Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #21

The wall switch button is pressed in and the green light is lit. If the amplifier is not on, the antenna reception is really bad in the metro area. Turing the antenna direction to different positions and rescanning makes little improvement. When hooking up the rabbit ears, I disconnected the King Jack coax from the back of the TV and plugged in the rabbit ears into the TV coax input. Thats is when I get ⅓ more stations.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Does it use your phone's GPS location and built-in compass functions or is that part all manual? If it uses one of those or both, please give its name.

I looked at several but the ones I found would not even use our GPS location, which left us semi-guessing as to where we were in a location we'd never been to before. I could not derive much value from those.

I also have a disconnect between where the arrow on the KingJack knob points and where the antenna itself seems to be pointed. I used to work in the broadcast industry as an engineer in this area a long time ago (our home area) so I know where most of the physical locations are for the transmitters, which is between NE and ENE.

Yet I have to point the antenna slightly south of due east to bring in the weaker stations. The masses of metal on the roof called "air conditioners" could be affecting the antenna pattern a bit.

My biggest deficiency seems to be the qwappy splitter that FR installed, which is used by both the cable and antenna inputs. I dug it out and it has more loss than I would expect. Moving the cables around made a difference on some of the TVs in a weak signal area we were in. I need to chase the cables and mark which one goes where.

At one campground where we're at for a month all three of the TVs were very snowy on their analog cable system. The staff brought out a battery-powered TV and connected it directly to the cable outlet on the pedestal. It was crystal clear. So I ran one of my cable TV extension cables in a bedroom window and connected it directly to the bedroom TV and to the pedestal and the picture was crystal-clear.

I have a hand-held device called a spectrum analyzer I brought along with us on the trip. The signal coming out of the pedestal was reduced by 10db, or reduced to one-tenth of its strength, by the time it got to the front TV. That is a lot of loss for such a short distance so something is wrong somewhere.

No, turning the TV antenna preamplifier off does not help when using cable. We have the MovieVision VCS-3 switching box so the preamplifiier is not in the signal path when the box is set to "Cable".

Ray
the app DTVANTENNAS
PETEWOOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
The wall switch button is pressed in and the green light is lit. If the amplifier is not on, the antenna reception is really bad in the metro area. Turing the antenna direction to different positions and rescanning makes little improvement. When hooking up the rabbit ears, I disconnected the King Jack coax from the back of the TV and plugged in the rabbit ears into the TV coax input. Thats is when I get ⅓ more stations.
OK, thanks. Do you have a switch box like we have? If so that's the next place I'd try plugging the rabbit ears in at.

Do you have multiple TVs with a splitter buried somewhere?

Having a veritable lifetime of working with RF and antennas the amplified King Jack antenna is kind of on the short side (length, not height) for a lot of directionality but it definitely has some. A few stations are quite marginal here because they're low power.

I know the King Jack instructions say to turn the antenna 90 degrees and rescan and keep doing that in 90 degree increments but on our weak stations that likely would miss them entirely. If I turn the knob about an inch in the wrong direction those weak stations go away completely.

With you only being about ten miles away from the transmitters there definitely is something wrong.

Do you have the signal strength LEDs on the antenna knob box?

Ray
Old 04-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
My last fiver had on-tv signals but the forester doesn't.
FYI, I didn't think my Summit TVs did either but one day I noticed them at the bottom of one of the setup screens, something about DTV. They actually show the strength of the channel I'm tuned to. There definitely is a few seconds lag on the bars, though. Turn the antenna knob and wait a few seconds to see what happens kind of thing. Yellow bars give a usable picture.

Ray
Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #25

I suppose mentioning that the King Jack is a directional antenna and the pointy end is not the directional end is not note worthy for any of these issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #26
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEWOOLF View Post
the app DTVANTENNAS
Thanks for that clue. I found one in the Android Google Play store named Digital TV Antennas and published by Nicolas Lichtmaier. When I installed it, the icon shows up as DTV Antennas and it does precisely what I wanted. Uses GPS and the compass functions and shows a simple arrow pointing to the multitude of TV stations in this area.

Cool. It costs $4 but Google Play gave me a $2 discount for buying in the first 24 hours. (Purchase is not mandatory but I prefer to throw a few bucks at the individual app writers.)

Ray
Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #27
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I suppose mentioning that the King Jack is a directional antenna and the pointy end is not the directional end is not note worthy for any of these issues.
It might be. I just use the arrow imprinted on to the knob itself. I didn't notice it originally because it's white on white.

Ray
Old 04-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #28

I looked at our new camper. On the wall is a plate with antenna booster button is where the tv cable is hooked to. Then there is another plate with a short coax cable connecting both of the cable ports on that plate. Right now we just have the tv in the living room. The antenna is a “shark fin” on the roof that is surprisingly good. In our carport with a metal roof I get 10 channels from 40 miles away. I haven’t tried it in the driveway yet, but I think I would do better out from under the steel roof. I wonder if it would be worth it to put in a King Jack and cut a hole in my roof. Has anyone else had any experience with a shark fin? Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #29

Directional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I looked at our new camper. On the wall is a plate with antenna booster button is where the tv cable is hooked to. Then there is another plate with a short coax cable connecting both of the cable ports on that plate. Right now we just have the tv in the living room. The antenna is a “shark fin” on the roof that is surprisingly good. In our carport with a metal roof I get 10 channels from 40 miles away. I haven’t tried it in the driveway yet, but I think I would do better out from under the steel roof. I wonder if it would be worth it to put in a King Jack and cut a hole in my roof. Has anyone else had any experience with a shark fin? Jay
An antenna of that shape is likely to be directional. If you feel like experimenting, hook up the rig and drive to a school parking lot--likely to be empty right now.

Park pointing north. Count how many stations you can get. Maybe log their signal strengths. Then do the same thing pointing east, south, and west. Let us know how directional that antenna really is.

Wondering about getting an omnidirectional antenna? Some are available. The problem is that besides picking up the signal you want, they pick up signals from stations all around that you don't want. This degrades the wanted signal, sometimes badly.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #30

Larry, I never thought about doing something like that. I will consider doing that in the near future. I’ll also compare the difference in reception between in the carport with a metal roof and right out from under it in the driveway. For all I know that metal roof is acting like a big reflector! LOL, not! On our old camper we had the “batwing” that was pretty good overall, and directional. Then I put on the “wingman” and the antenna got noticeably better and WAY more directional. A couple of years later and it started acting funny, like working better when it was faced “backwards” from what it should be to get reception. After testing I found a 50%+ voltage loss in the 3 foot coax that ran from the top of the roof to the antenna head. Replaced it and all was normal again. I figured that twisting around broke up the inside of the coax. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #31

Our 2018 Shasta Phoenix FW came with the same King Jack antenna without the signal meter built in, as the RV manufacturers are trying to save money by buying the lower cost antenna. With everyone good input and advise, nobody mentioned there is an external signal meter made by King Jack that goes between the TV and the wall outlet.

amazon.com/KING-SL1000-SureLock-Satellite-Signal/dp/B0045E3MHK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=King+jack+signal+mete r&qid=1587511837&s=automotive&sr=1-1
Nights Camped 2021 = 40
Nights Camped 2020 = 36
Nights Camped 2019 = 36
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:31 AM   #32

Signal loss on the cabling within the RV. Check the cable that connects the antenna to the faceplate.

When inspecting the video cables attached to the King video distribution/amplification faceplate-kludge-gizmo on my 2017 Sunseeker, I discovered that the cable running down through the ceiling from the antenna was corroded. So much so that the signal lead on the cable broke off when I unscrewed it. The connector was rotted out and is now unusable. I suspect that water has seeped into the cable at the antenna end and has flowed down through the cable all the way to the faceplate connector.

RF signals travel on the outside surface of a conductor and any corrosion will cause signal loss. The solution is to replace the cable and faceplate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King Jack Power Injector Wall Plate.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	238865  

Tags
antenna