Old 08-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

Kit to turn A/C fan off

I've seen a couple of references to a control board kit that can be purchased and installed that turns the A/C fan off when the compressor turns off. Some of the smaller Coleman Mach A/C units like mine run the whole time the A/C is turned on.

Has anyone actually done this mod? A couple of the reviews that I found on the internet in general are not very favorable to the RV Airswitch that I found online and the one at RV eparts (https://www.rveparts.com/coleman-mac...mbly-9330c755/ ) fits a different model from my Model #: 9330F715.

If you've done the install of know someone who has, I'd love to hear from you. This 24/7 fan is really disrupting my sleep and putting extra wear and tear on the A/C unit.

Thanks.
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #2

I understand your frustration. I also have trouble sleeping with the fan running continuously. However, that's the way those units are designed to operate and changing control board could damage the unit and would certainly void any warranty. Earplugs designed to reduce noise has helped me some.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:38 AM   #3

Found a description of this control unit. It is for models that use a wall thermostat. Based on what the seller said, and who knows how accurate that is, you can use it to convert your ceiling control unit to use a wall thermostat. To me that sounds like too much of a project.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Head Rambler

The easy thing to do would be get a relay and power the coil of the relay off the hot leg running to the compressor and route the fan power through a set of normally open contacts on the relay. You could insert it using spade lugs so that if anything ever happened to the A/C that required warranty, you could just unplug the relay setup and put everything back to factory.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #5

I did mine

I upgraded mine for the same reason, first I had to make sure I could fish a 5 conductor thermostat wire from the ceiling mounted AC down the wall to the existing furnace thermostat, you will need the compatible control unit for your AC, a new ceiling shroud to replace your existing with the built in controls, and a remote thermostat that will control your AC fan speeds , hi/low cooling and heat, both heat strip and furnace. I opted for a bluetooth model as I have a 15K Coleman Mach, now I can remotely activate the AC from my phone or wall position. Works excellent, very precise and no more constant fan.
All easy to do IF you can pull in the cable thru the ceiling and down the wall!
I used the existing furnace cable to supply 12V to the new thermostat.
HaulinMyHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #6

Glad I never had one of those AC units. All of ours were Compressor Off / Fan Off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Are you sure you have the fan setting to Auto? If you have the fan set to high or low it will run continuously. My Coleman Mach 13.5k btu fan shuts off when the set temperature is reached.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Are you sure you have the fan setting to Auto? If you have the fan set to high or low it will run continuously. My Coleman Mach 13.5k btu fan shuts off when the set temperature is reached.
Do you control your AC from a thermostat or from knobs on the unit? If the latter, the fan will run continuously.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Do you control your AC from a thermostat or from knobs on the unit? If the latter, the fan will run continuously.
Mine runs from the thermostat. I just assumed OP had a thermostat as nowhere in his post did he say otherwise. A case of not enough information.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #10

You can buy time delay relays and make your own kit and set it up any way you want. You can make the fan a delay start for less generator load and make the fan only run for a specified time after the compressor stops.
aircommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #11

I am the OP. This model does NOT use a wall mounted thermostat. It only has the knobs on the ceiling mounted A/C unit itself. I PM'd with one gentleman who changed the original control board assembly on his unit several years back but he has since gotten rid of that camper and does not remember any of the details.

RVeparts.com has this unit but it does not specifically list my model as being compatible and they have not responded to my request of more info yet. ( Coleman Mach heat-ready air conditioner cool control kit - Control Module - 9330C755 - 8330-752 )

Thanks for your input. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but a couple of the suggestions so far are more than I want to tackle at this point.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #12

I upgraded to this and love it!

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...iling-assembly

It's made by same company that makes the A/C unit itself and will not void the warranty.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #13

I just got through to the Airxcel folks by phone after holding on for 25 minutes and that was their response as well.

How exactly did you go about ordering it.
How long ago?
What was the approx. cost?
On a scale of 1-10 what was the difficulty level?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #14

Also, did you get the model with the heat strip or cooling only? - Thanks.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #15

I got mine from ebay. Mine does have the heat strip control circuit because it was cheaper at the time but I do not have a heat strip in my system. The ceiling unit does not come with a heat strip, only the option to control one and it works just fine without it.

It was pretty easy to install I'd say about 4 on a scale of ten. There are youtube videos for it. You do it all from the inside, no need to get on the roof. The only issue I had was I could not get the control box to fit on the two bolts it was supposed to fit on so I just stuffed it up in that space. Then I read the directions carefully and it said on the small A/C units like mine the control box goes in upside down.

There are several retailers that sell the ceiling units.

Other advantages of it besides controlling the fan with the compressor is remote control from a phone or tablet and the thermostat can be set way lower than the standard mechanical knob so the A/C will actually stay on long enough to really cool things off.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #16

Mmm. Love the idea till I saw the price.

Here you go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	236023
eBay

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	236024
Internet search
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #17

That is pretty cool. By the time I add a heat/cool tstat, pull the wires, put in a new control board, and add a heat strip I don't think it would be much less expensive. Especially when considering my time.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan