Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

Irma did it

So I thought that we were very lucky here in SW Ga. to not have any major damage from what was Tropical Storm Irma by the time it got to us. I had the normal 10,000 small limbs down in my yard and was thankful that was the only damage we had. But, today I happened to think that I had not checked the TT since Irma blew by eight days ago. I keep my TT plugged up, the A/C t'stat set to 80*, and the TV on all the time just because I want to. When I walked in the TT today the outside temp was 88* and the inside was 92*, what the heck what happened to the A/C? I checked the t'stat and it was on 80* but hot in the TT. While standing there I noticed that the TV and DISH Wally was off so I tried to turn them on. No luck. Ahah, I thought, this has happened before and it is the GFCI in the bathroom. I went to reset the GFCI and the "resest" button did click when I pushed it but still no 110vAC power. I started back tracking and found that a limb had fallen on the shore power cord and pulled it out about half way out of the receptacle but it wasn't visible until I raised the lid on the box. That's got to be it I'm thinking so go to check the power in the TT again. The A/C was running but no power to anything else. Let's check the GFCI again, and it did indeed click when I pushed the "reset" button. Still no power to anything 110vAC in the TT. Shorten the story--I kept checking everything and finally took the GFCI out of the box, removed the wires and tied them together eliminating the GFCI. Bingo, power on. I've ran across other GFCI receptacles in houses that would not work but seemed to "reset". Luckily I had a new GFCI in stock from when I had a business doing HandyMan work and installed it. Another bingo, everything that was 110vAC was working. So, the A/C problem was that the shore power cord had been pulled out enough to not make contact. All the other 110vAC problems were related to the bad GFCI. Thinking back we had lost power numerous times during the one high rain/high winds event on Monday of TS Irma and that may have been the reason for the GFCI to go bad. So don't assume that just because the "reset" button clicks the GFCI is actually reset and working.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I call the electrician as DW will not let me work on anything electrical
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote