Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #1

Hi! And how to wire Winegard Gateway in 192RBS

Greetings! First time travel trailer owner.

Documenting this for posterity, may the google grant anyone who is trying to install a Winegard Gateway Wifi Cell LTE extender in their Forest River Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS this wisdom:

The green/white wire is positive
The white wire is ground

The location where it mounts, if you line it up as the manual describes, will collide with the slide-out when you bring it back in. Move it forward ~2 inches.

The fuse for this is behind the main control panel, beneath two black covers in the cabinet above the sink. It's a 3 amp fuse wired off the Awning Lights.

borocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Campaholic

Welcome from Winnipeg Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:48 AM   #4

Welcome, and thanks for the posting. Documenting stuff like this is indeed important for others to find, and very helpful.

I too installed a Winegard Gateway in my 192RBS and, like you, discovered that where they drilled the hole to bring the power, ground, and three tiny coax antenna wires down from the ceiling was too close to the slide. Had I installed the Gateway there, it would have either damaged the slide or more likely ripped the Gateway right off the ceiling. Sloppy work. I too had to move the Gateway towards the front of the unit by about 2 inches.

However I had a second problem to contend with. They didn't connect the power and ground wires up for my unit. Those two wires were present, but they were just completely dead. More sloppy work, and much more impactful too. I thought about installing the Gateway inside the Air 360+ on the roof, which is one of the options, but I wanted the unit inside the RV in case I wanted easy access to swap out one SIM card for another.

Alas I couldn't see a way to fish a 12V power and ground pair easily through the ceiling, so I had to purchase a 110V AC to 12V DC converter, along with some lamp cord, cable cover, and double-sided sticky tape, then run power to the unit separately from one of my electrical outlets. A bit annoying, as I shouldn't have had to do that, but it was a one-and-done fix and now it works great.

I'm very happy with the Winegard GW-1000 Gateway 4G LTE WiFi Router, and the Winegard Air 360+ on the roof (not so much happy with Freedom Express for their installation quality control). Winegard has decades of experience in the hardware design of quality antennas. Some of the antennas on the Apollo 11 spacecraft were designed and built by Winegard. Having a quality roof-mounted omnidirectional VHF/UHF and FM antenna really pulls in weak cellular, WiFi, and TV/radio signals, and does it well. The software user interface in the Gateway could be a bit improved, and it's very slow to boot up and slow to swap input RF sources, but for sure I'd buy it again. Hopefully Winegard's recent (August 2020) acquisition of WiFiRanger will bring software talent to the company that will result in improved software in future products. The Winegard Gateway app is helpful; that's what I always use now to configure the Gateway each trip.

Ray
Old 10-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #5

Did you check the fuse was good? Mine was blown, but it might have been from my trying to wire it up with what seemed like the obvious wiring combination at first. The fuse was an inline style 3amp connector located in the wiring behind the control panel, I accessed it by removing screws from the black molded plastic panels and sliding one of them up. It would be nice if it was easier to get to that.

I also recently found the water pump after it leaked a bit of water, it's under the slide out drawer that opens to the outside, you can remove that drawer to access it. I'll have to figure out how to use that to winterize it soon.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

Good question. I couldn't see any fuses back there, but in fairness I didn't take the rear panels completely off, because I wasn't sure I could get the rear screws back in. I'd have to do that with my left hand, blind, standing on a step stool. I'm just not that coordinated. Kudos to you!
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	241521
However removing the two screws on the outside allowed me to bend the thin plastic panels far enough back to get a good view inside. What I saw was a wiring harness, with wire terminals going into standard connectors, and a small PCB.

Name:	wiring harness.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	241522
I could not see any fuses at all. However I did notice one of the wires was left dangling, and not plugged in to anything:

Name:	open wire.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	241523
Is this the disconnected power & ground wires for the Gateway? Could be. Is this just a left-over wire, assuming the wiring harness is a standard configuration shared by multiple units? (For example as you know the 192RBS has an extra set of LED lights for a second tank that doesn't exist.) That's possible too. There could be another explanation that I haven't even thought of yet.

