Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #21
Retired Army MSG!

I have been working from home since March 20. Got tired of the walls so called a favorite campground in Charleston SC and they said we are virtually empty come on down. I used my King Tailgater and Dish Wally receiver there from Tuesday evening until I left for home this morning. It works great for me. The only thing I don't like is changing my service address each time I use it. When I change the service address it changes my home receiver as well as my Wally and Tailgater are part of my home package so I can use anytime I want. I don't do the pay as you go deal. It only added 7 bucks a month to my home account.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Many thanks for all of the responses to my query. So much good information to go over. I have a couple other questions. The first is can you receive such national broadcasts like CBS, NBC, etc? I did not see that on a quick look at the 50 channel package. And also can you operate another tv off the ota antenna while someone is watching the wally tv ? Like I said I'm not too swift on this stuff.

Thanks Dave
If the sat input to the tv is via HDMI you can switch the tv to antenna input and run a scan for OTA stations which would be through the coax cable input to the tv. Be sure and have the booster panel on.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #23

We've done the same, and now I use the 'chat' feature to update my 'local channels' address, which seems easier...

but, I will say this, too, many times, depending on 'how far' you go, you may still be in the same 'spot beam' as your home's Local Channels, not requiring ANY discussion or chat with DISH to change it, if you don't wish to, and STILL receive those same 'home' locals.
Atlanta is like this, it is a BIG southeastern 'spot beam' and you can pick it up in GA, SC, NC, and AL... I'm in far North Alabama now, and still use the 'Atlanta' local channels, since they tend to have more selections than the locals here. We've also had a cabin in North Carolina, above the GA border, and got the same channels there. We travel to southwest Georgia, to our family's home, and still get the same 'Atlanta' channels there too.
The easiest way to do this is simply to do 'nothing'. When you acquire the signal and it then programs the channels, you'll soon find out if those same 'locals' are in the viewing area where you are at. (make sure to choose those same 'channel numbers', of course.)

In some areas, there are 'several' different local 'spot beams' that are overlapping - in this case, you can use an address in one of those areas closer to the choice of locals you want, in order to pick up those locals, even if Dish were to assign you ones that are 'more' local than those - I've had this happen in western North Carolina - they originally assigned my 'far western NC' address to Asheville, NC local channels, but that doesn't really make any 'sense' for anyone aware of 'where' far western NC really is - it's closer to CHATTANOOGA, not Asheville, or even closer to ATLANTA. So, I gave them my 'address' as one closer to Cleveland, TN, which then allowed me to see Chattanooga LOCALS. I eventually changed it to ATLANTA locals, with a far N GA address, just because I liked those more.

This works in a lot of different places around the country - those 'metro' areas that have very large spot beams cover a lot of area, and most often overlap those 'smaller' cities that may have their own locals affiliates. I found this with southeast GA, as I could choose Albany to the south, Columbus to the west, Macon to the nearer north, or even Atlanta to the far north of my 'actual' location. Just using google maps to find a business address 'nearer' the spot beam location you wish is an easy way to give Dish your 'address' so that you pick up those locals. Even if you don't 'know' for sure if you can reach those locals, trying doesn't hurt. If you lose your current locals and don't find any at all, you'll know you are 'not' in that spot beam area : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #24

If you are only 50 miles east of Austin I would call around to local RV dealers and see if they sell them. With this Covid-19 anything that gets ships is taking a lot longer. I use Amazon a lot and it seems to be taking forever.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #25

Western vs Eastern sats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerjk View Post
You can get the local stations if you ask Dish for them. I think they are on the satellite programs also. To get on another channel you will need a dish that can have a hookup for 2 receivers and you will have to be on the same satellite.

Since evryone is talking dishes & setup. What is the difference with some antennas that get both western & eastern Sats. Mine only gets the eastern ones I think. Whats the advantage of both. I'm a sat dummy also!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrx View Post
Since evryone is talking dishes & setup. What is the difference with some antennas that get both western & eastern Sats. Mine only gets the eastern ones I think. Whats the advantage of both. I'm a sat dummy also!
The difference is in the programming of the dish’s pointing ability. The advantages are that some local stations in the northeast require the eastern arc satellites and some locals in the west require western arc satellites to get the proper spot beam. The second advantage is that sometimes you can be blocked from getting signal from one set of satellites but be able to “see” the others without obstructions.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #27

On my dish service local channels is extra. When I travel I get the local area from where I live up to 200 miles away. After 200 miles I get an error message. I have to call dish and give them my current location and in a hour I will have the new "local" channels (and yes the keep telling I can do it on line but I have yet to get it to work)
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #28
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
We have DUSH Hopper system at home and two Wally boxes for our 5th wheel. I can turn them on and off using the DISH Anywhere app. When we arrive at a new location it takes but a simple call to have DISH switch local channels to my new location. I have a KingDome auto search antenna. I wired it so that I can use it mounted on the roof or move it to a tripod if signal is blocked. There are two great apps; DISH for my RV and Dish align. The first is great to use when you arrive so that you will know if the satellites are blocked by a tree, the second is great to use when making reservations. Using the aerial view you can look at the campground and determine which sites to stay stay from. If you have two tv’s make sure you purchase an antenna that will support two. Also with all dome auto search antennas the second tv is limited to channels on the same satellite the main is locked on to. Not much of a problem with DIDH since most, but not all HD stations are on sat 129. Lastly I also have a stationary dish antenna and tripod which I sometimes use for extended stays.
I have the same set up at home, but on the road I use an automated Tailgater II, my DW has so many shows set up to record at home that I had to set up a complete new account for the 5er. I had problems with the using the 2nd Wally in the Bedroom due to wanting to watch shows that are on a different satellite than the Master, so I just went to OTA in the bedroom of the old 5er. We now have a 2020 Riverstone and will be headed out next week up to Nebraska to set up for the summer. This unit has 2 satellite hookups in the water closet. I am hoping that each one goes to a separate TV (Livingroom and Master). I am not sure about the external TV, so that might be a project all on its own. I don't know what problems I will have with this unit. I know that Dish signals do not like going through any type of splitters and no matter what anybody says, you can not have a cable of over 50 feet or you will not get a good solid signal because the Wally's do not have any type of power booster to go beyond that distance. I had Direct before and had to have that power booster in order to get a solid signal.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Well I am finally fed up with ota tv. Even though we upgraded to a Kingair system it is nerve racking trying to reprogram 6 or 7 times a day to receive even a few channels that are not going pixel, tearing or freezing. Where we are might be a difference as we are about 50 miles east of Austin staying put till covid-19 situation gets better.
So how do I get started with Dish service pay as you go like alot of fulltimers use and what and where can I get the equipment needed.
But like I said I'm a baby in the woods about this stuff and I may have asked about it before but I'm not as young as I was last week.

