Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Jensen AWM970 - Standby vs off

Hello to all forum members and lurkers. I am hoping my question is easy, and that this is a result of me being new to the recreation (first year with an RV).

My 2012 Tracer 3150 BHD is equipped with a Jensen AWN970 stereo, which I think is working wonderfully. I exhausted my search options receiving mostly results on the "sleep" feature of the stereo turning on after a set time.

My problem seems to be just turning the stereo all the way off. When I hit the power button, it puts the unit in standby (the backlight is still on, but less bright, you can see the current set time still etc). The music stops etc. so it is essentially off from a function perspective, but from a storing the RV perspective, the unit is still on and draining the battery. I have tried the owners manual (no specifics on turning the unit fully off), held power for several minutes, tried holding various other buttons associated with other brands of stereos that will turn them off, all to no avail.

The last thing I just tried, was turning all of the breakers in the RV to the off position, still nothing. I think I may have to wire in my own battery disconnect or something.

I know there are lots of things that can drain a battery while in storage, but I think this is my culprit.

Thanks all for taking the time to read through my post and hopefully there is someone out there that can provide some insight into this for me =)
ekoesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I'd like to know that too. I thought it was always in the "stand-by" mode and the backlight was always on. Our stereo is mounted in the bedroom, so the light at night drives me crazy and I have to cover it up. I have a battery by-pass switch and turn everything off when I am in storage. Hope some one pipes in with an answer to your question.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The reason your breakers won't turn power off is because the stereo is 12v. You would have to a pull a fuse.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

Thanks ttrost65, I probably should have known that =). Hopefully there is a full "Off" function but if not a fuse will have to suffice.
ekoesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

There is no way to turn it "more off".

It's not the only thing drawing "parasitic" power from your battery. The most commonly known one is the propane/CO detector. Probably also the thermostat.

If you don't already have a battery-disconnect switch, you either have to disconnect the battery at the terminals or install a switch.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote