Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Help with Main TV mount in new Puma 28DBFQ

Greetings, I need some advice. I bought a new Puma 28DBFQ and it did not come with a TV. I have a 40" TV that will fit in the main TV cabinet. The
removable telescoping TV mounting bracket was installed already when I got it.

Problem: The TV backer will not safely hold up a normal light flat TV.

The TV backer is simply a piece of 1/2 plywood glued or screwed to the 1/4 " Luan. When I put the TV on the mount, it sags down over two inches and flexes the entire Luan Panel! I took out the radio, and stuck my hand behind the TV backer location. There are no studs or 2x2s. Simply a luan panel thickened up with a piece of plywood behind the backer location. I can't believe there are no studs or supports in there.

Am I missing something, crazy, or should I take this back to the dealer for a fix?

Any help is much appreciated.
SwampCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You could take it to the dealer and they will tell you the TV is too heavy for the designed area. Or you could install a new backing plate either attaching to the wall studs or going thru the wall and attaching to a second decorative backing plate on the opposite wall. My thoughts are based on your description and not pics of the actual area. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #3

my 2016 puma 29fqu has a solid backer behind the paneling , same mount you have .you could put a 5/16 sheet of finished plywood, stained to match , attach to paneling , via liquid nails , back ,top , and. sides. it will look great , tv will cover it up. find a few studs if you can , tap a small nail in where you think they are, use sheet rock screws here and there .dealer will have your trailer for 6 months its not worth taking it back.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
dealer will have your trailer for 6 months its not worth taking it back.
Thanks SeaDog and Thomas Ho. I think I will attempt a fix. I will post some pictures to get some input on the best/easiest way to fix this particular situation.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

i have a 25 # pull down tv mount i havent put in yet , what i said about plywood backer is what i am considering.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #6

I've mounted two in mine, both relatively small and guessing no more than 15 lbs. First I did in the bunk room on interior wall. Found studs with stud finder, attached 2x4's horizontally spanning wall studs and attached mount to that. Extra framing covered by TV. For the bed room on exterior wall, I used toggle bolts to attach the mount. Had to dig out some of the styrofoam insulation behind the paneling to get the toggles to open up. I was most nervous about that one and for the first few trips didn't leave TV attached while travelling. I do now though with no issues.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:07 PM   #7

Here is a shot of my entertainment unit Showing the Depth of the TV cabinet.

Here is a shot of the 1/4" Luan backer to the TV cabinet. No studs are behind, just an open cavity. The backer is stapled to the shelf below and trim pieces at the top and sides that are screwed into the cabinet walls and the ceiling.

I welcome your suggestions. Here is my current plan:
1. cut the backing luan right above the bottom shelf of the TV cabinet.
2. temporarily remove the outlet, cable box, and king wifi wire.
3. remove the backing luan from the tv cabinet.
4. install some 2" x 2' pine "studs" mounted to the ceiling and the bottom shelf with screws.
5. reconnect and reinstall the backing luan.
6. Add a piece of trim to the bottom shelf / backing luan to cover the cut I made.
7. install the TV mount plate with screws into the studs.

Does this sound reasonable? What other Ideas do y'all have?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Tags
mount, puma, tv mount