Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

How many appliances on 30 amp?

I've been RVing in 30 amp RV's since 2004, and I have always believed (learned from experience) that I have to watch the amps.

well, someone in a 30 amp trailer told me that there are actually TWO circuits of 30 amps, and depending on which circuit your appliance is plugged into, you can run up to 60 amps (30 on each circuit).

I have trouble believe that one!

The A/C is the biggest amp user, if I'm running the A/C then my water heater goes on propane.

On the other hand, I can run electric water heater (12.5 amps), one 3 switch space heater on MEDIUM (7.5 amps), one 4 amp space heater, and the frig (3 amps) at the same time, but if I want to use the microwave, I turn off both space heaters (just to make sure.....), and that is how I handle it. On the other hand, if I need to run the 3 switch space heater on HIGH (12.5 amps) then my water heater goes to propane. Picture Green Acres:

(Oliver) LISA! WHERE IS MY BREAKFAST?

(Lisa) "Oli-vah, I can't make your breakfast because I'm ironing your shirt."

Pretty much like that.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
well, someone in a 30 amp trailer told me that there are actually TWO circuits of 30 amps, and depending on which circuit your appliance is plugged into, you can run up to 60 amps (30 on each circuit). I have trouble believe that one!
As well you should. It's nonsense.

They are thinking of 50-amp RVs where there are two 50-amp circuits. Not true of 30-amp.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

Thank you Barry, I kind of thought it didn't make sense.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

In my former travel trailer I would use a another cheat - turn off the circuit breaker for the power converter when at peak amp draw. I had a pair of deep cycle batteries on the TT so moving the converter off the 120 volt for 2 - 3 hours would drop another 5 - 8 amps from my total shore power draw. I can still do this in my current MH but haven't had the need to - yet. All my lighting fixtures are LED in the new MH so that really dropped my 12 volt demand which reduced the converter amp draw.
Still, as you stated, the A/C (14 amps) and microwave (11 amps) is very close to limits. Keep in mind that the appliance amp ratings are for rated voltage of 120. If the voltage at the campground is lower than 120 volts, the appliance amp draw goes up.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Keep in mind that the appliance amp ratings are for rated voltage of 120. If the voltage at the campground is lower than 120 volts, the appliance amp draw goes up.

Bobby
Whoa! I was assuming a steady draw of 120 volts. I once had the Camping World surge protector which included a readout of your amp draw. I loved that feature, but I was in a rainy area at the time, and the surge protector went POOF. I bought a cheaper one that doesn't have the amp draw meter, and I enclose it in a plastic bag.