Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Help with Satellite Hookup

Our new 2014 Windjammer does not come with a satellite dome/dish or whatever they call the things on the roof. Our dealer told us we could it one installed for $1,400.00+. We're not wanting to spend that much to have the option to watch satellite programming in our RV. I called DirecTV, which is our home provider and was told that we couldn't use one of the receivers we currently have because of the type of Receivers (Whole Home Genie) we have in our house. He said I could buy a standard receiver for $69.95 and purchase a portable 18" dish and a tripod for approx. $150.00 to place at our campsite. All I pay monthly is $6.00 for the additional receiver. I was told that we would need to adjust/search for a signal whenever we set it up. Does anyone use this portable system? If so, what are the pros/cons? Is is something that we can install ourselves once we get the receiver and equipment in or do we need a professional technician? Once installed is it an easy set up at the campsite? Any info. would be so much appreciated! Thank you!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

There are people (on this forum) who use a Genie in their RV. Just search for Genie in a post less than a month ago. If you want HD with DirecTV, you pretty much have to use a standalone dish. Any sort of automatic system will only get you standard-def with DirecTV (unless you spend a bundle).

Yes, there are many people who have a dish on a tripod and aim it themselves. It's easy with Dish or Direct-SD. A bit harder with Direct-HD.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
There are people (on this forum) who use a Genie in their RV. Just search for Genie in a post less than a month ago. If you want HD with DirecTV, you pretty much have to use a standalone dish. Any sort of automatic system will only get you standard-def with DirecTV (unless you spend a bundle).

Yes, there are many people who have a dish on a tripod and aim it themselves. It's easy with Dish or Direct-SD. A bit harder with Direct-HD.
Thank you! I will check it out.
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

I have a directv h 25 from home and bought a slimline 3 portable dish from flea bay and it is easier to set up than my 5er.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

I had an in motion dish mounted on my last RV. A big pain in the neck. If you want tv you have to be very selective of campsites. This time around I bought a portable Carryout Anser for about $380 from Camping World. Set the elevation according to the chart in the instructions and it rotates the dish until it locks on the satellite. I use a Directv receiver from home. I'm comfortable with standard definition so I've never ventured farther down the technology rat hole, but I understand that Dish network may hold more potential for the Anser. My Directv account includes the Choice Xtra Classic package, HBO and Showtime. I get all of it with the Anser. Anyway, I'm a happy camper with it. All you need is a clear space to the SW and a 12v receptacle to temporarily power the anser until it locks on to the satellite.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite