Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

How do i play audio on RV speakers when connected to Furrion HDMI?

Hello all!
We just joined the club and got a Wolf Pup 16BHS as our first real camper (we're coming from a very well used 1996 Rockwood Popup). There is a Furrion 7200 installed which works great with Bluetooth and FM radio on the RV speakers (we tested most all the functions). I want to plug a Google Chromecast into the Furrion HDMI port and plug a 24" monitor into the HDMI port above the bed and play the HDMI audio through the RV speakers. I can get the video to play just fine, however for the life of me I can't get the audio to play on the RV speakers...

I have the Furrion set to "HDMI" on the input menu and only hear a low hum. Mute is definitely turned off and the Chromecast stick has it's internal volume turned up. At first I thought the HDMI port might just be a pass through but then it wouldn't make any sense to have an "HDMI" mode on the input menu. The "HDMI" mode would only make sense for sound because I can change this mode and the video still plays on the screen but the sound on the speaker changes. Make sense?

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200314_162648228_HDR.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	225167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200314_162800945_HDR.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	225168  
Macchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Befuddled wanderer

I have never attempted what you are trying to do, so I can't claim to really know what I'm talking about, but I do have an idea of something for you to check anyway...

My theory is that the HDMI input on the radio takes the input of whatever device is plugged into it and feeds it to the TV. In this case it's your Chromecast. I believe, but don't know for sure, that the audio needs to return from the TV back to the radio. This would be done by making sure the HDMI cord from the radio is plugged into an HDMI (ARC) plug on the TV. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. It's possible that some settings in the TV would need to be changed to tell the TV to use the ARC channel if possible.

You mentioned that you used a 24" monitor rather than a TV. If that monitor doesn't have an HDMI (ARC) outlet, then you may be out of luck. Can you test your setup with an actual TV that has an HDMI (ARC) outlet? Most newer TV's have that. If your RV came with a TV I'm guessing it has one, but you may need to make sure the HDMI cord is plugged into the correct plug (mine wasn't )

All of that may be a bunch of hooey, however, as I have not attempted what you are trying, so I'm kinda' talking out my rear.

Hope this helps!

Bob

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think that is just an HDMI pass-through, like if you wanted to connect a blue ray player for the TV. Did you notice the Furrion TV sound output is connected to the 7200 using RCA jacks? Mine is anyway, and I think that's the only way to input sound to it. I have the Furrion 7200, it is only slightly less of a piece of crap compared to the 7100 that came with my trailer. It does not even play in stereo! It is Mono, despite having separate left and right outputs.

Plus, the blue tooth will not pair with something like Alexa. Phone only. Confirmed that with Furrion, thought it was something I was doing.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

The HDMI is just a pass through to the TV. The furrion unfortunately does not support arc or seperate the audio so I wonder why they put the hdmi port on the front other than easy hook up to the TV. If you want audio in the camper instead of the TV you have to hook up the RCA Jack's for audio from your TV back to the stereo.

I am not sure if you can set to HDMI and Aux simultaneously on the furrion so I have always plugged my hdmi cable into the TV and set the furrion to Aux to play audio from the TV.

I hope that helps!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think I use the AV setting to listen to TV/DVD/Firestick through the <<not stereo>>stereo. AUX lets me listen to music from my Echo Dot (Alexa) via a mini jack connection. I guess it depends how the RCA jacks from TV are connected to the rear of the 7200.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #6

I trust you guys but this is a truly strange design if the HDMI in a receiver is just a pass though. Also, I don't have any RCI inputs near the 2 TV mounts, only HDMI, cable (co-ax), and power.

1 question: does anyone know what the "HDMI" MODE does on the Furrion then???
Old 03-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

The only thing I like about this head unit is it is very low power, so when boondocking will not kill your battery(s) quickly. I was not able to figure out what HDMI mode does.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #8

Does anyone know how I would get the TV sound into these outdoor speakers? There are no input connections aside from HDMI. Call me crazy but I'm going to believe it's impossible to have a TV mount with 2 speakers on either side of eachother and they can't work with eachother...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200314_191104893_HDR.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	225186   Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch-1584227615573.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	225187  
Old 03-15-2020, 01:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macchina View Post
I trust you guys but this is a truly strange design if the HDMI in a receiver is just a pass though. Also, I don't have any RCI inputs near the 2 TV mounts, only HDMI, cable (co-ax), and power.

1 question: does anyone know what the "HDMI" MODE does on the Furrion then???
For the first question. https://www.etrailer.com/question-368810.html

My TV connects to rca jacks on the back of the furrion.

There is also an HDMI port on the back bit not sure if that is wjat passes through tonthe tv or not.

Not sure about the outside hdmi port as I dont have one of those. I would trave it amd see where it goes.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Yes RCA jack inputs if available
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #11

What Harkerr said, I think you need the RCA connections for external speakers. Should be able to direct the audio to whichever speakers at the unit. Not sure about the outside hdmi, haven't seen one, guessing an extension port for a HD tv instead of coax.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #12

Here's a device to extract the audio from HDMI. But I don't know how you would connect it to audio system. If the HDMI was passed through to the monitor, would sound input to the AUX audio input be played?

https://smile.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digi...dp/B00BIQER0E/
KD5OUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #13

I think the HDMI output on the side of the rig is designed to feed a TV on the mount shown. The outside speakers may be fed from the Furrion as external outside speakers. Check the speaker selector on the Furrion.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I think the HDMI output on the side of the rig is designed to feed a TV on the mount shown. The outside speakers may be fed from the Furrion as external outside speakers. Check the speaker selector on the Furrion.
Thanks for all the help guys!

The issue with the outside speakers is they also don't strip audio from the Furrion mounted HDMI. if I set the zone to the outdoors zone and play video on my Chromecast the sound won't play to either inside or outside speakers.

I did ask Furrion about how to play audio on the RV speakers from something input on the face of the Furrion. I'll update this post when I hear back.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #15

I used the HDMI arc port on the TV to connect to the HDMI arc port on the stereo, then the HDMI out from the stereo to the TV. My stereo has a second HDMI input that I can use for an additional source. I have the TV set to watch the non arc signal as the video source and the audio is automatically passed through the stereo and goes out to the speakers. Turning off the TV speakers nullifies the echo effect created by the delay in audio signal. The delay is not long enough to cause sync issues with the video.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #16

FURRION = junk! IMHO
RCA jacks were so 1970's

Supplied contract to the lowest bidder no doubt . their TV's are not much better.
I used the headphone jack on the TV to run through an external system. not the best but it beats the MONO system in my trailer which uses the fade button to control the outside 1 speaker and the inside 2 speakers.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I used the HDMI arc port on the TV to connect to the HDMI arc port on the stereo, then the HDMI out from the stereo to the TV. My stereo has a second HDMI input that I can use for an additional source. I have the TV set to watch the non arc signal as the video source and the audio is automatically passed through the stereo and goes out to the speakers. Turning off the TV speakers nullifies the echo effect created by the delay in audio signal. The delay is not long enough to cause sync issues with the video.
Which stereo are you using? Everything I read on his furrion did not list ARC as supported.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

The DV7200 he and I have is a crappy 100 dollar head unit. Reading the issues he is having makes me hate it even more.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #19

Got a reply back from Furrion:

Quote:
Good afternoon,

This was sent by engineering.

The customer needs to run a RCA RL audio cables from the Audio out connectors of the TV to the audio inputs on the stereo.

Just as I thought this stereo is a "pass through" It doesn't not use ARC technology therefore you have to use the RCA cables from TV Audio Output to Stereos Audio inputs.

Best Regards,
So according to Furrion to get sound on the speakers next to the TV mounts I need to run RCA cables from the outside of my camper through the door or window, over the stove, and across the aisle to the stereo that is mounted on my far wall to get the sound from the TV to the speakers that are mounted less than 24" away from the TV mount. Once I get there I'm going to be pretty confused because my Furrion 7200 does not have any RCA ports...

Furrion's help is about as good as their products.

Based on what I'm finding the many entertainment features on my Wolf Pup (HDMI ports throughout, inside and outside speakers, central control with a remote, etc.) will all be used exclusively for: FM RADIO!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

The RCA ports are on the back, so you just have to remove the head unit everytime and switch them lol. I'm learning that just because they put stuff like outside tv mounts, solar power ports, etc, doesn't mean you need to use them, but I'm guessing your heart was set on sitting outside the trailer with the boys watching some game! Maybe just plug an external speaker into in when you do, the sound will probably be better that the OEM outdoor speakers anyway.

Tags
furrion, hdmi, speakers