Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

Heater failure

I should have suspected a pending failure as on the previous Friday as I woke up cold. After doing a reset of the controller, the heater started without issue. I went home for the weekend.
I was able to bring my wife down to the 5'r which is set up where I work during the weekdays. Our first night there, the heater did not work and we woke up very cold. After calling a reputable RV repair place, the recommendation was to remove the heater and bring it to their shop to avoid a very expensive road call (2 hr round trip).
Previous to the call, I performed every reset process I could find on this blog site and while it the reset had worked the previous Friday, it would not recover on Monday.
I discovered that due to bracket configuration and location of the heater, I had to remove part of the back wall of the living room entertainment center in a lower cabinet area, and partially remove the water heater as it was mounted right up against the heater in the basement area. The brackets were poorly mounted in a way I could not slide the heater out the sidewall opening of the 5'r and had to wiggle and snake it way thru all the cabling and water lines. I ended up breaking the shower drain in the process and after 4 hours, I removed the Suburban heater unit from the RV.
Dropped unit off at Service location. The next day, they called letting me know they had found the problem. It appears the relay mounted on the circuit board in the heater had overheated and burnt two of the solder joints. They replaced the board and all was good. After talking with them about my specific setup, they told me that it would be best to remove the heater from the Dometic control system as that "system" used a data cable to tie the heater and the two AC units together in a chain. I bought a simple two wire Suburban heater control and during the installation of the repaired heater, I installed the new wiring and controller. Now the heater works very well and I don't have to worry about a failure where my AC units and the heater run at the same time.
The heater has been in continuous operation since the beginning of December and have had no trouble until now. I guess I am lucky being this was a gently used 5'r when I bought it.
Right now I am thinking I am having some issues with the Rear AC unit as it takes forever to cool it down when I get home from work and the inside temp is 85 degrees. When we bought the unit and started living in it back in October, the AC worked great and would cool the 5'r down quickly in 90+ degree temp days.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater