Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
My camper is only 30 amp, so I have to balance my loads. I keep the hot water off, as I am frequently running the air conditioner and dehumidifier. If I run the electric hot water at the same time, it gets very close to overloading system.
Same situation here. Only 30 amp supply and Water heater has a 1440W heating element (12 amp). Uses 40% of my available power when on.

When hot water isn't needed I just turn off the heater.

Same for when boondocking. When hot water isn't needed why waste the propane just to keep the tank hot?

I'll typically turn the water heater on when I prepare breakfast and it's hot for shower time. Then off for the day.

There are wide differences among RV users. Some are large units parked on seasonal sites and are essentially just second homes. Unlimited supply of water and power. Leaving the heater on is no big deal, especially if connected with a 50 amp power supply.

Then there are smaller units used for "Camping". Limited power, either from 30 amp supply or propane, makes shutting it down more of a necessity when not needed.

The "Best Practice" will depend on the individual circumstances.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I would have to disagree with that. I switched from a standard tank water heater heater at home to an on demand water heater. It has reduced my natural gas bill by $10/month. While the RV water heater certainly will not save as much, if I am not going to use any hot water from 8 pm to 8 am, I can't help but think that turning the water heater off for those coldest 12 hours of the night isn't going to save at least a little bit of electricity or propane.
That's because your only heating the water you need not the extra 40 -50 gallons .Kind of like comparing apples to oranges .
Propane I would turn off for sure .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Same situation here. Only 30 amp supply and Water heater has a 1440W heating element (12 amp). Uses 40% of my available power when on.

When hot water isn't needed I just turn off the heater.

Same for when boondocking. When hot water isn't needed why waste the propane just to keep the tank hot?

I'll typically turn the water heater on when I prepare breakfast and it's hot for shower time. Then off for the day.

There are wide differences among RV users. Some are large units parked on seasonal sites and are essentially just second homes. Unlimited supply of water and power. Leaving the heater on is no big deal, especially if connected with a 50 amp power supply.

Then there are smaller units used for "Camping". Limited power, either from 30 amp supply or propane, makes shutting it down more of a necessity when not needed.

The "Best Practice" will depend on the individual circumstances.
I guess you have a switch inside or turn off breaker .My switch is outside so I would either have to get dressed go outside turn switch on or use breaker .Plus I have 50 amp so no power problems
Or turn on propane .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #44

It does not hurt to have the propane and electricity on at the same time. The only advantage would be a faster refresh rate.
flyfisher6321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater