Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Help, Urgent, Furnace no heat

Desperate in PA. We are getting ready to go south for the winter in 5 days, just after Christmas. We had a problem with the furnace not working, so we took it to a shop where the circuit board was replaced. It was working fine and I had the heat set at 42 F. We went out this morning to start the finish packing and the furnace does not deliver heat. I turned the thermostat up to 90 and the fan will come on, but after about 30 sec it stops and no heat is delivered. Sounds to me like the burner is not igniting.

I am starting here to find a solution, guess I could try to get a circuit board from Amazon or someplace. I will be using my friend Google now to find some assistance.

BTW the Furnace is a Suburban SF 30 FQ.

Any ideas??

PS I tried to call the service place, but they are closed on Sat and I actually doubt they will reopen until after the new year. Left a message.
lmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacy View Post
Desperate in PA. We are getting ready to go south for the winter in 5 days, just after Christmas. We had a problem with the furnace not working, so we took it to a shop where the circuit board was replaced. It was working fine and I had the heat set at 42 F. We went out this morning to start the finish packing and the furnace does not deliver heat. I turned the thermostat up to 90 and the fan will come on, but after about 30 sec it stops and no heat is delivered. Sounds to me like the burner is not igniting.

I am starting here to find a solution, guess I could try to get a circuit board from Amazon or someplace. I will be using my friend Google now to find some assistance.

Any ideas??

PS I tried to call the service place, but they are closed on Sat and I actually doubt they will reopen until after the new year. Left a message.
New info. I have shutdown all power to the furnace to try to reset the circuit as others have suggested, No joy. Still no heat. Apparently no ignition.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Are you out of propane?
Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Probably a silly question, but do you have propane?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Are you out of propane?
That was my first thought as it has been sitting for a couple weeks with the furnace running to prevent freezing. Nope, 2/3 tank and the stove works fine.

THanks
Old 12-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

Since you've had it sitting with heat on for multiple days, I doubt this will help, but just in case... Are you on shore power or battery? I've had a similar problem with low battery, presumably because the fan wasn't strong enough to trigger the sail switch.

Also, an electric heater are a good fall back if you're camping with shore power.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

Quick answers. Shore power - at home. Tried battery, no joy. Electric is gonna be the way we start, may need to get a "something" or hit a Camping World along the way.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

This site is designed for home furnaces, but they are similar so it might be of some help:
https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairH...rts-then-stops
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

HVAC Folks??

Any thoughts on maybe calling a HVAC person to assist??
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #10

Is this the right board?
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-SB52.../dp/B00NBPYF7U

Or is this the right Dinosaur board replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...J6NFCCVX7PWW0T
Old 12-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #11

When the burner attempts to light, fails and then shuts down, you have to turn the furnace off and then on to recycle. When you start it if you listen on the outside by the vent you should be able to hear the burner...if you hear it ignite and then goes stop the board is probably the only possible culprit. Hard to work on them since access is limited unless you unscrew the whole thing from the outside and slide it out.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

One more bit of info. The fan comes on then stops, I hear no indication that the ignitor is firing at all.

And its a Class C so not issues with bottle switchs
Old 12-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

https://www.rvtravel.com/troubleshoo...nace-problems/
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Is this the right board?
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-SB52.../dp/B00NBPYF7U

Or is this the right Dinosaur board replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...J6NFCCVX7PWW0T
Unlikely it's a board since you replaced it...and it was working. Curious as to vintage of camper as to age of components. Cold temps breed propane supply issues. Can you run all 3 burners on your stove simultaneously? Running on 1 30lb tank is a small surface area to vaporize in low temps and maintain required 11 in WC needed for operation of WH furnace and refrigerators. Not quite as significant with stove, that's why 3 burners lit. Regulator?
Check out Warm Guard 20 on amazon. Good luck, my 2 cents worth, happy holidays!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I had this issue on my 5'ver...

Turned out to be a wire had come loose (ie.- unplugged) from the circuit board...

A mobile RV tech was doing warranty repairs and when I mentioned this problem he fixed this issue along with the other stuff.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Unlikely it's a board since you replaced it...and it was working. Curious as to vintage of camper as to age of components. Cold temps breed propane supply issues. Can you run all 3 burners on your stove simultaneously? Running on 1 30lb tank is a small surface area to vaporize in low temps and maintain required 11 in WC needed for operation of WH furnace and refrigerators. Not quite as significant with stove, that's why 3 burners lit. Regulator?
Check out Warm Guard 20 on amazon. Good luck, my 2 cents worth, happy holidays!
If you rebooted furnace, you can hear it click and it wants to ignite momentarily ,yes could be board. Could be igniter too. Its ground to chassis quite important.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #17

replacing the board is not really a diy project. furnace has to come compleatly out and put onto a bench. and disasembled. You need to plug up the gas line. Remove the 12 volt wiring. Went thru this very thing last summer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #18

If the burner is not attempting to light, it might be the Sail Switch on the blower. This switch is a little flapper in the air stream the tells the furnace that the blower is running. This switch also give a permissive to light the burner. If this switch does not close, the burner will not light and the furnace will shutdown after a ~30 sec purge.

If the furnace has not run recently, it may take several tries to loosen up the sail switch to allow it to run.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:

Any ideas??

Having repaired thousands of residential heaters, stoves, fireplaces etc. I had many cases where someone just changed parts till it would work, never finding the cause. I suggest you rely on your electric heat until you find a reliable repair person.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Quick answers. Shore power - at home. Tried battery, no joy. Electric is gonna be the way we start, may need to get a "something" or hit a Camping World along the way.
What do you mean "tried battery,no joy".

Almost everything will run 12v from the converter with just 'shore power'.... but you should have a good charged battery to run the furnace fan and igniter system for the furnace to run.

Went camping one winter and could not get the furnace to run correctly. All 12v systems 'seemed' to run fine on the camper. Tested the battery and it had a couple of bad cells. Dropped a new charged battery in it and the furnace ran fine. The 'fan' on the furnace was not running steady enough and would not allow the burner to fire.

If you are going 'south', you do not need to run your furnace, get a oscillating space heater and use that on 110 to keep the chill down. We almost never use the furnace, only space heater. Why burn my propane when I am paying for the electric from the box....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace