Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #1

How to’s

Hello all and happy holidays! I am not sure if this is where I should post this and this is my first time here, but I have an issue I cannot seem to find the answer to anywhere. The FOREST RIVER website and online manual were useless and the dealer where we purchased more so.

My husband and I purchased a 2022 FR Wildwood Heritage Glen travel trailer in October. Besides all the troubles we have had since the beginning, we have questions regarding the entertainment system. It contained a Sansui TV (with analog connections) and a Jensen stereo system. The TV is garbage (tv speaker sound and picture and not a smart tv) with antiquated analog connections to our King connect antennae and we could never convert the speakers down to the Jensen speakers. That said, we decided to purchase and install a Samsung smart tv…here’s the problem:

Since the OLD tv was connected via analog (WAY outdated technology) and the new tv has digital optical, there are no ports to connect the old system to the new tv. I have researched the web and you tube and nothing applies unless we purchase external speakers to connect the tv to with a converter. Can someone help me with this please?

One other thing, there is a cover in back of tv for King connect (dealer said this is how we can add additional wifi extender, satellite and /or cell booster), but when I removed the cover, there were wires there, but no “connections” to add such equipment. It’s hard for me to believe that the FOREST RIVER website owner manuals don’t address either of these issues (electronics portion said “2015 or newer”- can you say, WAY behind the times) AND that given the low prices of smart TVs these days and cost of rvs , they are not doing a better job with installing newer technology entertainment systems.

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can give me.
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #2
Retired Army MSG!

I have owned 4 rigs over the years. one used and the remaining 3 were purchased new. None of them came from the factory with a TV. That is not a bad thing because they upcharge you for like you stated above junk. Saying that, I only connect my main TV to the stereo system in the living area. When I purchased my latest rig this year, I bought a larger Vizio Smart TV to use in the living area and connected the Audio output of the TV to the Stereo that came with the rig via RCA cables. They are colored red and white for audio connection. The speakers in the rig are not terrible sounding, but definitely for from the high quality sound of say Bose or Sonos. TV for us is just something to do when we can't be outside exploring are sunning on the beach so unless there is a game or certain show we really want to watch we do not worry with it very much. As for manuals, your Forest River manual will give you very little help for any installed appliances or electronics. There should be a separate manual for those devices included in your packet that came with the rig or you should be able to search the WEB by model number for the electronics or appliances and get info that way. Merry Christmas and I hope this helps. I am sure there will be a lot of others that will chime in as well.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #3

Thank you for the info. Yes, it was the living room tv I was speaking of and I tried many ways via my knowledge of our past rigs and none of it worked to get the speaker output to the Jensen speakers. The RCA cables I have are audio/video (white, red & yellow) and our new tv has no ports for them. Only digital optical port. It is very frustrating to me as I do have some technical savvy, but have tried to figure out a way to no avail. ����*♀️
Old 12-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #4

PROZOR 192KHz Digital to Analog Audio Converter DAC Digital SPDIF Optical to Analog L/R RCA Converter Toslink Optical to 3.5mm Jack Adapter for PS3 HD DVD PS4 Amp Apple TV Home Cinema https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KNNSK...0APC6WDGGVXCQ2

Maybe a convertor?
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Team

I'm thinking like Mike. Get a converter to connect from the output to the RV wiring. However, given your writing above I don't think you're going to be happy with the installed speakers. You're probably going to be better off getting a good sound bar that will work in the RV.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

My last couple Samsung TV’s have used this optional connector for analog.
Maybe yours is the similar? I think there are a couple different styles. Always seemed silly to me that they aren’t included.
Samsung BN39-02189A AV Gender Cable DC TO RCA

Name:   IMG_8803.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  9.1 KB
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

Yes Mike & Rambler, that’s what we were thinking too. I had found several converters if we chose that option. Thank you for that idea Tombsby.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #8

My 12v Furrion tv has an HDMI cable to the Jensen radio with HMDI mode that puts the audio out the coach speakers.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #9

Look at all the HDMI "inputs" on the TV. See if one is labelled ARC which stands for Audio Return Channel. You plug in the Jensen HDMI port into that port on the TV. There should be an input setting on the Jensen for TV which will take the sound from the ARC port on the TV. There will be a setting in the TV menus to enable sound to be passed to the HDMI ARC port. All you need is an HDMI cable, no converters or anything.

Page 8-9 of this manual talks about ARC audio:
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../522JWM72A.PDF
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote