Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

Holding Tank/LPG/& Battery Indicator Lights

Currently when I press the little buttons beside the Fresh/Gray/Black/LPG/ & Battery on the "Convenience Center Panel" no lights come on to tell me whether the holding tanks are full, part full, or empty. LPG light & battery light also does not light up when I press the little button. These lights used to work. Anyone have a similar problem. Our coach batteries were just replaced six months ago, so I don't think that is a problem. Is there a fuse connected to these lights?

Thanks,

CindyG
CindyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

Your coach batteries aren't disconnected, are they? What is your coach?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #3

We have a 2015 FR3 25DS motor home. We are currently camping and we are hooked up to shore power and still not indicator lights when I press the little buttons.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Sounds like a fuse went. They are 12 volt. On the other hand, the common ground could have come off. Have had that happen.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Yes there is a fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyG View Post
Currently when I press the little buttons beside the Fresh/Gray/Black/LPG/ & Battery on the "Convenience Center Panel" no lights come on to tell me whether the holding tanks are full, part full, or empty. LPG light & battery light also does not light up when I press the little button. These lights used to work. Anyone have a similar problem. Our coach batteries were just replaced six months ago, so I don't think that is a problem. Is there a fuse connected to these lights?

Thanks,

CindyG
Cindy, there is a fuse. These are automotive-style fuses, picture below.

The bad news is that there are probably several other things on that circuit, so it won't be explicitly labelled.

The good news is that there are indicators that tell you which fuse is blown. The fuse panel (distribution panel) contains most of the fuses. It will be behind a plastic door, usually colored dark brown or dark gray. There will be a red LED alongside each fuse. Each LED lights when the adjacent fuse has blown. (In this case you may have to have one person hold down the black, gray, or fresh button while another watches the LEDs.)

Pull out the fuse--you may need pliers. Replace it with an identical fuse. Be careful to push it straight in. It is easy to bend the little holders over.
Attached Images

"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
We have a 2015 FR3 25DS motor home. We are currently camping and we are hooked up to shore power and still not indicator lights when I press the little buttons.
I have a Georgetown 378 and I checked the fuses in the main fuse panel in my bedroom and did not pull one that went to the panel for those lights. Those lights are LED and attached to a circuit board. There are no fuses behind my convenience center panel. You might pull the convenience panel to check that the connector has not come off the circuit board. Maybe someone will chime in with an answer.
Additionally; those red led's to show a blown fuse may or may not illuminate with a blown fuse.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

I was working with the wiring on the slide switches and accidentally shorted something and fried the little circuit board. I found a replacement online for about $20 I think. Then did what I should have done first and found the burnt trace and fixed it . Now I have a spare. The black and gray tank sensors haven never been reliable but fresh and battery charge have worked okay. I built my own “no touch” sensor system for black and gray. So far much better than oem stuff.
2015 Flagstaff 21DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
Lorenc

Holding tank indicater lights

Can anyone explain which lights are for which tank? Why is there two for
“Battery”?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CE33837-0507-4BEE-AA7D-237FD3C77CCB.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	213531  
Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenc View Post
Can anyone explain which lights are for which tank? Why is there two for “Battery”?
You're not interpreting their clever labelling correctly.

When you press any of the tank buttons (Black, Gray, Fresh), you use the vertical scale on the left ("TANKS"). From the top down,

_=Full, empty me now
2/3=55% used, 33% remaining
1/3=33% used, 66% remaining
E=Empty

When you press the Battery button, you use the vertical scale on the right ("BATTERY"). From the top down,
C=Charging. This indicates that the battery is being charged by the "converter". Since the converter provides a voltage to the battery higher than its usual output, this doesn't really give an indication of the battery state. (If you turned off the generator (if you had one) and unplugged from power, you would not have this light and would get an indication of the battery state.)
G=Good (I guess.) The battery is pretty well charged.
F=Fair (I guess.) The battery is beginning to draw down. If you are camping with no power (dry camping), you should begin to think about charging the battery.
L=Low (I guess.) You should start charging now, before the battery gets so low that it is damaged.

The interpretations of C, G, F, and L are mine, but the four lights have the meanings stated above, regardless of what letters are used.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenc View Post
Can anyone explain which lights are for which tank? Why is there two for
“Battery”?
I dont think there are two for battery... just 1 I think. Well, one black button. The the 4 red lights give you an indication of fill level or charge status in case of battery button pushed.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You're not interpreting their clever labelling correctly.

When you press any of the tank buttons (Black, Gray, Fresh), you use the vertical scale on the left ("TANKS"). From the top down,

_=Full, empty me now
2/3=55% used, 33% remaining
1/3=33% used, 66% remaining
E=Empty

When you press the Battery button, you use the vertical scale on the right ("BATTERY"). From the top down,
C=Charging. This indicates that the battery is being charged by the "converter". Since the converter provides a voltage to the battery higher than its usual output, this doesn't really give an indication of the battery state. (If you turned off the generator (if you had one) and unplugged from power, you would not have this light and would get an indication of the battery state.)
G=Good (I guess.) The battery is pretty well charged.
F=Fair (I guess.) The battery is beginning to draw down. If you are camping with no power (dry camping), you should begin to think about charging the battery.
L=Low (I guess.) You should start charging now, before the battery gets so low that it is damaged.

The interpretations of C, G, F, and L are mine, but the four lights have the meanings stated above, regardless of what letters are used.
Larry... Just FYI, mine is a little different. Yes if hooked up to shore/Genny my battery check will indicate "C" top level, although battery is charging at this point and not actuall full. If I unplug shore and check again, it will often indicate "C" if my battery is fully charged. so My C, indicates either Charging or Charged (fully) depending on if I am hooked up to shore or not.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #12

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I appreciate your help. We will let y’all know what the fix is when we figure it out. CindyG
Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I appreciate your help. We will let y’all know what the fix is when we figure it out. CindyG
Just curious. Have you figured it out yet/found a fuse for the power etc.? I only know where power doesn't come from and if you have found where it does, would be nice to know.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #14

So it appears when we had our coach at Camping World to have the awning motor replaced, they must have pulled some fuses to troubleshoot the awning issue first. They also pulled the indicator light fuse and never put it back in place. So it was a fuse that was missing!! Oh, by the way when we went to pick up our coach for the awning motor repair they pointed out that when they were backing out the coach form the service bay they hit something and bent our ladder and scraped the bumper. So we have to return for that repair that they admitted was their fault.

Tags
battery, cat, light, tank