Dave
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA10...fsclp_pl_dp_13.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #30

We tried to do the DISH tailgater for our trailer in Northern NH but it did not work for us, because we are too far north and have too many trees around us. However, after calling DISH many times, I ended up calling Wineguard, They told me to download a Satellite signal finder app. Do your self a favor and download it. You hold it up to the sky and it shows you where all the satellites are. It shows Directv,DISH, Bell, and Shaw direct. We are seasonal campers, so we ended up cancelling the tailgater and had DISH come and install a normal dish and have been very happy with it.
Twincamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #31

I’m considering getting the Pathway system with the Wally receiver. Since I don’t have Dish at home is it possible to add the receiver to my daughter’s account (the $7 plan)?

I am not interested in local channels so the question is can I use the system wherever I happen to be while the service address is in North Texas?
Old 05-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
I know that Dish signals do not like going through any type of splitters and no matter what anybody says, you can not have a cable of over 50 feet or you will not get a good solid signal because the Wally's do not have any type of power booster to go beyond that distance. I had Direct before and had to have that power booster in order to get a solid signal.
I have to disagree with both of these statements.
True, splitting any coax you will lose signal and I always try to avoid splitters when installing. But you can use a good quality power passing splitter if you have to with a satellite system.
You can also use more than 50' of coax cable between the dish and the receiver. I've used up to 200' with my old Tailgater with success. In fact, the dish came with 75' of coax. Again, you just have to use good quality coax (RG6) and fittings.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerjk View Post
If you have a Camping world membership they have a special going on you buy the satellite dish you get the Wally receiver for free. I think that promo ends soon. Yes they still have pay as you go for about 43 dollars a month. If I can hook it up anyone can do it. Worth it every penny. I would recommend the tailgater dish,. If you mount it on your rig you will have to make sure you have a clear sky to the satellites.
Thanks for the lead. I've got the combo on order and will try the satellite-on-the-go experience.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #34

I got the Playmaker setup today from Camping World (no wisecracks y’all...they were $43 less than Amazon). Connected the Dish coax to the Forester standard installed coax on the roof, connected to the SAT coax outlet in the tech cabinet and power it up. Took about 12 minutes to do the initial setup. As soon as that was done I called Dish and less than five minutes later it was working fine. Love the $7 a month plan.

CW didn’t have the roof mount kit so Amazon is delivering it this weekend for $8 less than CW. When it gets here I’m going to use thumbscrews for the final connection so it can be quickly removed to put on a tripod.

I did talk to Forester tech rep who advised that all their models that have the satellite coax connection in place on the roof have extra reinforcements forward of the coax to install the dome. Just put sealant on the eight screws and enjoy the new systems.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #35

I am not interested in local channels so the question is can I use the system wherever I happen to be while the service address is in North Texas?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
I am not interested in local channels so the question is can I use the system wherever I happen to be while the service address is in North Texas?

Yes you can....[/QUOTE]

Yes. My “service address” is in north central Texas but I’m watching all channels EXCEPT local ones while I’m parked at home in Georgia.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #37

yes, as your 'service address' is really only for TWO reasons:

- local taxation(and, believe me, it IS very different depending on WHERE you are!)

- local affiliate 'National' channels, like NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, which you WON'T see if you keep the same 'service address' yet move far enough away that you are no longer in the local 'spot beam' for that address/area.

so, enjoy TV anywhere you go... only LOCAL channels are affecting when you travel.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Yes you can....
Yes. My “service address” is in north central Texas but I’m watching all channels EXCEPT local ones while I’m parked at home in Georgia.[/QUOTE]

If you call Dish and give them the ZIP code of your temporary location they will change the locals on your plan so you get the locals for the area in which you are.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Yes. My “service address” is in north central Texas but I’m watching all channels EXCEPT local ones while I’m parked at home in Georgia.

If you call Dish and give them the ZIP code of your temporary location they will change the locals on your plan so you get the locals for the area in which you are.[/QUOTE]

Yep...aware of that. However, this is a Wally receiver intended for RV use and affiliated with a master account (Hopper DVR). I’m on the road and other folks are watching the master unit in Dallas. If I change the service address to a Georgia (or other) location then the folks at home no longer get any of their local channels.

Not a problem for me because I never watch the big three networks via Atlanta stations. To call them incompetent would be a complement. If I want to see a specific network program (ie Blacklist) it will be available on the Dish Anywhere app or the specific network app.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #40

Before you buy NEW satellite setup look on Facebook market place.
In my area right now you can get a used dish tailgater/playmaker setup for under $200.
(I just bought one and it’s sitting in the basement unused for now for $150)
Bamamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite