Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Leveling System - Listing to Port

I have the Lippert 6 point automatic hydraulic leveling system on my Cedar Creek 5th wheel. Since I have not in the past stayed in anyone place longer than 30 days, I never noticed this before.

We are in Maryland planning to stay 3 or 4 months. I set up my 5th wheel as normal using the automatic 6 point leveling system. System readout said RV level 0 degrees front and back, 0 degrees side to side.

After 30 days, I notice my bedroom door was swinging closed. I check the level and it read 5th wheel not level, side to side +8. I raised the left side of the RV so it again read 0 degrees.

3 weeks later the readout said side to side +5. I raised the left side so that it read -3 degrees (I assume the readout is in degrees).

Today, the readout reads +3 degrees side to side. Which means the left side of my 5th wheel lowered 6 degrees on the left side.

I check my hydraulic fluid, which reads it is at the proper level, and no loss of fluid.

The wheels do not seem to be sinking into the ground.

Has this happened to anyone else?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

It may not be a loss of fluid but rather one of the stop valves leaking thru at piston ram. I'm not real sure how to check for this.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It may not be a loss of fluid but rather one of the stop valves leaking thru at piston ram. I'm not real sure how to check for this.
I checked all the stabilizer legs, no obvious fluid.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I have the Lippert 6 point automatic hydraulic leveling system on my Cedar Creek 5th wheel. Since I have not in the past stayed in anyone place longer than 30 days, I never noticed this before.

We are in Maryland planning to stay 3 or 4 months. I set up my 5th wheel as normal using the automatic 6 point leveling system. System readout said RV level 0 degrees front and back, 0 degrees side to side.

After 30 days, I notice my bedroom door was swinging closed. I check the level and it read 5th wheel not level, side to side +8. I raised the left side of the RV so it again read 0 degrees.

3 weeks later the readout said side to side +5. I raised the left side so that it read -3 degrees (I assume the readout is in degrees).

Today, the readout reads +3 degrees side to side. Which means the left side of my 5th wheel lowered 6 degrees on the left side.

I check my hydraulic fluid, which reads it is at the proper level, and no loss of fluid.

The wheels do not seem to be sinking into the ground.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Mine does the exact same thing. I just "bump" it manually like you do periodically. However, I do have a very superficial "wet" look at one of the fittings on my front left ram. Not sure if that's enough to cause the issue after only a week or so.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Mine does the exact same thing. I just "bump" it manually like you do periodically. However, I do have a very superficial "wet" look at one of the fittings on my front left ram. Not sure if that's enough to cause the issue after only a week or so.
Thank you, I am glad I am not alone. I will check my fittings more closely.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #6

Any one of the three hydraulic rams on your street side may have a piston seal seeping causing that side to slowly creep down as each side of 3 cylinders are connected in the same loop. You'll not see any external signs of the issue as the seal(s) is on the piston. There is a way to check for piston seal leakage, but it requires removing hyd lines from fittings and bumping the power to the pump momentarily per a given procedure. Here's a link to how the hyd system works and is plumbed. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001531.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

Uneven level

I have a 2017 of the same model.
I notice when it is leveled that the island using a level is level.
However the kitchen drawers on the drivers side roll close.
The slide drawer I installed also rolls toward the drivers side.

Steve
calsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #8

You'll not find any RV that is level throughout the entire unit ... they just don't make em that well. Most of us find a location we're comfortable with and use that position to calibrate level. I think the OP has a major sustaining level issue and not from one check point to another.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
You'll not find any RV that is level throughout the entire unit ... they just don't make em that well. Most of us find a location we're comfortable with and use that position to calibrate level. I think the OP has a major sustaining level issue and not from one check point to another.
That is correct. Since I have never stayed in anyone place for the length of time I am in Maryland, this might have been going on from when I bought the RV 4 years ago, but since I would move every week or so, the "fade" was not noticeable.

Could it be the stabilizers on the driver side slowly go down over a 30 day period and the hydraulic fluid just goes back in the reservoir? Although the liquid is at the full line.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Assuming my piston seal seepage idea is correct, the oil in the cylinder below the piston seal will just seep past the seal and end up at the top side of the piston causing the cylinder to drop. The valve controlling the street side cylinders could also have a slight leak at its seat allowing fluid back in to the reservoir. Without testing each cylinder or the valve per a given procedure, my responses are just deductive guessing. Our hyd systems don't have directional valves to make things go one way or the other. The pump is bi-directional to make cylinders go in or out. Clockwise puts oil to one side of the cylinder piston, and counterclockwise puts oil to the other side of the piston. It's cheaper to build a hyd system this way. If you look at page 15 of the PDF I attached several responses up ... you'll get an idea of how the cylinders are tied together. Each valve listed is just a one way valve. It either allows fluid to pass or blocks it in the opposite direction. They are not directional valves.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post

If I want to check for "perfect" level, I put a level on the floor just inside the entry door and manually level the 5'er to it. Then I perform a "zero calibration" function on the Lippert system. I don't do it often.
After all, I list to one side enough as it is after a few cocktails. I don't need an unlevel RV adding to my normal navigation attempts inside the RV.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling