Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 02:42 PM   #1

Internet

Good news the wife was told she will be working from home indefinitely now and me on shift work from the cote gold mine means more camping. But we will need internet in the motorhome don’t want to hotspot from our personal cell phones. But the company will cover a service. Anyone have anything like that on there rv. We live in alberta if that matters at all
Bezzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #2

I bought a ZTE hub from Telus, it was its own SIM card and data plan. Then you can connect your devices via wifi.
The 110v adapter puts out 12v so it was easy to hardwire to a 12v source using a spare phono plug.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #3

If you are members or join FMCA they have a tech connect package that includes a hot spot. It is through T-Mobile and completely unlimited. No throttling unless you happen to hit a busy tower.

We just spent three months in FL with both of us working remote and it worked great.

It is 5G and we had over 600 meg connection most days.

Works great for us.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:59 PM   #4

There's a LONG thread on iRV2 (sister forum to FRF) describing how to use Visible with a travel router to get unlimited data for $25/month. As yours will be paid for, cost isn't a significant issue, but unlimited data is a good thing.

Connections may still be an issue, depending on where you travel.

$25/month unlimited internet ... interested?

Also, rumors suggest Starlink is experimenting with mobile connections but it's not officially supported.

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:23 PM   #5

The OP is in Canada, our data rates are quite a bit different due to our smaller population.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #6

What is FMCA
Bezzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzola View Post
What is FMCA
Google is your friend:

https://www.fmca.com/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
What is FMCA

It's just another Good Sam's type club for the RV industry. Looking into it myself specifically for the T Mobile cellular Internet access.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
If you are members or join FMCA they have a tech connect package that includes a hot spot. It is through T-Mobile and completely unlimited. No throttling unless you happen to hit a busy tower.

We just spent three months in FL with both of us working remote and it worked great.

Works great for us.

Looking into the T Mobile Internet plan myself. But, this plan won't work for the OP though. Their Internet plan is only available in the US and not offered in Canada.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:

Works great for us.

Also, looking at the FAQ, they do not provide 5G services with the Tech Connect plan, only 4GLTE.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #11
Canadian Member

Quote:
Good news the wife was told she will be working from home indefinitely now and me on shift work from the cote gold mine means more camping. But we will need internet in the motorhome don’t want to hotspot from our personal cell phones. But the company will cover a service. Anyone have anything like that on there rv. We live in alberta if that matters at all
Here are a couple of sources for researching a solution.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/membership/

https://mobilemusthave.com/

The equipment that Mobile Must Have sells will work in Canada with a Canadian provider (Rogers, Bell, Telus) but talk to them to discuss your options.

You can buy a mobile hotspot like Tombsy noted as well but if you will be in a remote location you might need an external antenna.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #12

After doing final research of the FMCA Tech Connect+ offering, it appears it's not all that great a deal and uses entry level, low performing hardware to boot. I'll continue to look elsewhere for 5G alternatives.

The Plan:
The one size fits all, entry level plan provides 50GB of data monthly for $50 (not bad, but there are other very similar plans out there for less). Still have to join FMCA for $60 and pay and additional one time lease charge of $40 for the hotspot. T-Mobile only provides 3 to 4GLTE wireless service with this plan, so no chance of seeing anything 5G, or better.

The Hardware:
The hotspot provided with Tech Connect+ is an Alcatel Linkzone 2, which is a low end, entry level device (which is probably fine for the basic wireless plan to which it's connected). The hotspot uses a Category 4 modem, which is quite old tech. The maximum download and upload speeds of a Cat 4 device top out at 150MB/s and 50MB/s respectively. The Alcatel has an internal 2 x 2 MIMO antenna, which is less than most other MIMO hotspots on the market that come with a 4 x 4 antenna configuration. Unlike 4 x 4 MIMO antennas, a 2 x 2 configuration cannot take advantage of channel aggregation, which provides not only better cellular signal, but much faster Internet performance too. Lastly, the Linkzone 2 offers no TS9 ports to connect to an externally mounted antenna
Old 04-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
After doing final research of the FMCA Tech Connect+ offering, it appears it's not all that great a deal and uses entry level, low performing hardware to boot. I'll continue to look elsewhere for 5G alternatives.

The Plan:
The one size fits all, entry level plan provides 50GB of data monthly for $50 (not bad, but there are other very similar plans out there for less). Still have to join FMCA for $60 and pay and additional one time lease charge of $40 for the hotspot. T-Mobile only provides 3 to 4GLTE wireless service with this plan, so no chance of seeing anything 5G, or better.

The Hardware:
The hotspot provided with Tech Connect+ is an Alcatel Linkzone 2, which is a low end, entry level device (which is probably fine for the basic wireless plan to which it's connected). The hotspot uses a Category 4 modem, which is quite old tech. The maximum download and upload speeds of a Cat 4 device top out at 150MB/s and 50MB/s respectively. The Alcatel has an internal 2 x 2 MIMO antenna, which is less than most other MIMO hotspots on the market that come with a 4 x 4 antenna configuration. Unlike 4 x 4 MIMO antennas, a 2 x 2 configuration cannot take advantage of channel aggregation, which provides not only better cellular signal, but much faster Internet performance too. Lastly, the Linkzone 2 offers no TS9 ports to connect to an externally mounted antenna
Just sayin if you are hung on 5G...

I've been traveling with a T-Mobile MIFI 5G hotspot for just over a year now as I work remotely, daily from wherever we are. Campgrounds are located more often than not, where 5G is not available. And in some instances 4G has better network speed up/down than some 5G places. Not all but some.

And FWIW... I have a Verizon MIFI 5G hotspot that has even less 5G coverage. But between the two, I've never not had adequate connectivity to do whatever I want whether it be 4G or 5G.

Just my on the road experience worth 2¢.
The 4G-5G landscape is changing but still rather slowly.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #14

Internet

Quote:

The Plan:

The Hardware:

Actually the hardware I received from them as a replacement for the old hotspot is 5G.

Can see the 5G connection directly on the device screen.

Using speedtest while in Florida we had 600+ meg connection most days.

It is unlimited and we had a month of over 700 gig used with no throttling as both of us were using it for work.

The only time they would throttle is if you are over a certain amount and you hit a busy tower. Even with all the snowbirds in FL while we were there we did not experience any throttling.

You are correct on the no external antennas and being an FMCA member.

We already had the membership for the services they provide, and have roadside assistance through them as well as the tech connect.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Just sayin if you are hung on 5G...

I've been traveling with a T-Mobile MIFI 5G hotspot for just over a year now as I work remotely, daily from wherever we are. Campgrounds are located more often than not, where 5G is not available. And in some instances 4G has better network speed up/down than some 5G places. Not all but some.

And FWIW... I have a Verizon MIFI 5G hotspot that has even less 5G coverage. But between the two, I've never not had adequate connectivity to do whatever I want whether it be 4G or 5G.

Just my on the road experience worth 2¢.
The 4G-5G landscape is changing but still rather slowly.

Yes, please share your experiences!....promise you it's worth much more than a couple of copper Lincoln's.

I'm not particularly needing 5G as its normally not available outside most urban or city limits, as you've mentioned. What I am hung up on is making sure that whatever money I do spend on a mobile Internet plan and the needed equipment, it must be 5G ready, or capable for when it is rolled out to the lower wireless frequency bands. Completely understand it'll be another couple years before it proliferates to areas we camp. Just wanting to future-proof for 5G by making smart buying decisions now, so I don't have to do it all over again in another two or three years from now.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes, please share your experiences!....promise you it's worth much more than a couple of copper Lincoln's.

I'm not particularly needing 5G as its normally not available outside most urban or city limits, as you've mentioned. What I am hung up on is making sure that whatever money I do spend on a mobile Internet plan and the needed equipment, it must be 5G ready, or capable for when it is rolled out to the lower wireless frequency bands. Completely understand it'll be another couple years before it proliferates to areas we camp. Just wanting to future-proof for 5G by making smart buying decisions now, so I don't have to do it all over again in another two or three years from now.
And that's exactly what I did 1 year ago.
I've always believed it isn't wise to spend money on a lateral technology move.

Sounds like you understand the landscape pretty well. Best of luck in your decisions.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Actually the hardware I received from them as a replacement for the old hotspot is 5G.

Can see the 5G connection directly on the device screen.

Using speedtest while in Florida we had 600+ meg connection most days.

It is unlimited and we had a month of over 700 gig used with no throttling as both of us were using it for work.

The only time they would throttle is if you are over a certain amount and you hit a busy tower. Even with all the snowbirds in FL while we were there we did not experience any throttling.

You are correct on the no external antennas and being an FMCA member.

We already had the membership for the services they provide, and have roadside assistance through them as well as the tech connect.

This is all very good news and thank you for sharing these important details.
FMCA needs to update their website with this information. As it is with what's on their website, I'd choose a plan from somewhere else. They claim no 5G in their FAQ that they also need to change. There'd be no way I'd pay for a plan that didn't at least have this capability.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
This is all very good news and thank you for sharing these important details.

FMCA needs to update their website with this information. As it is with what's on their website, I'd choose a plan from somewhere else. They claim no 5G in their FAQ that they also need to change. There'd be no way I'd pay for a plan that didn't at least have this capability.

Yeah, it is a recent change. They used to have one through Verizon as well but they dropped it since they could not get true unlimited and nobody wanted it (just my guess in why they don’t offer any longer but probably a good one since it was limited to 50gig a month)

Their roadside assistance came through twice on the trip to Florida and back to Ohio when we had tire issues. More than pleased with that also just as an FYI.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
And that's exactly what I did 1 year ago.
I've always believed it isn't wise to spend money on a lateral technology move.

....so, does this make you a wise man, a wise guy, or both?
Old 04-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
....so, does this make you a wise man, a wise guy, or both?
Yes!