Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

Help with hot water heater

I recently purchased a 2017 Grey Wolf 29BH that was already set-up on a leased camp site. This weekend the campground turned on the water to the sites and I flushed the system and turned on the hot water heater. It has a duel function water heater that can run off electric or gas.. I turned on the electric function but I am getting no hot water. When you turn on the hot water inside the camper at the sinks ,water flows but is cold. Outside at the water heater compartment you can feel the pressure relief valve and its warm to the touch but if you open the relief valve no water drips. When you open the relief valve you can hear what sound like air escaping. Several people at the campground said it must have a water shut-off to the water heater but if it does I can't find it and the owners manual does not reference a shout-off. What am I missing???

Sammy
sammyh07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #2

Hi. You should find the WH bypass valves inside the camper where the WH is located. I have a Grey Wolf 23MK, and the bypass valves are under the driver side front closet. Reachable (barely) through the under bed storage (or crawling into the outside pass-through storage which I didn't want to do). If you turned the electric side of the WH on with no water, you'll need to replace the heating element. Gas side should still work though. Electric side is turned on by toggle switch on the WH, gas is inside on instrument panel.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Team

This thread may help.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...st-103381.html
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #4

I agree with post #2. The inlet, outlet and bypass valves were still set for winterizing, and you probably did burn out the electric heating element.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #5

I can tell you all that they DO NOT burn up instantly I bought this unit hooked up extension cord to it set it on metal bench plugged it in and it was still working 1 hour later. I just wanted to see .I still have it to install if my element quits I will install it . I bought the cheapest one just incase I did burn it up.https://www.amazon.com/Eastman-60047...s%2C188&sr=8-9
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater