RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

How does the Dometic igniter work?

Hello I have a new Geo Pro that the has the Dometic RM2551 that has not worked right from the factory. Dealer says the part needed is nowhere in the country and supposed to be a controller board issue.
The gas always lights but shuts off after varying attempts.

My original symptoms were:
It tries to ignite three times then the check light comes on.

Tried adjusting the igniter (many ways) and it works somewhat better:
Now the igniter will stop sometimes after 5 clicks, sometimes after 60, sometimes not at all. If it has been on for awhile and the temp has reached and shuts off and tries to start again it will fail.
Sometimes it will attempt to light multiple times in shorts bursts and then work or fail.

My question is how does the igniter know when to stop trying to ignite and what tells it to shut off when trying to lite the burner when there isn't a thermistor of some kind? Or does it actually sense the flames heat?
I have searched the forum and downloaded a troubleshooting manual but have not found how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic igniter.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	239110  
Steve Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
Head Rambler

The igniter is also the flame sensor. The flame produces a small current (microamps) and the igniter rod senses that, and passes it to the control board, which keeps the gas valve open as long as a flame is sensed.

If any of the connections get corroded or scaled over the board can't sense the current and it shuts off the gas valve. It can also happen if the igniter rod gets scale on it.

Have you pulled the connectors apart and cleaned both parts?
You can try cleaning the rod with some emery cloth.

Having said all that, if it's the control board (which is common) there's not much you can do about it other than replace it.

If you don't want to wait on warranty parts you can contact Dinosaur Electronics and see if they have a board that will work for you.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #3

Many of that style have the Spark ignitor and flame sensor built into a single unit. Make sure the sensor probe...(bent in "L" shape on end) is DIRECTLY in the flame path. If it doesn't sense enough flame, it will shut down immediately. Home furnace works the same way and mine has done it at home if it gets soot or dirty and it's milliseconds for the sensor to pick up the flame or it shuts gas valve off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

Ok so that's what I thought. I have moved the igniter to many positions and it's brand new so no soot etc. Its flakey whether it's the circuit board or igniter and there both expensive so I'll have to take it in. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nielsen View Post
Ok so that's what I thought. I have moved the igniter to many positions and it's brand new so no soot etc. Its flakey whether it's the circuit board or igniter and there both expensive so I'll have to take it in. Thanks for the clarification!
Here is a troubleshooting page at Dinosaur Electronics:

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/...ricks_Page.htm

If none of that helps you give them a call and they can provide more assistance.

If you need a board Id highly suggest one of theirs. They are better made than the factory boards.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:

In your op you said it was problematic from the beginning
In your most recent post you said itís gotten worse
25 years of trouble shooting flame sensing circuits lends me to think it may be the incoming power is below 12 volts
A reputable HVAC service tech can come to you if you arenít familiar with testing circuits
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

I would have taken it in to the dealer but it could have sat there for who knows how long so I ordered a new igniter and low and behold that fixed it!
Dinosaur didn't have a board, so after troubleshooting voltage, moving the electrode in micron positions, noting it worked better in cold vs hot weather, measuring the propane pressure etc. it is finally fixed. It was defective from the factory... So nice having it work each and every time now!
Old 10-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #8

Glad it was a simple fix
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I would have taken it in to the dealer but it could have sat there for who knows how long so I ordered a new igniter and low and behold that fixed it!
Dinosaur didn't have a board, so after troubleshooting voltage, moving the electrode in micron positions, noting it worked better in cold vs hot weather, measuring the propane pressure etc. it is finally fixed. It was defective from the factory... So nice having it work each and every time now!
Did you ever try to contact Dometic? The fridge has its own separate warranty and they probably would have sent you a free igniter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #10

No I didn't and didn't think that I could have. Oh well they still don't have my board and it's been 4 months.. guess I am used to crappy service and used to doing things myself.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
No I didn't and didn't think that I could have. Oh well they still don't have my board and it's been 4 months.. guess I am used to crappy service and used to doing things myself.
Did Dometic tell you they didn't have the board or is that what the dealer said?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #12

The dealer. I would have thought all warranty work would have to go through the dealer so didn't contact dometic.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
The dealer. I would have thought all warranty work would have to go through the dealer so didn't contact dometic.
ALWAYS check with the manufacturer, before believing what the dealer says. There have been hundreds of cases where the dealer lied to the customer because the dealer never sent the order request. Not saying that it happens all the time, especially during Covid but the customer should always follow up to see if a parts order was ever submitted.
The manufacturers of things like, fridge, oven/stove, a/c, furnace, water heater and so on, have their own separate manufacturers warranty that often are longer than the RV's one year factory warranty. Many of us deal with them, rather than the dealer. Also, you don't have to use the dealer for warranty work. You can also use independent RV shops or mobile RV techs. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.

Tags
dometic