Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Heating issues No airflow

I purchased a 2014 Flagstaff 8528bhws 5er last Sept. Love the camper but having heating issues. Dealer had it for 3 months trying to figure it out. Wondering if anyone else maybe having issue similar to mine. Im getting no airflow out of air vents on floor. Dealer said they checked all duct work nothing blocking airflow and they even put in new furnace. Still no difference. Airflow will not even blow a downey sheet off the vent. Temp at vent is 120 degrees so the temp is good just now forced air. I have been in contact with manfacturer and suburban furnace, which Im not sure why Im having to do all this since its still under warranty. They are recommending to adding 4 more vents to unit. So Im just seeing if anyone has add any issue like this. Tried to get dealer to try the unit they had on the lot but they said it was to difficult to do that. Just want to compare the 2 and see if it was the same. This is my second camper and didnt have this issue or have heard of this before. Thanks for any help
dirtracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your furnace problem. I'm no HVAC guy but I don't see how adding more vents would improve anything. The furnace blower motor only pushes so much air so by adding more vents I would think the air flow out each vent would diminish.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Denver, CO

I have been a ventilation engineer and adding vents will not help and there HAS to be a blockage, or the fan is bad (not sure how that would be given that the furnace has been replaced.

They need to look up the airflow curves, disconnect all the ducts and figure whats up.

It is also possible that one duct is disconnected and all the airflow is going to the underbelly instead of into the occupied space. That is what happened to mine. All if the duct runs need to be inspected and make sure they are all connected and and no main line is blocked.

No fast solutions.

And the dealer or FR should be doing this not you.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Denver, CO

3 months? You got to be kidding me.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

I agree with the OP that your dealer should be doing the leg work and not you. Here's my thought for the day. I automobile EVAP\Emission systems, the tech simply attaches a 'smoke' machine to the hoses to find any suspect leaks. Why can't a smoke machine be retrofitted in some manner to fill and blow smoke throughout the duct work to insure there are no detached fittings or gaps in the duct work? Seems too simple to make sense, right?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

This is a long shot since the dealer has looked at it. Similar problem to mine. There was a cutout in the floor and a metal can below that where the duct hoses connected. The can was poorly attached and had dropped down a couple of inches. Most of the air was blowing under the trailer and not into the ducts. I am sure it had been that way since manufacture. Previous owner thought is was heating the underside on purpose. If you take the front cover off the furnace you can tell if this is the problem.

I fixed it myself by pulling the can up into place and fastening securely.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

With the aluminum foil ductwork, one or more could be cut or torn also. I would ask(insist) the dealer drop the underbelly and inspect all the ductwork.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I agree with the OP that your dealer should be doing the leg work and not you. Here's my thought for the day. I automobile EVAP\Emission systems, the tech simply attaches a 'smoke' machine to the hoses to find any suspect leaks. Why can't a smoke machine be retrofitted in some manner to fill and blow smoke throughout the duct work to insure there are no detached fittings or gaps in the duct work? Seems too simple to make sense, right?

Actually that is a very good idea. A smoke candle may also work, but they are hard to control. You would set it off right at the air INLET of the furnace (usually a grill where the furnace is. and then try to see if the smoke is coming out anywhere not where it should be, like underneath the unit. As OC says, you should have the dealer pull all the underbelly sheathing and any panels where the furnace ductwork runs.

http://www.toolexperts.com/smoke-tes...flow-test.html
Old 03-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

I agree that 3 months is a long time for nothing to be found. If the fan is on, the air has to be going somewhere. The dealer either didn't do anything or is totally incompetent. Try searching on line for reviews of the dealer and see if others have had this kind of experience with him.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #10

I agree with your post. I really think this dealer is incompetent of doing it. Not sure they actually did what they said. Told me they took out 5 ft of ducting that was just lying extra. I am going to get my unit out of storage this weekend and try the smoke. Sounds like I may have to tear into this myself and figure it out. No other dealers here in Indianapolis to take it to. Colerain is the dealer I purchased it from and I said I would never go back there to buy anything and I ended up going back to buy this 5er. Live and learn. Thanks so far for all suggestions and replies.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

Well after spending 3 hrs at the manufacture Monday. They met with a technician from suburban and said that I need to add at least 1 if not 2 more vents to my unit. After telling them that I had taken the cover off the front of furnace and got good air flow they feel that it is being restricted with only 4 ducts hook to the plenum. I'm going to give this a try myself before any holes are put anywhere to see if it helps. I can't believe that no one else has ever had this issue if that is the problem. My camper is a flagstaff 8528bhws
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracing View Post
Well after spending 3 hrs at the manufacture Monday. They met with a technician from suburban and said that I need to add at least 1 if not 2 more vents to my unit. After telling them that I had taken the cover off the front of furnace and got good air flow they feel that it is being restricted with only 4 ducts hook to the plenum. I'm going to give this a try myself before any holes are put anywhere to see if it helps. I can't believe that no one else has ever had this issue if that is the problem. My camper is a flagstaff 8528bhws
The tech may be correct, but it kinda defies logic. No air flow so you add more outlets? I might go along with increasing INLET air, as a squirrel cage fan will "Unload" (not pump air) if the inlets are blocked or semi blocked.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #13

They have to figure out if the blower is putting the right cfm out. they need to drill a hole in the supply plenum and one in the return then put to 1/4" tubes attached to the sloop water tube and take a reading compare the reading to the blower curve chart and see the exact cfm the unit is producing. If the static pressure is to high you add a duct to reduce it which increases the air flow. just a piss pour design of the ducting system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #14

After talking with Flagstaff warranty dept (Mark) and suburban tech they suggested to add a vent to my unit. I recently spent the weekend camping and it got down in the 30s and I'm happy to say my camper stayed 70 degrees without a problem. I would have never thought adding a vent would have helped. Want to thank both for spending so much time with me on this matter. I am Very Satisfied with the out come. Thank you again. Happy Camper. 😊

Tags
heating