Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 01:40 AM   #1

Insect covers over furnace vents

Given that many of us have had issues with insects nesting in our propane heater vents why doesn’t the manufactures of the appliances designed the systems to prevent that from occurring? They apparently recommend not to put screens on because it might decrease the air flow and thus cause a premature failure of the appliance. I say BS to that. What do you think a bunch of insect do…..ya….decrease the flow of air and cause the heater to fail. They should be able to design a propane heater to tolerate the minimal air flow issues that a screen would cause. Seems like kind of a manufactures’ modified planned obsolescence. Ive lost two heater to this issue and I live in the Pacific NW with minimal insect as opposed to many other areas.
BootsIshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:51 AM   #2

Maybe they just don't want you putting a fine window screen (metal) over them, that might be reatrictive. I put the bigger mesh "bowl" screens that attach with springs, over my vents. I don't see how they would be restrictive, and they don't seem to have affected the furnace so far.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
I Break Everything

Cover them or don't, we do. However if you don't you will find out why eventually people do and it will probably cold outside when you find out. Dirt daubers.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

I use the bowl shaped screens and never lost a heater yet
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

I had a similar problem on my old fiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	That's me - Hot Stuff.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	263817   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Solution.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	263818  

CAMPING - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

We cover our vents and have had no issues so far.
Attached Images

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1264
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
Cousins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We cover our vents and have had no issues so far.
I bought the same screen cover kit. The flat rectangular pieces for the refrigerator cover do not fit very well. I haven’t zip tied them on yet but need to install them soon. They leave little gaps at the ends as the radius on the screens doesn’t match the radius on the plastic cover.

If it has a little hole somewhere, a dirt dauber will try to start his nest in the hole.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie and Catherine View Post
I bought the same screen cover kit. The flat rectangular pieces for the refrigerator cover do not fit very well. I haven’t zip tied them on yet but need to install them soon. They leave little gaps at the ends as the radius on the screens doesn’t match the radius on the plastic cover.

If it has a little hole somewhere, a dirt dauber will try to start his nest in the hole.
I put those on my refer a few years ago and used quite a few zip ties to attach. I thought they worked good.
Had cooling issues this year
as did many here . Ended up taking it to dealer who said that might have been a contributing factor
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
Maybe they just don't want you putting a fine window screen (metal) over them, that might be reatrictive. I put the bigger mesh "bowl" screens that attach with springs, over my vents. I don't see how they would be restrictive, and they don't seem to have affected the furnace so far.
X2. I've never had an issue with the screens restricting air flow. I just make checking the screens part of my daily check list, but even so I have yet to find a clogged screen.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #10

Screens

I spoke to Suburban techs @ the FROG rally. He said it does restrict air flow slightly and Axcel/Suburban does not recommend, but if it were his trailer he would put them on. It is more critical on the Insta heat heaters, 60K BTU VS 25K on the standard heaters. I have on. my Insta hot, no problem.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #11

In 50 years of RVing, we have never had a failure, all my outside vents are screened. And that's operating from Alaska to Fl. to Texas coast to the East coast and now middle Tennessee. Your choice.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #12

Red face Screen Advantage

One of the things I like about the screens is that they are on the outside of the body, that lets you see if anyone is trying to build a nest or crawl inside. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't think about checking as often as I should If I had to open a door or cover to check.

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #13

Short and sweet, if you dont have insect covers, get them ASAP, you'll eventually regret it if you don't...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #14

This past 7 days we have been experiencing the annual invasion of Shield Bugs, aka Stink Bugs. They get into virtually everything. The screens are a must here in Ohio. We've also had lots of wasps all summer long. I suggest the round screens on Suburban heaters. The rectangular ones are a little too big and rest on the paint instead of the stainless steel exhaust plate. Too much potential for rubbing through the paint.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #15
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
This past 7 days we have been experiencing the annual invasion of Shield Bugs, aka Stink Bugs. They get into virtually everything. The screens are a must here in Ohio. We've also had lots of wasps all summer long. I suggest the round screens on Suburban heaters. The rectangular ones are a little too big and rest on the paint instead of the stainless steel exhaust plate. Too much potential for rubbing through the paint.
X2 in MD! Have used the screens for years with no issues.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #16

There is a very good reason why the screens are not supplied by the manufacturer, and YOU Should Know What It Is…. IT MAKES THE MANUFACTURER LIABLE IN A LAWSUIT BECAUSE ADEQUATE AIRFLOW TO THE APPLIANCE WAS REDUCED. There were a lot of those lawsuits back in the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s ….. don’t you remember??? (Do you ever research anything???) By making it so YOU, the Consumer has to buy the screen, it places the liability on YOU!!!! That includes death and disfigurement…. If you read the labels on the screens, there are warnings about their use, which you agree to ignore when you install them. Now…. I have them… have had them for years with no problem…. however, I am always conscious of the fact that if a fire starts… it is my fault because I read the warnings and went ahead to use the product.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsIshere View Post
Given that many of us have had issues with insects nesting in our propane heater vents why doesn’t the manufactures of the appliances designed the systems to prevent that from occurring? They apparently recommend not to put screens on because it might decrease the air flow and thus cause a premature failure of the appliance. I say BS to that. What do you think a bunch of insect do…..ya….decrease the flow of air and cause the heater to fail. They should be able to design a propane heater to tolerate the minimal air flow issues that a screen would cause. Seems like kind of a manufactures’ modified planned obsolescence. Ive lost two heater to this issue and I live in the Pacific NW with minimal insect as opposed to many other areas.
I had to put the screens on to stop birds from buildi g nests, luckily I saw one fly out and investigated. The bird had built it's nest all the way in the blower, what a pain to get everything out.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
I had to put the screens on to stop birds from buildi g nests, luckily I saw one fly out and investigated. The bird had built it's nest all the way in the blower, what a pain to get everything out.
Is there a professional cover that could go over blower intake? My homemade screens don’t stay on. (I have a bright red “Remove before flight” tag on my dash panel so I don’t make the very costly mistake of forgetting to remove it.)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
There is a very good reason why the screens are not supplied by the manufacturer,..
Every time I read one of those warnings, I ask myself if it was put on by an engineer or a lawyer.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #20
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Is there a professional cover that could go over blower intake? My homemade screens don’t stay on. (I have a bright red “Remove before flight” tag on my dash panel so I don’t make the very costly mistake of forgetting to remove it.)
As others have talked about the round, domed screens that are on Amazon. I have traveled lots and lots of miles without losing one yet.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, furnace, vent