Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #41

Take the faceplate off where the outside connectors are. I have seen the coax cable loose or undone on the back side
Firefighter306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
I have a clue; Back when the Dish technician was here, he stated there was no tone coming from the outside coax connection to any of the inside coax connections. The Forest River representative I had on the phone, told me the outside coax should send a signal to one of the inside coax connections, but not necessarily the one in the living room.

So, the living room wall plate has two coax connections and in the bedroom, there are two wall plates with a total of three coax connections. I just got a closer look to the bedroom connections and one of the wall plates looks just like the one in the living room compartment under the tv, and the other wall plate with the third coax connection, also has a button next to the coax connector, that pushes in and out. When pushed in, a green LED light comes on. There is also a hole just to the right of the wall plates where a coax cable feeds out. This seems like it is the major hub for the outside coax connections.

Maybe I should remove that wall plate and see what lies behind it.

The one with the light is for the anteana, power. When on, it overrides any other signal.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #43

Hey! I have a 2018 Sandpiper 378fb and it has 4 satellite connections and a park cable connection in the wet bay. The park connection runs to the amplifier behind the bedroom tv where it also goes to living room tv when the amplifier is turned off ( the green light is turned off). The satellite connections are independent to certain locations with their own faceplates (one to the living room, bedroom, outdoor kitchen and the cargo bay). I found this out by getting a cable continuity tester from Lowe’s. It came with four different colored cable caps that I placed on the different face plates in my camper, I then connected to each satellite connection in the wet bay and it indicated what color cap it was connected to. I had to do this because all the cables were the same colored. Maybe this will help someone.
unionsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #44

My first question would be: "Has it ever worked before ?"

(Not the TV antenna, the coax hookup)
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter306 View Post
Take the faceplate off where the outside connectors are. I have seen the coax cable loose or undone on the back side
It turned out to be helpful when I took the outside faceplate off. I could see the two cables were both white in color. I was able to remove all the interior faceplates and see that they had several different colored cables. All I had to do then was to find a white cable in the living room and another white cable in the bedroom to get both Dish boxes hooked up and working properly.
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionsrcool View Post
Hey! I have a 2018 Sandpiper 378fb and it has 4 satellite connections and a park cable connection in the wet bay. The park connection runs to the amplifier behind the bedroom tv where it also goes to living room tv when the amplifier is turned off ( the green light is turned off). The satellite connections are independent to certain locations with their own faceplates (one to the living room, bedroom, outdoor kitchen and the cargo bay). I found this out by getting a cable continuity tester from Lowe’s. It came with four different colored cable caps that I placed on the different face plates in my camper, I then connected to each satellite connection in the wet bay and it indicated what color cap it was connected to. I had to do this because all the cables were the same colored. Maybe this will help someone.
I did notice colored cable caps on the connections in the wet bay. Ultimately, what worked for me was finding the white colored cables inside the camper that matched the white cables coming in from the wet bay. I was easy because most of the interior cables were other colors.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egalt View Post
My first question would be: "Has it ever worked before ?"

(Not the TV antenna, the coax hookup)
Unknown. I purchased the Cardinal under circumstances where the daughter of the owner gave me a tour. Because it was not properly hooked up to power at the time, I was unable to confirm what worked and what did not work. It turns out she was telling me the truth when she said everything works.

My biggest setback with the satellite hook-ups, was the Dish technician telling my he found no continuity between the outside connections in the water bay and any of the inside connections. It turns out that he never tried all the inside connections. He just gave up and told me nothing was working. It wasn't until I came to these forums and asked for help that I learned how to properly trouble shoot the problem and then solve the problem. Everything is working great.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #48

Coax hookup

My 2018 Cardinal Explorer 32 ft developed cable connection problems after about a year. YouTube sent me using tin foil and an ohms meter to check connections. I had had to revert to using a long cable through a window to connect direct to the main TV. Unable to use the bedroom TV without direct connection. After frustrating effort finally found the outside “cable” connection coupler was faulty. Switched to the “auxiliary” coupler and the system finally worked.
Good luck
Thompsr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsr10 View Post
My 2018 Cardinal Explorer 32 ft developed cable connection problems after about a year. YouTube sent me using tin foil and an ohms meter to check connections. I had had to revert to using a long cable through a window to connect direct to the main TV. Unable to use the bedroom TV without direct connection. After frustrating effort finally found the outside “cable” connection coupler was faulty. Switched to the “auxiliary” coupler and the system finally worked.
Good luck
I was going to mention something like that. It really does no matter which coax you connect to as long as it goes to the place you want to use. It's all 58 ohms. When you find out where they all go, just connect to the one you want. I would put making tape or something to write on and put the destination on it.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
I was going to mention something like that. It really does no matter which coax you connect to as long as it goes to the place you want to use. It's all 58 ohms. When you find out where they all go, just connect to the one you want. I would put making tape or something to write on and put the destination on it.
apples and oranges? RG58 coax is 50Ω and RG6 coax is 75Ω. RG6 is what's installed in the op's RV.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:45 AM   #51

It matters if the coupler is bad. Using the ohmmeter meter indicates integrity of the line but doesn’t test the splitters or couplers. Hard to find the ‘weak link’
Thompsr10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior