Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

I want to replace my TV’s

I want to replace my 2 TV’s. Would like to get something with built in DVD. Do I need anything special power supply or otherwise re TV’s?
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

I run a combo TV/DVD in my bedroom area plugs into 110V but it actually runs on 12V thru a built in transformer in the plug. you don't have to do anything special get TV just like you would for your stick house.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #3

Nothing special required... One thing I would consider is making sure it's a smart TV so you have built in streaming services when you have wifi access... If you find one that you like and it's not "smart" and you want streaming services, you could get an Amazon Fire stick for $40 and you just need to be sure the TV has an HDMI input.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

I bought and use the TLC smart tv 43inch, works great and low cost, at 16lbs it's not heavy
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoharley View Post
I want to replace my 2 TV’s. Would like to get something with built in DVD. Do I need anything special power supply or otherwise re TV’s?
Nothing special unless you want to watch them when not connected to shore power. (boondocking)

Some tvs designated as R/V tvs run directly off 12v so you can use them off the battery when shore power isn't available.

A lot of household tvs today use a wall brick the changes the 120v AC to 12v DC so many of the tvs today 'could' be used without shore power with the proper power cable. You always have the option of using an inverter as well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

Most of the smaller TV's over the last couple years seemed to move to 19v. I wonder if it is to stop the people trying to run them direct off 12v. Some times your camper pushed 15v
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #7

I happen to have recently done a considerable amount of research on this very issue. Here is probably what you want:
SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV with HDMI Input, AC/DC Compatible for RVs and Built-in DVD Player, 24-Inch
Barry Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Allen View Post
I happen to have recently done a considerable amount of research on this very issue. Here is probably what you want:
SuperSonic 1080p LED Widescreen HDTV with HDMI Input, AC/DC Compatible for RVs and Built-in DVD Player, 24-Inch
And here is a link to that...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Depends on whether you have shore power all the time or whether you want to run them on battery power.
You can buy any tv you want, if you always have 110v AC power. These will be the more affordable option.
If you want to run it off a 12v lighter outlet, you'll need an AC/DC tv. These are less common and you'll pay more. They also will have less features and be smaller than a comparably priced 110v AC tv.
Do you have 12v lighter outlets for both tvs?
The Supersonic tv listed above does NOT appear to be a Smart tv. I would NEVER buy a non-Smart tv anymore, especially as an RVer. Smart tvs provide more options for viewing tv while traveling. The ability to for casting to the tv is a must.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #10

I want something I can watch going down the road and on shore power. Will not do much boondocking.
Looking for a 36-42” smart tv with dvd and may replace the older one in the bedroom
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Enjoying Life

The problem with some smart tvs is the apps never get updated. So, when the new steaming services come out or the service changes(like netflix) your stuck. Get a stick like Amazon Fire or Roku and they will update and have the ability to cast. My Roku also lets me play movie files from a USB drive.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

12V TV

I just purchased a 12V 32” TV from FreeTV.com. The largest 12V TV that you can purchase is 40” without built-in DVD player. I originally purchased a Visio but could not use it unless plugged into shore power or generator. I really did my research and found out that even though I have a 3,000 watt inverter and 570 amps of solar, I was unable to watch a regular AC TV. Don’t worry about the smart TV; buy a Roku streaming device. I have four Rokus, one of which I use in my RV. What you need to worry about is your Internet/WiFi capabilities. For that, purchase a TOGO Nd a data plan for $30 a month. I hope this helps.
travelininmymbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #13

I made a voltage converter that turns 12vdc into any voltage between 12vdc - 32vdc, I made this so I could run my Sony 43inch 4K UHD smart TV which came with an AC power pack that supplied 19.5 vdc to the TV.

