Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
Jed

Inverter issues

I'm new to the forum and the world of RV ownership. I have a brand new Georgetown 364ts and I am having trouble with keeping the AC units running.

I start the generator in order to run the AC units but they won't consistently work. I have the inverter turned on and have reset all breakers a few times. If I keep resetting the breakers for the inverter and ACs, I can get one or both to work, but they quickly kick back off. The breakers aren't actually kicking off by themselves.

I am not sure if I'm just missing something or have a defective unit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Jed
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #2

The simple advice, if it's brand new, is to take it back to your dealer and let them figure it out.

Beyond that, some of what you say is confusing. You say: "The breakers aren't actually kicking off by themselves." If not, then what is happening -----?? I assume that you have the thermostat set such that the AC units should be on???

Have you tried the AC units on shore power ---- i.e. MH plugged in to shore power?? Do they work on shore power??
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

The inverter is there for your residential fridge not for the AC. Is kind of confusing what you are saying. You seem to be confused about the electrical power side of your MH and as mentioned probably should take back to dealer for assistance.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Jed

Thanks for the replies.

It turns out I was a little mixed up on the electrical setup. I began suspected the inverted because the AC coincidentally started working the first time the problem occurred after I switched the inverted power off and back on.

The AC units do work on shore power and after a number of phone calls today it seems as though the problem may be with the transfer switch and too much load on it with both AC units powered on. I can get one running consistently but shortly after turning on second one it will all shut down.

As for the breakers, they were not actually resetting, I think that I may have just been unloading some of the draw from the switch/generator for long enough to get the AC to turn on.

Am I expecting too much from the generator/other supply components, or is there something that still needs replacing?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

What make/model generator are you using?
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Jed

Its new, so I would guess either 2015 (chassis 2015) or 2016 (coach 2016) Cummins Onan 5500.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Team

If both AC units start at the same time you will exceed the capacity of the generator. if the inverter is on and running the fridge you will compound the problem. I do not think you have a problem other than you may not be able to run both ACs and inverter at same time when on generator

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If both AC units start at the same time you will exceed the capacity of the generator. if the inverter is on and running the fridge you will compound the problem. I do not think you have a problem other than you may not be able to run both ACs and inverter at same time when on generator
That's what I was thinking too, plus there is always a certain amount of power going out from the generator to recharge the batteries which can be anywhere between 5 and 15 Amp AC, depending on the converter. The 5500 Onan is capable generator but it has its limits.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #9

You definitely have a problem, I am having the same problem. I have brought it 3 times back to lazy days in Tampa. You should be able to use everything the manufacturer put in the coach when the generator is on. I agree you might have to start them slowly but after 20 minutes everything should be working. I am as frustrated as you are. I think there is a problem with the Georgetown. If you have a chance, please call me so we can discuss further. You are fourth person I have found having the same issue. I am putting together a list in case we need to pursue this legally.
GotMiami.Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #10

Do you have your fridge on 110? Put it on 12v and propane and take that amperage loss out of the equation. This may help on you AC start up. Start up takes way more amps than just running.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Do you have your fridge on 110? Put it on 12v and propane and take that amperage loss out of the equation. This may help on you AC start up. Start up takes way more amps than just running.
if the OP has a residential fridge, it doesn't run on propane, only 110v AC.

that's why i would never have a 110v AC residential fridge. i like having the option for propane.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter