be utilized to rase that temp.the delta T on a heat pump is usually no greater then 20* so if the ambient air is at 40 you would only be getting 60* out of the heat pump so the emergency heat would kick in and heat things up
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have heat strips on my A/Cs, which are not heat pumps. They're a just a small heating element to take the chill off. It does take them a while to warm things up, not nearly as quick as the furnaces.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerDave View Post
Anybody know how the heatbstrip works on the thermostat? Is it the electric back up on the heat pump or??
Typically, if you have heat strip selection on your thermostat there would be no heat pump selection. As said, the heat strip is an electrical heating element in the A/C. It does take some time to start the heating process (not very efficient). The furnace does not augment the heat strip. I don't use the heat strip at all; it just takes to long to notice the chill being overcome.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

I have heat strip AND heat pump...at least on my thermostat... heat pump seems to work well, dont get much out of heat strip... just thought it would work as back up, below 35 or 40 degrees where the heat pump would cut out but I dont seem to get much of anything from it. Maybe it's not even installed?
SunseekerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #6

The small heating element that is being referred to in the AC unit are not heat strips and are mot thermostatically controlled . The small element is not ment to heat up the unit. Just knock off the chill a bit.
If the thermostat has heat strip listed, there is probably a heating element kit you my be able to purchase.. my 15k dometic HP/AC does not have that option.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker