Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

I'm confused over "grounds".

I know just enough about electricity to hurt myself. That said, I read a lot of posts about loose grounds. With the DC aspect of the RV is the ground the return to the negative side of the battery? That is the chassis, metal framework, etc.?
On the AC side what is ground? It's obviously not a long copper rod stuck in the ground.
Finally, if I feel the need to go looking for loose grounds how do I do that without destroying my unit? We own a Lacrosse 328RES. I assume all my grounding connections are behind walls or covered up by the cover on the bottom of the trailer.
Thanks for any words of wisdom.
Rick
Pilgrim49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Actually, Ground IS a copper rod stuck in the ground. All the ground wires in your RV connect to the ground on the pedestal outlet. Which goes back to a main panel somewhere, where it is connected to the copper grounding rod.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Most of the time the DC negatives (grounds) are connected to the frame in an exposed area, or tied to the distribution panel. That's not always the case, but it's the case most of the time. The negative connection is usually near the battery.

You shouldn't have to go ripping out walls or underbelly to find most of them.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172av8r View Post
Actually, Ground IS a copper rod stuck in the ground. All the ground wires in your RV connect to the ground on the pedestal outlet. Which goes back to a main panel somewhere, where it is connected to the copper grounding rod.
X2

Mike Sokol is discussing generator neutrals in his article link below, but it also explains the grounding system in houses/shore power vs RV's. It may help in your understanding, as well as a problem you may encounter should you use a generator in your future.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

With your shore power cord unplugged, remove the front panel from your converter, there will be plenty of tightening on the power, neutral, and ground screws. There are a couple of ground screws on the back of your fridge accesed by removing the outer vent, there will be a ground near your battery, there may also be a ground in your front storage bay for the landing gear motor or pump (if you have a fiver). There is sometimes a ground for your stove under the burner cover. There is a ground near your J box where your pigtail connects.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

Thanks all for your quick responses. And the copper rod in the ground through shore power makes all sorts of sense now that you mention it. So much to learn.
Thanks again
Rick
Pilgrim49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172av8r View Post
And when you're not plugged in?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
And when you're not plugged in?
Then you are running on 12v only, and your frame is used as common (negative side of dc). The trailer is not connected to earth ground.

Tags
fuse