Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2022, 08:29 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

King connect prewiring

So I have this blank cover on our bedroom wall. Has anyone ever actually hooked it up? It claims it is prewired but there is nothing behind the plate just a small 1/4 hole. There are no ports I the roof either other than the ota TV antenna, no wires in the wall space. Just curious. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220606_194152.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	274474

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #2

There is a small coax wire inside. You will have to remove the screws holding the antenna down to plate on the roof and there’s a port you have to punch or drill out for the antenna mount.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
There is a small coax wire inside. You will have to remove the screws holding the antenna down to plate on the roof and there’s a port you have to punch or drill out for the antenna mount.
I didn't see any plates on the roof. I do have the ota antenna so maybe this? I'll snap a shot of it when I get home.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #4

King Connect Pre-wire / Post Wire Completion

I connected the wiring and have used the system while camping. It works well, but is limited by how many users in the park. The attached pictures show the OTA (Over The Airwaves) antenna on the roof of my 271RL before install. A photo of the dicor lap sealant used to reseal the OTA antenna and tack down the cabling to the omni-directional King Connect antenna. The interior shot shows the WiFi repeater mounted to the wall. Don't make the mistake I did and mount below your A/C thermostat as the repeater generates heat and if you set the A/C for 76F you will freeze yourself out. Had to set for 83F to be comfortable. The cable was behind the wall and fortunately I was able to access behind the wall via the vent fan in the bathroom which shares the wall with where I mounted the repeater. I ahd to remove the shroud for the vent fan to access the "attic" space between the ceiling and trailer roof. I had help in identifying the wire by having someone tug on the cable in the attic space while I held a dental mirror and flashlight in the wall cavity behind the plate that states "Pre-Wired". I used the mirror, a wire coat hanger bent with a hook on one end and had someone hold the light directed up in the wall cavity. I would tell you it was pure luck to snag the cable on the third try. Hey, even the blind squirrels find the nuts, some times! The King Connect cable was in the base of the OTA antenna but not connected and you will have to drill the base, install the pass through pinch device. Cover everything well with dicor lap sealant once completed and reseal the OTA base with dicor. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTA Antenna before install.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	274500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dicor Lap Sealant.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	274501   Click image for larger version

Name:	OTA Antenna and King Omni Directional.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	274502   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIng Connect Interior.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	274503  
jrschneider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrschneider99 View Post
I connected the wiring and have used the system while camping. It works well, but is limited by how many users in the park. The attached pictures show the OTA (Over The Airwaves) antenna on the roof of my 271RL before install. A photo of the dicor lap sealant used to reseal the OTA antenna and tack down the cabling to the omni-directional King Connect antenna. The interior shot shows the WiFi repeater mounted to the wall. Don't make the mistake I did and mount below your A/C thermostat as the repeater generates heat and if you set the A/C for 76F you will freeze yourself out. Had to set for 83F to be comfortable. The cable was behind the wall and fortunately I was able to access behind the wall via the vent fan in the bathroom which shares the wall with where I mounted the repeater. I ahd to remove the shroud for the vent fan to access the "attic" space between the ceiling and trailer roof. I had help in identifying the wire by having someone tug on the cable in the attic space while I held a dental mirror and flashlight in the wall cavity behind the plate that states "Pre-Wired". I used the mirror, a wire coat hanger bent with a hook on one end and had someone hold the light directed up in the wall cavity. I would tell you it was pure luck to snag the cable on the third try. Hey, even the blind squirrels find the nuts, some times! The King Connect cable was in the base of the OTA antenna but not connected and you will have to drill the base, install the pass through pinch device. Cover everything well with dicor lap sealant once completed and reseal the OTA base with dicor. Hope this helps.
Thank you I will look closer to the roof

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrschneider99 View Post
This is what I got on the roof, I see the intend in my crappy photo. Thank you. Not sure if it will be used or not yet, but I was curious to it's hookup. Their web site was not so clear on that part. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220607_144835.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	274513

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-07-2022, 04:45 PM   #7

If and when you order the kit, call King and tell them you need the bracket that attaches to the ota antenna. They will send it for free with proof of purchase. Keeps you from having to drill and seal new holes in your roof.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
If and when you order the kit, call King and tell them you need the bracket that attaches to the ota antenna. They will send it for free with proof of purchase. Keeps you from having to drill and seal new holes in your roof.
Good to know thanks

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-07-2022, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
So I have this blank cover on our bedroom wall. Has anyone ever actually hooked it up? It claims it is prewired but there is nothing behind the plate just a small 1/4 hole. There are no ports I the roof either other than the ota TV antenna, no wires in the wall space. Just curious. Attachment 274474
I have the same antennae on my roof. It has the King WiFi receiver built in. No additional kit required there.

I also had the same blank plate and no wire. Took me a while to find the coax behind it, but it was there. I just bought the King wifi box and plugged it in. Works a treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4733.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	274538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4736.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	274539  
Attached Images

1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have the same antennae on my roof. It has the King WiFi receiver built in. No additional kit required there.

I also had the same blank plate and no wire. Took me a while to find the coax behind it, but it was there. I just bought the King wifi box and plugged it in. Works a treat.
Good to know thanks

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
wiring