Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Question Jensen 12 Volt TV leaking fluid

My Jensen 12 volt TV is leaking what looks to be battery acid!!!
Do the 12 volt TVs come with anything inside that would do this? What would cause it? Just another thing to go wrong with my unit! Not like FR at the moment!
__________________

__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
It's probably oil from a large capacitor. Not acid, but you don't want it all over everything either. Jensen has a good reputation so I'm not sure why this makes you unhappy with Forest River.
__________________

BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,402
Assuming this is an LCD TV - the L in LCD stands for liquid...it is possible the display is leaking, though there is actually very little "fluid" in there. Like Barry said - could be a capacitor which has oil in it. Generally you do not want to touch that, it might have PCB's which are carcinogens.

I would assume you are still under FR warranty- call the dealer.

If you are not - call Jensen. They are a company that usually stands behind their products.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
(There haven't been PCBs in anything for many years now.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Thanks, I will have to call Jensen, warranty has expired and extended warranty does not cover the TVs...
Why I'm I mad at FR? Let's see: Poor quality components equal bad experience with FR...
1 - Door handle/lock broke on first trip... locking us out of unit.
2- converter went out on 2nd trip
3- Wall boards and molding popping loose
4- Big TV in sitting area has two pixels burnt out! (drives me nuts)
5- refrigerator stopped working had to be replaced
6- new fridge not cooling like it should
7- Flexco (POS whole other issues with this one ) steps broke, cheap aluminum rivets.
8- Steps broke again last week causing me to fall ( ) back is hurting again! and no I'm not that fat (220 lbs)
FR and Flexco refuse to do anything about the steps... Crappy components equal crappy RV experience. Shame cause I had no issues purchasing a new Cedar Creek, due to the fact that my 07 had no issues at all! Would like it back!
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
(There haven't been PCBs in anything for many years now.)
X2 Outlawed for at least the last 30 years.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 48
I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

I can assure you that this is not a known issue as weve never experienced a TV leaking a red colored fluid. Where on the TV do you see this? While it may be possible a capacitor could fail, these are small enough that any residue would be in a very small area surrounding the capacitor and contained within the TV. Generally speaking, if a capacitor does fail, some or all of the TV functions will not work. Does your TV work normally (all source modes, functions, etc.)?


I understand the TV is out of warranty, however, if you are certain that this substance is not from something else that may have spilled on the TV, wed be willing to examine the TV, and if found to be defective, provide repair services.


If you are interested in returning your TV for examination, please give us a call. You can reach us on our toll free technical support line at (877) 845-8750. We are available M-F 8:00 AM till 6:00 PM EDT.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
__________________
ASA Electronics - Producer of JENSEN RV TV's, stereos & speakers; Voyager Observation Systems & Advent appliances.

jensenrvdirect
JENSENRVDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSENRVDirect View Post
I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

I can assure you that this is not a known issue as weve never experienced a TV leaking a red colored fluid. Where on the TV do you see this? While it may be possible a capacitor could fail, these are small enough that any residue would be in a very small area surrounding the capacitor and contained within the TV. Generally speaking, if a capacitor does fail, some or all of the TV functions will not work. Does your TV work normally (all source modes, functions, etc.)?


I understand the TV is out of warranty, however, if you are certain that this substance is not from something else that may have spilled on the TV, wed be willing to examine the TV, and if found to be defective, provide repair services.


If you are interested in returning your TV for examination, please give us a call. You can reach us on our toll free technical support line at (877) 845-8750. We are available M-F 8:00 AM till 6:00 PM EDT.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
Thanks for the info, what are your cost per hour for repairs? I am very sure the fluid came from the TV. It is mounted in an area in the RV where all that is there is the wood cabinet and the TV. Not sure it would be worth sending it back in if the cost to repair and shipping is too much! May just open it up myself and see if there is liquid on the inside too!
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Thanks for the info, what are your cost per hour for repairs? I am very sure the fluid came from the TV. It is mounted in an area in the RV where all that is there is the wood cabinet and the TV. Not sure it would be worth sending it back in if the cost to repair and shipping is too much! May just open it up myself and see if there is liquid on the inside too!
Hi Textman,

Other than the fluid, is the TV full or partially functional? As for repair, if the TV is found to be defective, we will repair it for you at no charge.
__________________
ASA Electronics - Producer of JENSEN RV TV's, stereos & speakers; Voyager Observation Systems & Advent appliances.

jensenrvdirect
JENSENRVDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
pics of my tv

This is a little late, but take a look at these pics. TV is leaking fluid and now it has crusted over...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161125_171307.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	125754   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161125_171322.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	125755   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161125_171328.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	125756   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161125_171342.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	125757  
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
They still make oil-filled capacitors, they just don't use PCB's in the oil anymore.

Did you ever send it back to Jensen? Seems like that would have been the thing to do.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
waiter21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 627
I can't imagine anything inside that TV that would leak that much fluid. The capacitors in question normally have a very thick paste that impregnates a paper insulator, and the amount they leak would be a small eyedrop if its a larger capacitor.

I suspect something got spilled inside the TV and is just now leaking out.
__________________
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #13
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,394
I have seen capacitors leak some of the wax and the same with transformers, but I do not believe there is anything in a TV that size that could produce that much liquid. Have you had any critters in your unit. Most all today's electronics always have some portion powered up even when off which produces some heat. I have had rodents sit/sleep on top of a TV to stay warm. I raised several baby squirrels a few years ago and one urinated while sleeping on the tv and saw a similar mess.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 702
No chance at all that there is anything with that much liquid in the tv! Whatever that is did not come from the tv. I have worked on TVs for years. LCDs do not really have any liquid that would not evaporate in a minute. A cap if it blows it cooks out and the oil turns solid usually.
__________________
2019.5 Rockwood 2509S
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Just so we are on the same page.....
You have a TV that started leaking an unknown fluid 3 years ago.
The factory rep offered to fix it free of charge 3 years ago.
You posted again yesterday that it is still leaking and getting worse?
No offense but the only person you can blame our be mad at is yourself.
Take the TV out today, clean up the mess and buy a new, better one for $200.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
textman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 187
Crunchman I'm not mad at anyone... just posted the pics after discovering this week that more fliud had leaked and crusted over. Never sent it back , cause once I cleaned it up from a few years ago, had not seen any more fluid or issues. So out of sight out of mind. Just thought it to be odd that this had occurred. I know I should have sent it in, but life sent me more issues than a TV
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Studded
Loving Life
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 12,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Crunchman I'm not mad at anyone... just posted the pics after discovering this week that more fliud had leaked and crusted over. Never sent it back , cause once I cleaned it up from a few years ago, had not seen any more fluid or issues. So out of sight out of mind. Just thought it to be odd that this had occurred. I know I should have sent it in, but life sent me more issues than a TV
Did/does the TV continue to work after this mystery fluid leaked out?
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by textman View Post
Crunchman I'm not mad at anyone... just posted the pics after discovering this week that more fliud had leaked and crusted over. Never sent it back , cause once I cleaned it up from a few years ago, had not seen any more fluid or issues. So out of sight out of mind. Just thought it to be odd that this had occurred. I know I should have sent it in, but life sent me more issues than a TV
You never did say if the TV still works? Keep us posted when you take it apart.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
I looked at the 2013 picture and right away wondered if a cat was sleeping on the TV and whizzed on it.

Cats do that.

I don't like cats, my wife dies however.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I looked at the 2013 picture and right away wondered if a cat was sleeping on the TV and whizzed on it.

Cats do that.

I don't like cats, my wife dies however.
Not a Freudian slip, I hope!
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12 volt, leak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.


×