It's certainly possible I overlooked something, but I couldn't find anything that was unambiguously related to the Gateway.

And by the way, the very first thing that I did when I attempted to install the Gateway was to use a multimeter to probe the two power-capable wires, to determine which was power and which was ground. Nothing. I'm confident that I didn't blow a fuse; those wires were dead from the get-go.

I'd love to charge those two wires; then I could remove the 12V DC power/ground wires that I ran to the unit from an AC outlet converter. I color matched the cable covers: tan for the wall and white for the short run across the ceiling. Most people probably wouldn't even notice they were there if I didn't tell them. But of course I know.

The pictures are with the slide not extended, to better highlight where I ran the wires. Once the slide goes out, it's even harder to see most of the wiring covers, because it's hidden behind the slide molding for most of the run. I plug the small AC to DC converter into the AC outlet by the little shelf beside the slide sofa.

Name:	Gateway 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	241524

Name:	Gateway 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	241526

Ray
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

I got a Word document (.doc) from Forest River describing the Gateway install, and it said that the gateway was powered off the awning light switch. In mine it was a 3 amp inline fuse, on the wire.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

It might be the plastic block that's near the blue arrow in your picture, a bit down and to the left of it.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by borocenti View Post
I got a Word document (.doc) from Forest River describing the Gateway install, and it said that the gateway was powered off the awning light switch. In mine it was a 3 amp inline fuse, on the wire.
Are you saying that to charge the Gateway, you have to turn the awning light switch on? If so, that would certainly explain why I had no power.

Ray
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #10

It's wired so that it gets power all the time, it's just wired off of the awning light switch constant power leg. You should be able to find that switch, locate the two wires off of it, and (hopefully) spot an inline fuse block.

I took the two screws out of the lower plastic molded cover and lifted it up and almost immediately saw this fuse block with a popped purple fuse in it, so I didn't have to dig around very much.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #11

Awesome reply. Next time I have my RV out (might not be until next spring though, TBD) I'll have to check this out.

Very helpful! Thanks yet again.

Ray
Old 03-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #12

After removing the rear panel the inline fuse is actually hidden in the drilled hole leading to the bottom of the cabinet.

As others have mentioned once you pull out the wiring hidden in the hole you will see a 5 amp inline for the awning lights and a 3 amp inline fuse for the winegard.

Hiding fuses is never a good idea.
Mregan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:05 AM   #13

Schematic

Hiding fuses would be a problem if they told you where! A schematic with a reference to a visible landmark like a light switch or window!

Asking for too much.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #14

Connecting the WInegard 360+ to a better router modem!

Well I found the info. The antenna cables are MCX male which plug into MCX female on the gateway. The yellow and green are the 4gLTE, the red is the wifi antenna.

Here is more info. Using the netgear at the bottom link you need a female MCX to male TS9 adapter - there is also a link. Now you have latest router/modem combo that can use multiple carriers.

The cellular is a 2x2 MIMO antenna

The page for the gateway. Manual attached.
https://winegard.com/products/cellul...ateway/gateway

They fuzzy up the diagram so you can't see the connectors clearly

This gu shows the antenna connectors a little more clearly in the gateway.
Completely Connected with Winegard's Air 360+ Gateway | RVRC

In this free video lesson Dave Solberg teaches you how to install the Winegard Gateway, which amplifies your RV’...

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/w...teway-018965/#

This guy actually tells what the connectors are!!!!

Cool this actually somewhat confirms my suspicion that there is nothing weird or proprietary about the Winegard 360+ antennas on Keystones. You are right there are MCX male connectors where the two LTE and WiFi antenna terminate in the camper but those are easy to change out or adapt to SMAs or TS-9s. The ones installed on Keystones sound the same as the one you bought aftermarket. Mine is stated to have the broad spectrum FM/VHF/UHF antenna, plus the two 4G antennas and the single WiFi antenna; also has the mount for the Winegard gateway. The FM and TV signal wires route to the TV/SAT panel already and the others terminate in the ceiling behind a cap, also zip tied to a 12v cable I can tap into (which added bonus, keystone published their color coded and numbered wiring specs so I will be able to tell exactly where that 12v wire runs.)

So digging deeper into the connectors on the NEtgear Night hawk - it uses TS9 male connectors and the antenna is a MCX male. TS9 is used by most of the modem/router manufacturers Here is the adapter!!!
MCX Female to TS9 Male RF Cable Assembly

MCX Female to TS9 Male Coax Cable, RG316/RG316D/RG174/LMR100

Here is the Netgear

6 Best 4G/LTE Mobile Router Models with WiFi (MiFi) and SIM Slot in 2021

https://www.tech21century.com/best-4..._4G_LTE_Router
Old 04-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #15

Has anyone tried 360+ to a nighthawk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Well I found the info. The antenna cables are MCX male which plug into MCX female on the gateway. The yellow and green are the 4gLTE, the red is the wifi antenna.

Here is more info. Using the netgear at the bottom link you need a female MCX to male TS9 adapter - there is also a link. Now you have latest router/modem combo that can use multiple carriers.

The cellular is a 2x2 MIMO antenna

The page for the gateway. Manual attached.
https://winegard.com/products/cellul...ateway/gateway

They fuzzy up the diagram so you can't see the connectors clearly

This gu shows the antenna connectors a little more clearly in the gateway.

In this free video lesson Dave Solberg teaches you how to install the Winegard Gateway, which amplifies your RV’...

https://www.rvrepairclub.com/video/w...teway-018965/#

This guy actually tells what the connectors are!!!!

Cool this actually somewhat confirms my suspicion that there is nothing weird or proprietary about the Winegard 360+ antennas on Keystones. You are right there are MCX male connectors where the two LTE and WiFi antenna terminate in the camper but those are easy to change out or adapt to SMAs or TS-9s. The ones installed on Keystones sound the same as the one you bought aftermarket. Mine is stated to have the broad spectrum FM/VHF/UHF antenna, plus the two 4G antennas and the single WiFi antenna; also has the mount for the Winegard gateway. The FM and TV signal wires route to the TV/SAT panel already and the others terminate in the ceiling behind a cap, also zip tied to a 12v cable I can tap into (which added bonus, keystone published their color coded and numbered wiring specs so I will be able to tell exactly where that 12v wire runs.)

So digging deeper into the connectors on the NEtgear Night hawk - it uses TS9 male connectors and the antenna is a MCX male. TS9 is used by most of the modem/router manufacturers Here is the adapter!!!

MCX Female to TS9 Male Coax Cable, RG316/RG316D/RG174/LMR100

Here is the Netgear

6 Best 4G/LTE Mobile Router Models with WiFi (MiFi) and SIM Slot in 2021

https://www.tech21century.com/best-4..._4G_LTE_Router
Has anyone tried to conenct a nighthawk to the Winegard 360+?
Old 05-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #16

Apex NANO 191RBS Winegard 4G LTE router installation

trying to figure out what wire I need to install the Windgard 4G LTE router in my Coachmen APEX NANO 191RBS camper. I am attaching pictures of the wiring from the ceiling on the camper. Do I cut the big wire coming down and wire the power cable into that? The second picture shows 2 power wires coming down and they are not very long. they also have crimped end on them That I would have to cut off. and there is a smell wire that comes off and looks like it goes to the light. Also the installation kit comes with a switch. there is no place to install the switch. without the switch the unit would be on 24/7 and could not be turned off.

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	253580

Name:	IMG_3938.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	253581

Thanks

Tom
tomdow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #17

The user and installation manual for the Gateway is here: https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...ts/2452438.pdf

You'll find that the two big wires are power and ground, and need to be connected to the power cable connector provided with the Gateway. The red wire connects into slot #2 (WiFi cable) and the yellow and green wires (4G LTE cables) into slots #4 and #5, respectively. See pages 6-7 in the PDF above for wiring instructions.

FYI as I type this in, I'm in my camper right now connecting to the internet over my Gateway router and Winegard Air 360+ antenna & modem.

Ray

Tags
winegard