Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

How to hook up Furrion 3100 to TV?

We have a Cherokee Wolf Pup 2017 with a Furrion 3100 Radio/DVD player.

There are no instructions about how to connect the unit to our TV. I would assume that it sends the signal through the antenna cabling so you can view DVD's when the TV is mounted outside and hooked into the provided antenna jack. Certainly they didn't think owners would string a aux cable from the unit outside? But then again I can't event get the unit to play to the TV when connected via the aux cable.

Does the Furrion play through the antenna cable? How is yours connected?

Additionally, I see an on/off switch by the antenna jack inside. What does that do? Is the antenna powered?

Any tips and info appreciated!
LifeAsBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

Well here is the manual for the 3100.
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=2336853

You are unlikely to be getting DVD content over antenna wires. If you will note that on page 11 there is a wiring diagram from the back of the radio that shows AV output1 and 2 consisting of
1. A standard set of AV composite cables (yellow red white) which would be run directly to the VIDEO (not antenna) input of probably the closest TV. Experience is that lots of times the factory gets this plug in process wrong so you should check your connections to insure they are color matched at both ends. (OUTPUT from DVD player to INPUT on the TV.)
2. There is in the same diagram an option to send output though a SPECIAL AV composite wire that ENDS at the 2nd TV inpur jacks just like the first cable...but starts with what resembles a headphone jack but is actually a 3way composite AV jack. This option may or may not have been installed in your camper...but can be added with the purchase of a cable at the local Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Showcas...nd+video+cable

Alternatively...if you find you want DVD somewhere it isn't wired in...you can buy a portable player for $29 bucks or so and plug it in wherever you want. A blue ray player would provide way better quality than you will get from the Furrion on any TV and allow you to use HDMI high definition sources.
Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT....yes...the antenna has a power boost that needs to be turned off if you are watching cable to prevent static and interference.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Thanks @camaraderie. Very useful info!

Some of my confusion is due to the fact that they did not leave the rear of the unit exposed, it was walled off. But I removed the panel and discovered the AV Composite cables. I guess I assume too much of the RV industry when I expected it to be somehow pre-wired to play DVD's to the TV mounting areas.

This is more of a rant, but why would a manufacturer tout DVD features and then hide the inputs and never mention it in documentation - outside of wiring diagram provided with Furrion which you can't expect your lowest common denominator (me!) to easily use.
LifeAsBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

L.A.B..... well, one might ask why they are installing a DVD player from a no name offshore maker with features that don't include a high definition source output?
But don't blame FR too much....it is the same across the industry to hit price points and sell the glitz. Documentation is notoriously bad...but fortunately there are forums like this with knowledgable folks and even some FR employees to help and the internet now has manuals on line for most everything.
When in doubt....assume the worst...and never believe anything the dealer tells you! LOL
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote