Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #1

HELP. Traveling x country refer won’t work.

Please help.

Currently traveling across the county with a 2016 Primetime Avenger 28 DBS. The refrigerator lights on gas but will not stay cold. While I am traveling the refrigerator is defrosting. Is there anything I can possibly do to fix this at the next campground?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Team

The fridge in our 2016 PrimeTime TracerAir TT, stopped working this year. Cost us $4k to have it replaced. We were also on the road for 6 months at the time.
Have you looked at the outside fridge compartment? Have you looked at the fridge manual's troubleshooting section?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
clr

I spider web or some thing may be blocking the orifice of the burner. Also the thermostat may not be in the stream of the fire, or the thermostat may be defective. I would try to clean up the entire area first, any thing in the way would block operation.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #4

It works great on AC (electric) just not on gas. I believe the gas orifice is clear as I can see the flame.

Just stopped at a truck stop and looked at the manual. All it says for not cooling on gas is to turn the refer off…. Wonderful….

I looked at the back of the refer, from outside of camper, nothing looks abnormal.

I will call dometic. In the mean time, any other advice is greatly appreciated
Old 07-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #5

I once had an issue with my Dometic fridge working on propane. Come to find out from Dometic that the flame was being blown out as I travel down the road. They sent me a deflector kit to add to the unit. Maybe you have a similar issue?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #6

Each time I stop for fuel I check the flame and it’s still lit.

I just got to a campground for the night. Both propane bottles are full. I immediately plugged into AC and switched the refer to electric but it was already up to 50F in the fridge portion. Fortunately the food in the freezer is still frozen.

I do have the freezer jammed packed so I assume that is helping me.

I am going to try to call Donetic now but being it’s Saturday and 3:30 where they are I doubt they will answer
Old 07-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #7

I had an issue traveling once it was the travel locker weren't holding the doors shut tight. They wouldn't come all the way open but just enough to let the cold out.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #8

I’m pretty sure the doors are closed right enough

I just took a bunch of the sheet metal off around the chimney. I ran a twisted strand of .041 safety wire up the chimney a little ways but only about a foot. Looking from the top down I could see a little light through to the bottom of the chimney so I think chimney is clear.

While the sheet metal was off I lit it on gas. It fired up first spark and the flame looks good and strong so at this point, in the 100F heat I gave up. Buttoned her all back up and hoping for the best.

Naturally, the Donetic phone line said no one was there and promptly disconnected the call….
Old 07-23-2022, 05:15 PM   #9

A dental mirror will allow you to look up the fire tube when placed under the burner. Make sure the flame is going up the tube and not on the outside of it. It should go straight up the middle. Also you should check roof vent for blockage. The only other thing is to check gas pressure at the fridge, it should be 11" of W.C.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #10

If you've followed all the other suggestions I think I would set a small circulating fan near the vent access and see if pushing a little additional air into it helps. I heard it helps. On the road not a great deal of choices in this heat. Use search function, lots of press on same subject over past few weeks. Good [emoji106] luck
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
Each time I stop for fuel I check the flame and it’s still lit.

I just got to a campground for the night. Both propane bottles are full. I immediately plugged into AC and switched the refer to electric but it was already up to 50F in the fridge portion. Fortunately the food in the freezer is still frozen.

I do have the freezer jammed packed so I assume that is helping me.

I am going to try to call Donetic now but being it’s Saturday and 3:30 where they are I doubt they will answer
Yea, my was blowing but would reignite. I discovered it by monitoring the temp of the fridge and would notice it rise when traveling but would get cool,again when stopped

Have you tried leaving it on gas when you stop to see if the fridge recovers? Good luck…

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #12

Happened to a friend of ours on a trip and he got a bucket and a bag of ice to keep the fridge cool til he could check on it.

Did you see the post where someone said that lowering the temp in the freezer portion fixed his problem? Don't know if it will apply to your fridge or not.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #13

I finally got fed up this season with my Dometic 120vac/LP fridge and replaced it with an apartment size 10.1 cf residential fridge as shown in the attached YT video. Also added a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter in order to run the fridge while traveling. So far, so good. Total cost ended up ~$600. Fridge was ~$300 from Home Depot, inverter was ~$220, while the rest was stuff needed for the installation. Took about 4-hours. I know you’re in travel mode right now, but it could be a more economical solution once you return to HQ. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/mv2bbTNBh6I
Old 07-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #14

Hey all!

Well, we made it it Colorado Springs and when I checked the fridge on each fuel stop today the fridge was miraculously working!!!

On the side of the chimney there is some sort of tube with 2 hoses connected to it that I was messing with. Actually I was jacking with that sucker pretty good���� I am assuming that’s the tube that the mercury/Freon/whatever, evaporates in when running on gas. Regardless, the fridge was below 35F at the truck stops!!

Also, I really like that idea of dumping the Dometic and going with a standard fridge. I’m definitely going to watch that video and possibly do the same.

I really appreciate all the quick replies and help. It really sucks to be on the road and have issues.

We’re praying the fridge stays working for the remainder of trip!!

Thanks again and safe travels to all!
Old 07-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #15

does your reefer have a sliding plastic thing (it is called a Thermister) on the fins inside the refer. It is usually on the right side and white in color.

That is how you adjust the temp in absorption type reefers. If it is there try sliding it down that should lower the temp in the reefer.

As for the gas not working, since the flame lights and seems to be OK, Im betting that flu is clogged with spider webbing. It is a PITA to fix tho, you have to pull the reefer forward into the camper to access the burner area completely from the rear.

Tags
travel