I finally got mad at the 2 foot range of the remote on my IRV34 and pulled it out. When I disassembled it, I found the the receiver chip was mounted a quarter of an inch back and an eighth of an inch below the lens in the face plate. I unsoldered the chip and made a socket from an Arduino stackable header. I soldered this new socket in place. I also removed the lens from the face plate. With some creative bending of the leads, I was able to position the receiver chip so it peeked through the hole in the face plate. My remote now works throughout the living area. NOTE: If you do this, it will void the warranty and if you do it wrong you will damage your radio. I'm sorry but I did not take pictures. This is my first post so please forgive me if I did it wrong.