Here is a shot of my entertainment unit Showing the Depth of the TV cabinet.
Here is a shot of the 1/4" Luan backer to the TV cabinet. No studs are behind, just an open cavity. The backer is stapled to the shelf below and trim pieces at the top and sides that are screwed into the cabinet walls and the ceiling.
I welcome your suggestions. Here is my current plan:
1. cut the backing luan right above the bottom shelf of the TV cabinet.
2. temporarily remove the outlet, cable box, and king wifi wire.
3. remove the backing luan from the tv cabinet.
4. install some 2" x 2' pine "studs" mounted to the ceiling and the bottom shelf with screws.
5. reconnect and reinstall the backing luan.
6. Add a piece of trim to the bottom shelf / backing luan to cover the cut I made.
7. install the TV mount plate with screws into the studs.
Does this sound reasonable? What other Ideas do y'all have?
Thanks in advance for your ideas!