I installed a digital volt meter on the converter I made so as to adjust it to the correct voltage needed to power what ever DC appliance its connected to and from memory it handles up to 15amps continuous output..... also you will see in the picture that it shows a current reading...… that current reading is measuring the current drawn from the RV battery for the whole unit. Not the current draw from the TV

The unit was easy to make ( if your handy with a soldering iron and a few other tools) and not that expensive, the module itself is easy to get.

Just an idea for those that are interested in making their own converter.

If you need to know more, PM me i'm only to happy to help where I can.

Cheers
Scotty
Click image for larger version

Name:	67800504_10214371079166088_7349580940659654656_o.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	218712
scottcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #14

Smart TVs are going down the path blazed by 8-track, vcr and (soon) DVDs. All the TV needs is a few HDMI inputs. I can get DirectTV, Dish, Roku, Amazon Fire, Netflix, YouTube, all the major networks and sports channels and way too many more to list here with a single device...AppleTV. Why would one want a Smart TV with maybe less than 10 apps that can never be updated.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #15

Yep. And the almost-gimmick.......4K......

Almost nothing is broadcast in 4K. On DirecTV for example, there are 2 channels, and they rarely have any content.

Heck, nothing is even broadcast in 1080p. It's all 1080i. Really, about all except a few ESPN are 720p.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #16

Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Smart TVs are going down the path blazed by 8-track, vcr and (soon) DVDs. All the TV needs is a few HDMI inputs. I can get DirectTV, Dish, Roku, Amazon Fire, Netflix, YouTube, all the major networks and sports channels and way too many more to list here with a single device...AppleTV. Why would one want a Smart TV with maybe less than 10 apps that can never be updated.
Actually, the Samsung Smart TVs (and others) download "apps" (Roku calls them "channels") and checks for updates and downloads them as needed. They have a huge catalog.

You aren't the first person I've met who sees the half-dozen apps that are pre-installed and never reads the manual to see how to add more.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Actually, the Samsung Smart TVs (and others) download "apps" (Roku calls them "channels") and checks for updates and downloads them as needed. They have a huge catalog.

You aren't the first person I've met who sees the half-dozen apps that are pre-installed and never reads the manual to see how to add more.
Plus you can't cast to a regular non-smart tv, without adding something like a FireStick or GoogleCast stick.
We use our Dish Anywhere app to cast directly to our Samsung smart tv. We can access our DVR recordings and all our tv channels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #18

I bought a Jensen TV with built in DVD player for our bedroom. It's a small tv and the sound was awful. Bought a Insigna sound bar from Best Buy, plugged right up, and now sound is very good. I have severe hearing loss so I was very pleased with this sound bar.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #19

Too complicated for the average person

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcmb View Post
I made a voltage converter that turns 12vdc into any voltage between 12vdc - 32vdc, I made this so I could run my Sony 43inch 4K UHD smart TV which came with an AC power pack that supplied 19.5 vdc to the TV.

I installed a digital volt meter on the converter I made so as to adjust it to the correct voltage needed to power what ever DC appliance its connected to and from memory it handles up to 15amps continuous output..... also you will see in the picture that it shows a current reading...… that current reading is measuring the current drawn from the RV battery for the whole unit. Not the current draw from the TV

The unit was easy to make ( if your handy with a soldering iron and a few other tools) and not that expensive, the module itself is easy to get.

Just an idea for those that are interested in making their own converter.

If you need to know more, PM me i'm only to happy to help where I can.

Cheers
Scotty
Attachment 218712
Too complicated and complex for us average, simple folk but thanks.
travelininmymbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelininmymbs View Post
Too complicated and complex for us average, simple folk but thanks.
Judging from the large amount of PM's I am receiving from "AVERAGE FOLK" about how to build one I think the intention of my post to help people in this forum with this idea, to show that there is other options to be able to run higher DC voltage appliances whilst Boondocking has actually worked for what was intended.

I actually find your reply to my post condescending and not necessary for what this forum is all about.

Have yourself a great day

Cheers
Scotty
scottcmb is offline   Reply With Quote