Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #1

LG Refrigerator while traveling

We are pulling out this weekend for our first long trip. I've read everything I can find on keeping the refrigerator cold and they all talk about switching the fridge to auto so it will jump to propane while hauling. My Sierra came with an LG fridge and for the life of me I can not find a switch for Auto, Electric or Propane. Does anyone know if the LG is equipped with this option or is it just the Dometic fridges?
Waynebruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

LG is just like your Home Refer! No Gas! Youroo!!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

If it is a residential fridge then no, 120 volts only. RV fridges have the propane option.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #4

Uhhh. Will it run on DC power while towing?
Waynebruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

Only if you have a Inverter! Youroo!!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynebruner View Post
Uhhh. Will it run on DC power while towing?
Your dealer should be ashamed for not going over this with you, during the PDI/walkthrough.
A residential fridge will only work on 120v AC from shore power or from an INverter connected to the batteries.
You need a minimum of two deep cycle batteries, preferably 6v golf cart batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #7

I have four six volt Trojans plus a 1,000 watt inverter, refrigerator will work for four days without being hooked up to 120 volts. While riding on the road the vehicle alternator keeps the battery charged some
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

You will be fine. Mine can run for several days on just the battery. Just make sure it is cold before you head out.
mblee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblee21 View Post
You will be fine. Mine can run for several days on just the battery. Just make sure it is cold before you head out.
Your residential (no propane) refrigerator will run for several days on just battery? I didn't know they would do that.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

i would strongly suggest that you test the refrigerator before you leave. by this i mean turn your inverter on and make sure the refrigerator is running without shore power connected or a generator running. this will prove to yourself that you know how to run the refrigerator using just the batteries.

also make sure your batteries are fully charged before you leave. if you can accomplish this the issue will be how long your batteries can run the refrigerator before they get discharged. if you can run the refrigerator on shore power in order to cool it down before you leave your batteries will last longer than if they have to accomplish the cool down while traveling. but plan on hooking up shore power (or generator) as soon as you arrive at your destination to let the refrigerator run off of shore power rather than the inverter and to also recharge the batteries. hope it all works!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Your residential (no propane) refrigerator will run for several days on just battery? I didn't know they would do that.

Well I took my Camper to my storage building and thought I turned everything off. One of my kids forgot something in the camper so I went back to get it about two and half days later and the fridge was still on and running. I couldn’t believe it.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Well I took my Camper to my storage building and thought I turned everything off. One of my kids forgot something in the camper so I went back to get it about two and half days later and the fridge was still on and running. I couldn’t believe it.
I have absolutely no experience with residential refrigerators other than what I read here. That’s why I asked. Looks like having the doors closed all that time really helped.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynebruner View Post
We are pulling out this weekend for our first long trip. I've read everything I can find on keeping the refrigerator cold and they all talk about switching the fridge to auto so it will jump to propane while hauling. My Sierra came with an LG fridge and for the life of me I can not find a switch for Auto, Electric or Propane. Does anyone know if the LG is equipped with this option or is it just the Dometic fridges?
You should have a switch in your control panel labeled Inverter. Kick that switch on when you disconnect from shore power and that should keep your fridge running. Make sure your batteries are fully charged. We usually cool the fridge on shore power before switching to battery.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
This was on just 1 Battery? Not plugged in to Shore Power also? Youroo!!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #15

Residential '120v' fridges only 'run' as they need to, when the temp rises above the 'set' limit, not 24/7 as some would believe. Yes, it's possible that many folks can get way more time on their Inverter, than they think, with the fridge 'on'... but many have also been led down the 'I heard someone say...' road that somehow a residential 120v fridge 'sucks' battery power. I think that these 'terms' sometimes make folks fearful of the 'residential' fridge option, but it's a lot overblown, in my opinion.

Once you get used to how to make sure the batteries have charge, it's just like making sure that your propane tank has propane...it's a maintenance job we all have to get used to.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
Road Warrior

Having just traded a diesel pusher with a RV propane/AC frig to a 2018 XL 369DS with a residential LG frig I can unequivocally tell you its like night and day for the better with the residential LG. Its fantastic not to have to worry so much about being "level" or having to make sure it switches between propane and electric constantly, not to mention the maintenance issues with those dinosaurs. Having a worry free full sized frig with ice and filtered water in the door is wonderful and I would NEVER go back to the propane/elec version. It also helps that the 369DS comes standard with 4 house batteries...

2015 Fleetwood Expedition Pusher
Towing a VW Beetle Convertible
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This was on just 1 Battery? Not plugged in to Shore Power also? Youroo!!

My unit came with two batteries. I think most with residential fridges do. Well they should if they don’t. Not plugged into shore. I will never have anything but a residential fridge. I don’t boondock so that isn’t a factor to me.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #18

I think we have people posting each other rather than the OP, hence the confusion.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedawson View Post
Having just traded a diesel pusher with a RV propane/AC frig to a 2018 XL 369DS with a residential LG frig I can unequivocally tell you its like night and day for the better with the residential LG. Its fantastic not to have to worry so much about being "level" or having to make sure it switches between propane and electric constantly, not to mention the maintenance issues with those dinosaurs. Having a worry free full sized frig with ice and filtered water in the door is wonderful and I would NEVER go back to the propane/elec version. It also helps that the 369DS comes standard with 4 house batteries...
there is no such thing as a worry free fridge in a rv . get many calls on residential fridges going out even though they may be less then a yr old . Does LG know their fridges are running while going down a bumpy hwy then get calls for warranty work . also most techs do not work on residential fridges . so you'll have to find that appliance repair shop for warranty
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #20

I have a Moffat residential fridge in my Heritage Glen 5ver. I have 2 x 12 volt batteries in the front hatch and an inverter screwed to the wall of my side hatch. My inverter has a square red on/off button.. then it is on the LED display will register home many volts it putting out and you will hear a fan. As the other posts have commented, I cool my fridge and charge the batteries while plugged in at the house before we leave. When towing, the truck charges the batteries and the inverter converts the battery power to 120v to power the fridge. In my trailer only the Fridge recepticle is connected to the inverter.. all the other recepticles are dead.

I have thought of, wiring another circuit from my bedroom to the inverternand adding a couple more batteries so it could power my CPAP mchine if there was a power failure. but for now I have a 3100 watt inverter generator that I can power the trailer from.

Jeff
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, travel